Photography Sharing images on Instagram makes you a better photographer?

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

General photography discussion.
Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
How many of you and how often are you sharing images on Instagram. Is that sharing pictures on Instagram makes you a better or good photographer?

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
I share on IG mainly for friends & family, or anyone who wants to follow me. I don't think it makes me a better photographer though, just means I get more practice if I post regularly and helps me seek out new locations for new images.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I share on IG mainly for friends & family, or anyone who wants to follow me. I don't think it makes me a better photographer though, just means I get more practice if I post regularly and helps me seek out new locations for new images.

What’s the main goal when sharing on Instagram ? I don’t really share much on Ig, because I don’t really have time.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
What’s the main goal when sharing on Instagram ? I don’t really share much on Ig, because I don’t really have time.
My main goal is to share my images with friends and family, that's all really.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I don't really have friends on Instagram, don't even have an Facebook to be honest. All my images I do share on my own website. And on forums which I own.

I've tried before, but is time consuming to keep IG up to date.

And when I browse around, it does show non relevant pictures, like naked girls 😂😂

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
It's not exactly landscape photography, but photos of naked girls have their charms too.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
It's not exactly landscape photography, but photos of naked girls have their charms too.

Then I'm sure if this forum was about naked ladies. Everyone would forget about landscape photography and we will see a high numbers of new members 😂😂

M

MartinF

Apr 7, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
To be honest, I think sharing on Instagram makes me a worse photographer! Instead of taking the photos I like best, I tend to favour compositions and photos that work in the minimal format on IG. For example I tend to crop or zoom more instead of letting small details in a landscape remain small and only come forward when viewing the image in larger format. Also, I tend to over saturate my images to make them stand out more in the massive flow of images...

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Same for me.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
I have for the last 11 years (to the moment my words are written) an account on Flickr and I also have an account on IG for the last 5 years I think.

I certainly do not believe that sharing my photos have made me improved. The sure thing is that seeing and watching other people has made me improved in the ways of studying them in the fields of aesthetics, composition, ways of expression, technique, artistic genre, etc.

I'm not adding critique in my discussion as I believe that the majority of people in social media are not able to provide proper critique, because most of them do not study art, they criticise subjectively through their expressive and emotional prisma and the majority tends to promote their own 'rightness' of things.

Art has to do with personal motivation and expression.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
To be honest, I think sharing on Instagram makes me a worse photographer! Instead of taking the photos I like best, I tend to favour compositions and photos that work in the minimal format on IG. For example I tend to crop or zoom more instead of letting small details in a landscape remain small and only come forward when viewing the image in larger format. Also, I tend to over saturate my images to make them stand out more in the massive flow of images...

I do over saturate my images as well sometimes, but not all the time look good. I don't really have time to share on social media sites, unfortunately which I don't have them, I have an account on IG, but haven't uploaded there anything for ages.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I have for the last 11 years (to the moment my words are written) an account on Flickr and I also have an account on IG for the last 5 years I think.

I certainly do not believe that sharing my photos have made me improved. The sure thing is that seeing and watching other people has made me improved in the ways of studying them in the fields of aesthetics, composition, ways of expression, technique, artistic genre, etc.

I'm not adding critique in my discussion as I believe that the majority of people in social media are not able to provide proper critique, because most of them do not study art, they criticise subjectively through their expressive and emotional prisma and the majority tends to promote their own 'rightness' of things.

Art has to do with personal motivation and expression.

There's no way you can get some proper opinion or criticism on Social medias website nowadays. If your pictures are really good, you'd get lot of likes and maybe some comments "beautiful photo" or something like that.

I don't think photographers are focused on art, just mass taking images and sharing them for likes. That's what I believe and I see.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
There's no way you can get some proper opinion or criticism on Social medias website nowadays. If your pictures are really good, you'd get lot of likes and maybe some comments "beautiful photo" or something like that.

I don't think photographers are focused on art, just mass taking images and sharing them for likes. That's what I believe and I see.
I agree Jack. With a few words you described the situation as it is.
People are addicted with social media mostly because they want to 'feed' their inner need for self acceptance, projection and recognition. And they use these tools with the above as an objective. They build their mutual friend environment in order to develop and sustain a social-psychological feedback for their inner needs. It is also an easy way. Press, click and wait for the result.

As for art, most of the people have absolutely no idea or not even the slight interest to study just the basics to help them at least in the self acknowledgment of their artistic (if this term can be used for these cases) effort or approach.

And to do some self critique I'm not writing the above feeling personally that I'm an art expert. Though, truth must be spoken.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No

The challenge with Instagram is that people flick through the images quickly and only stop when something catches their eye. They will decide within 1 or 2 seconds to either press like or just move on.
Hardly anyone will stop and study an image for longer than a few seconds, so they never appreciate the play on light, composition, depth of field, shutter speed or any other work the photographer has put in.
A blurry picture of a cloud that resembles an angel will probably always get more likes than a well thought out, planned and executed landscape shot. :cool:

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
The challenge with Instagram is that people flick through the images quickly and only stop when something catches their eye. They will decide within 1 or 2 seconds to either press like or just move on.
Hardly anyone will stop and study an image for longer than a few seconds, so they never appreciate the play on light, composition, depth of field, shutter speed or any other work the photographer has put in.
A blurry picture of a cloud that resembles an angel will probably always get more likes than a well thought out, planned and executed landscape shot. :cool:
Hello Andy!
Well described. It is so. Although we have the means to see and study other photos and people, we instead do the opposite.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Spot on. Also, you can’t really see big difference between pictures taken with a phone and with a camera due of compression. Sometimes you see that images taken with a phone has more likes.

Anyway, you Right, you can’t get constructive feedback on Facebook or Instagram. That’s because of all that magic infinite scrolling down which I hate.

NataliaFlejszarPhoto

NataliaFlejszarPhoto

Staff member
May 18, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I share my pictures on Instagram and Facebook but I hate the fact that social medias broke the image quality so aggressively, we can't believe in what we see there, non sharp photo can be just with broken quality 😔.
But on social medias is easy to get followers I like to people enjoying my work 😊👌
But social medias don't make me better Photographer but just by following talented photographers 🙃👌

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I share my pictures on Instagram and Facebook but I hate the fact that social medias broke the image quality so aggressively, we can't believe in what we see there, non sharp photo can be just with broken quality 😔.
But on social medias is easy to get followers I like to people enjoying my work 😊👌
But social medias don't make me better Photographer but just by following talented photographers 🙃👌

Because there are so many images shared there, they have to compress and resize every single photo. Obviously, they want to cut down the cost as well, but make money in the same time.

On social media sites you can get lots of likes and followers, not much feedback.