Websites How to build the best Photography websites ?

• Thread starter NataliaFlejszarPhoto
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

A personal website is as much important as photography quality, as this showcase more wider the photographic style and experience.
NataliaFlejszarPhoto

NataliaFlejszarPhoto

Staff member
May 18, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Hello!
I want to create beautiful photo website finally... but I can't decide what I want to.. Photo blog or just simply Photo portfolio or more complicated websites.. I have tried a lot of bulding websites opinions, but I think Word Press is the best for me...šŸ¤”

Do you have own website? How to create the best one. ..?
Let's talk about!

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
I used to have a web site I built with Wix, but actually found I preferred using my adobe portfolio and behance, which are free if you have a subscription to photoshop.
I actually haven't updated them in a while though, so thanks for reminding me to get on that and sort it all out.
I found the pre made templates on adobe portfolio to be very good, nice, clean and straightforward.
You can quickly add images straight from Lightroom also if you use that, and you can create custom pages for a blog at any time if you want to.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
If you want to start a website that will be easy to build and sell some artwork then try pic-time.
It is easy to set up with very nice layout.
You can use squarespace as well which is one of the most 'to go' solutions.

If you want to sell digital photos you can try etsy.com which is like creating an online store to sell photos with prices that YOU choose.

You can also set up a page in picfair to sell photos with the price that YOU choose and a very small commission of the site.

But Behance is also something very nice like Andy Smith Andy Smith mentioned but is more like a personal portfolio hosting place. It host many serious artists and professionals.

• Staff
NataliaFlejszarPhoto

NataliaFlejszarPhoto

Staff member
May 18, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Thanks guys for the advices!
I have chosen Word Press for my blog and the official website, and Finnish service Kuvat.fi for photo portfolio. I love Word Press because I can bulding my own side with all "my own" it's complicated but if you learn, you don't want another... šŸ˜‚ of course I can build photo gallery in give same website but Kuvat.fi is just much cheaper for that offering more space and great possibilities for photo gallery that working well with World Press...

Here's my first photo blog post with shot squirrels story... that will be continued šŸ˜„. Photo gallery also.. and everything šŸ˜„

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I love your squirrel pictures! They are such cute animals.

• Staff
NataliaFlejszarPhoto

NataliaFlejszarPhoto

Staff member
May 18, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I love your squirrel pictures! They are such cute animals.

Thank you! Yes they look cute! But they are a small monsters in the cuty body šŸ˜‚ I'm doing a project about squirrels and birds in the forest close my home... and the blog post will be continued to the spring or maybe longer šŸ˜ƒ

Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
NataliaFlejszarPhoto NataliaFlejszarPhoto .For photography, you need specific CMS, I had a website built on WordPress and after a while I was getting lots of spam, and I had to change the website.

Now I have 2 websites, 1 business and 1 personal blog built with same CMS.

So WordPress is not really an ideal for photography portfolio, might be good from SEO point.

Andy Smith Andy Smith I saw Wix, what a pointless platform, I had a look, it was ugly and they basically advertise on your website. And even that, you have to pay a lot of money monthly, so I would definitely not recommend that. But haven't tried Adobe portfolio and can't say anything. However, I like when I own my domain name and everything related to it.

panos_adgr panos_adgr , I have tried etsy once, it was waste of time. Don't know how other people make money there, but I haven't sold a single print on it, however there is very small fee they charge monthly to keep your items on the platform.

I haven't tried other once, so can't comment on them.

That's from my personal experience. šŸ˜‰

At the end you have to use what's convenient for you and also depending what you want to achieve.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
It is hard to make money on stock sites. There is a lot of competition and great photographers out there. I've got picfair with some photos (I should have uploaded more) but I had no sales. I have it more than 2 years. I tried once pic-time which I liked it more but I didn't devote much time. I will someday.

Jack Jack I haven't tried etsy either but I've seen and read that some photographers do have some sales. I think etsy is not the best place although it is a bit popular.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
It is hard to make money on stock sites. There is a lot of competition and great photographers out there. I've got picfair with some photos (I should have uploaded more) but I had no sales. I have it more than 2 years. I tried once pic-time which I liked it more but I didn't devote much time. I will someday.

Jack Jack I haven't tried etsy either but I've seen and read that some photographers do have some sales. I think etsy is not the best place although it is a bit popular.

Etsy is popular if you selling hand made stuff, but photography is not really that unique to make money. Try Wirestock, just uploaded some images there and see if I can generate some money. Honestly, nowadays is really hard to make money from photography, is more like a hobby rather than job.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
Etsy is popular if you selling hand made stuff, but photography is not really that unique to make money. Try Wirestock, just uploaded some images there and see if I can generate some money. Honestly, nowadays is really hard to make money from photography, is more like a hobby rather than job.
I will check it out.
It needs probably more effort than I have put until now...

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I will check it out.
It needs probably more effort than I have put until now...
Check wirestock, you may find it useful. Basically you upload your images, and automatically will appear on all stock Websites. The idea is ok, however to upload more images you have to pay monthly subscription, which I'm not happy with that. Basically, they are the one who will make money šŸ˜…

NataliaFlejszarPhoto

NataliaFlejszarPhoto

Staff member
May 18, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
NataliaFlejszarPhoto NataliaFlejszarPhoto .For photography, you need specific CMS, I had a website built on WordPress and after a while I was getting lots of spam, and I had to change the website.

Now I have 2 websites, 1 business and 1 personal blog built with same CMS.

So WordPress is not really an ideal for photography portfolio, might be good from SEO point.

Andy Smith Andy Smith I saw Wix, what a pointless platform, I had a look, it was ugly and they basically advertise on your website. And even that, you have to pay a lot of money monthly, so I would definitely not recommend that. But haven't tried Adobe portfolio and can't say anything. However, I like when I own my domain name and everything related to it.

panos_adgr panos_adgr , I have tried etsy once, it was waste of time. Don't know how other people make money there, but I haven't sold a single print on it, however there is very small fee they charge monthly to keep your items on the platform.

I haven't tried other once, so can't comment on them.

That's from my personal experience. šŸ˜‰

At the end you have to use what's convenient for you and also depending what you want to achieve.

Surely Word Press has also had sides as the popular platform... but I've tried another platforms and WP I like still mostly ... I'll work on improving safety of the website ...

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Surely Word Press has also had sides as the popular platform... but I've tried another platforms and WP I like still mostly ... I'll work on improving safety of the website ...

Safety, it's all about how many plugins you install on your WP website, some of them can be vulnerable for hackers.

As said, for photography portfolio, you ideally want a CMS designed for artists. :)