• Thread starter Chavezshutter
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
Opinion wanted 

Star Trails and lightpainting - Altona Foreshore Reserve, Victoria

Camera type
Mirrorless camera
Camera sensor
Full-frame
EXIF
Sony A7iii, Tamron 17-28mm f2.8, intervalometer, tripod, background (star trails) f/3.2, ISO 320, 16 seconds - about 500 shots. foreground f/3.2, ISO 400, 10 seconds - 18 shots
Hello šŸ˜€,

Many of you may have seen this photo before posted in Macroderie, but for those that haven't I wanted to share it here where it suits better. I also wanted to post this to show another capabilty of Sequator which I am currently making a guide for. Hope you like the photo.
lawst.jpg

Reactions: Morexp57
Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Personally I am not a huge fan of star trails shots chavezshutter, but I do kinda like this one. It is growing on me more every time I see it.
I really like the foreground and the lighting is great, a little bright to the bottom left of the main tree but the branches look fantastic. I like the darker trees further away also as they add depth.
Nicely done

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Very nice one. I hope you had a good book to read during the time it took for taking about 518 photos. What was that, about 2hours and 15 minutes? And how long does something like that take to finish on the computer?

C

Chavezshutter

Feb 4, 2022
Personally I am not a huge fan of star trails shots chavezshutter, but I do kinda like this one. It is growing on me more every time I see it.
I really like the foreground and the lighting is great, a little bright to the bottom left of the main tree but the branches look fantastic. I like the darker trees further away also as they add depth.
Nicely done
Thanks Andy Smith Andy Smith! Most star trial shots have white, overblown star trials which I don't think are too attractive. It is a common mistake to use the same settings for regular astrophotography ( ie, max open aparture, high ISO) in star trails and this robs the final image of colours in the stars as well as they make a messy image from capturing too many stars which spin in the final image and become overcluttered.

One of the big advantages of star trials is that they are not as sensitive to light pollution and a lens with a more modest aparture like f4 can be used successfully to make a star trail, you would struggle a bit doing regular astro with an f/4. You can also drop your ISO quite sharpy in star trails on comparison to regular astrophotography. I plan to do at least a 6 hour trail leading to just before sunrise for my next star trail, this should get even more colour into the star trail. Take a look at Lincoln Harris on IG to see how its really done, amazing colours. Thanks for your comments šŸ™

Last edited:
C

Chavezshutter

Feb 4, 2022
Very nice one. I hope you had a good book to read during the time it took for taking about 518 photos. What was that, about 2hours and 15 minutes? And how long does something like that take to finish on the computer?
I think it took over 3 hours to shoot it all, some cloud rolled over for a little while and most of those frames did not make to the final image. I had a small tent with me which I setup while I waited. This photo took a long time to edit, months of editing mainly because of aligment issues with the 18 lightpainted frames. Something I didnt take into account was that trees sway in the wind, sturdier foregrounds are a lot easier to do this technique on. The actual processing of the 500 frames into a star trail doesnt take too long at all. Sequator is pretty impressive in that regard, its pretty damn fast. Which is why I hope to get some our members into it with my guide.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I think it took over 3 hours to shoot it all, some cloud rolled over for a little while and most of those frames did not make to the final image. I had a small tent with me which I setup while I waited. This photo took a long time to edit, months of editing mainly because of aligment issues with the 18 lightpainted frames. Something I didnt take into account was that trees sway in the wind, sturdier foregrounds are a lot easier to do this technique on. The actual processing of the 500 frames into a star trail doesnt take too long at all. Sequator is pretty impressive in that regard, its pretty damn fast. Which is why I hope to get some our members into it with my guide.
I will have a look into it later today.