Opinion wanted Dubai Marina

• Thread starter Andy Smith
  • Start date
  • Watchers 3

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Camera type
DSLR camera
Camera sensor
Full-frame
Another image from Dubai last year. This is Dubai Marina, shot taken before security ran me off for not having a permit to shoot photo's in there.
I am not a bad guy, I lived just opposite so took my tripod and camera over early one evening and took a few snaps. I didn't know you needed a permit to shoot there to be honest, until security came and told me to pack my stuff away and leave. I asked them about all the other people with phones who were happily taking photo's at my side of the same scene, and security told me there was nothing they could do about phone cameras but they had been told that anyone with a professional looking camera needed a permit. I wonder if they would class a Leica as a professional looking camera... :cool:
Prats in hats, but I did explain it was for personal use only and not for commercial work, and they did apologize but said they were just following the rules, so all part of the excitement of grabbing a shot you like when you can.
Canon 5D Mk III, EF16-35mm f/2.8L III @ 16mm,
f/8.0, ISO 50, 3.2 secs

Attachments

• Dubai Marina_01_2048 long edge_2048x1366_H_50.jpg
    Dubai Marina_01_2048 long edge_2048x1366_H_50.jpg
    493 KB · Views: 9
Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Very nice picture!
I love the crystal clear focus and the warm colors of this early night.
Personally, I would have removed the black lines (cable car?) that you see above the buildings on the left.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Very nice picture!
I love the crystal clear focus and the warm colors of this early night.
Personally, I would have removed the black lines (cable car?) that you see above the buildings on the left.
Thanks Morexp57, I did think about it, but it is a Zip line that goes across the water and quite a well known feature in Dubai Marina so I decided to leave them in, as they are really part of the scene there.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
Nice city scape Andy Smith Andy Smith !
Dubai has so many views and spots for photography. As long as the weather situation helps it. I mean that if it happens to be cloudy it helps a lot to create magnificent cityscapes.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Nice city scape Andy Smith Andy Smith !
Dubai has so many views and spots for photography. As long as the weather situation helps it. I mean that if it happens to be cloudy it helps a lot to create magnificent cityscapes.
Thanks panos_adgr,
There are so many nice spots in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Sharjah for photography you are correct, although it is challenging now as with a decent camera and tripod set up, security will very quickly move you on. A lot of my images were taken hand held for this very reason, so I could snap and move. I asked security many times where I could get a permit to photograph certain areas and they did not know, I even contacted the management company of the areas and they were not very helpful neither, it seems they only provide permits to high profile photographers or magazines etc.
So I never really got the shots I wanted with long exposures and good fast moving clouds. Maybe one day :)

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
I know how hard it is to photograph Andy Smith Andy Smith ... I've visited Dubai in the past with a group and each time our guide was giving us instruction where and how we could photograph. It was a professional trip which lasted for a week and I had the chance to visit unique places such as the royal suite of Burj Al Arab the man made Island marinas, malls etc.

Life experience