Opinion wanted The Old Plant

• Thread starter panos_adgr
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
Camera type
DSLR camera
Camera sensor
Full-frame
EXIF
Nikon D850
Tamron AF 15-30mm f/2.8 VC G2
@15mm
s 1/40
f/8.0
iso 64
The Old Plant

From my today's afternoon walk on the park.
I didin't have much time for photos. The sun sets everyday earlier and I barely catch it afterwork.
The last days I've been experimenting and the park is a fine place. Ultrawide is something I haven't had in the past and it is something completely new full of new creatice opportunities! DSC_5907.JPG

Last edited:
Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I like it a lot. As usual you’ve got a very nice colored sky. A simple yet powerfull composition.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
I like it a lot. As usual you’ve got a very nice colored sky. A simple yet powerfull composition.
Thank you my friend Morexp57 Morexp57 !
I love skies but with clouds.😁 They are very dramatic!
I was experimenting with the vertical framing and the lines of the road.

NataliaFlejszarPhoto

NataliaFlejszarPhoto

Staff member
May 18, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
The Old Plant

From my today's afternoon walk on the park.
I didin't have much time for photos. The sun sets everyday earlier and I barely catch it afterwork.
The last days I've been experimenting and the park is a fine place. Ultrawide is something I haven't had in the past and it is something completely new full of new creatice opportunities! View attachment 761

I love the ultra angel lens effect! I shoot a lot that kind of landscapes as you know panos_adgr panos_adgr 😊 I really love my lens 7-14mm pro Olympus!
Very interesting picture with the old abandoned buldings, the colours are fantastic also 🤩

NataliaFlejszarPhoto

NataliaFlejszarPhoto

Staff member
May 18, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
Thanks again for the nice comments Natalia!
It is a very beautiful place. It is a park next to the sea and near my home. The factory is indeed abandoned and it used to be a fertilizer plant.

NataliaFlejszarPhoto

NataliaFlejszarPhoto

Staff member
May 18, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Thanks again for the nice comments Natalia!
It is a very beautiful place. It is a park next to the sea and near my home. The factory is indeed abandoned and it used to be a fertilizer plant.
How long the factory has been abandoned? Do you know the factory story and what they produced there?
I'm interested about abandoned buildings stories 😄💀☠

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
How long the factory has been abandoned? Do you know the factory story and what they produced there?
I'm interested about abandoned buildings stories 😄💀☠
The Fertilizer Plant of Drapetsona (name of area) was built next to the sea in 1910. Since then it was producing fertilizers and chemicals. In 1945 it changed ownership and continued working until 1999. It was an important factory because many locals were working there. The bad thing was that it was poluting heavily the air of the area. I remember many times, when I was a child a strange smell sometimes, depending on the wind direction.

In 1993 it change ownership and was an asset of the National Bank Of Greece in an attempt to adjust its bad economics. In 1999 as I said it shut down.
Since then it is abandoned. From 2018-2019 around the area of the factory was built the Park called 'Park of Labour' or Parko Ergatias (in Greek Πάρκο Εργατιάς) but the park is no owned and named Polichoros Lipasmaton Drapetsonas which means Multi Purpose Space of Fertilizers (from the plant) of Drapetsona (name of the area).

The factory from 1999 until 2018 when the park was built, was ravaged by gipsies who tore apart the interior metal structures to sell iron and take the money. Now it is in bad shape and in 2019 a strong earthquake damaged it more.

Link and translate to English

It stand as a monument of Labor of west Suburbans of Athens-Piraeus. The area I live is a place where working class lives. The past years there were many factories in the area flourishing.
Some of the were
AGET IRAKLIS Cement factory it still exists and serves as warehouse with no production. (Air pollution and ground)
Fertilizer Plant abandoned (air pollution and ground)
Public Company of Electricity still active only when needed. Produces Power by burning fossil fuel (Air Pollution and Ground)
Facilities of storing waste and fuel (still active with residents fighting and protesting very often) air pollution.

The good thing is that pollution is highly reduced nowadays and the city is upgraded a lot by great efforts of the local public administration. We have the park which is grown every year around these old facilities upgrading the life quality.

And one final thing. In front of the Park on the sea took place one of the most legendary Naval Battles in history. The Naval Battle of Salamina where Greeks with significant less ships won the Persian fleet. King Xerxes was sitting on a local mountain watching the Naval Battle and his fleet being destroyed. (480 B.C.)

Also near the abandoned factory is the Tomb of Themistokles.
Themistocles, (born c. 524 bce—died c. 460), Athenian politician and naval strategist who was the creator of Athenian sea power and the chief saviour of Greece from subjection to the Persian empire at the Battle of Salamis in 480 bce.

I thing I overdid it.😂

Last edited:
NataliaFlejszarPhoto

NataliaFlejszarPhoto

Staff member
May 18, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
The Fertilizer Plant of Drapetsona (name of area) was built next to the sea in 1910. Since then it was producing fertilizers and chemicals. In 1945 it changed ownership and continued working until 1999. It was an important factory because many locals were working there. The bad thing was that it was poluting heavily the air of the area. I remember many times, when I was a child a strange smell sometimes, depending on the wind direction.

In 1993 it change ownership and was an asset of the National Bank Of Greece in an attempt to adjust its bad economics. In 1999 as I said it shut down.
Since then it is abandoned. From 2018-2019 around the area of the factory was built the Park called 'Park of Labour' or Parko Ergatias (in Greek Πάρκο Εργατιάς) but the park is no owned and named Polichoros Lipasmaton Drapetsonas which means Multi Purpose Space of Fertilizers (from the plant) of Drapetsona (name of the area).

The factory from 1999 until 2018 when the park was built, was ravaged by gipsies who tore apart the interior metal structures to sell iron and take the money. Now it is in bad shape and in 2019 a strong earthquake damaged it more.

Link and translate to English

It stand as a monument of Labor of west Suburbans of Athens-Piraeus. The area I live is a place where working class lives. The past years there were many factories in the area flourishing.
Some of the were
AGET IRAKLIS Cement factory it still exists and serves as warehouse with no production. (Air pollution and ground)
Fertilizer Plant abandoned (air pollution and ground)
Public Company of Electricity still active only when needed. Produces Power by burning fossil fuel (Air Pollution and Ground)
Facilities of storing waste and fuel (still active with residents fighting and protesting very often) air pollution.

The good thing is that pollution is highly reduced nowadays and the city is upgraded a lot by great efforts of the local public administration. We have the park which is grown every year around these old facilities upgrading the life quality.

And one final thing. In front of the Park on the sea took place one of the most legendary Naval Battles in history. The Naval Battle of Salamina where Greeks with significant less ships won the Persian fleet. King Xerxes was sitting on a local mountain watching the Naval Battle and his fleet being destroyed. (480 B.C.)

Also near the abandoned factory is the Tomb of Themistokles.
Themistocles, (born c. 524 bce—died c. 460), Athenian politician and naval strategist who was the creator of Athenian sea power and the chief saviour of Greece from subjection to the Persian empire at the Battle of Salamis in 480 bce.

I thing I overdid it.😂
Very interesting history of the factory! Thank you !
We have in Oulu one abandoned factory also the history is long also but sadly newdays it looks very sadly ... I need to find pictures and share with you 😊

Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
Beautiful photos from inside the factory, but I believe you should be careful as it could be dangerous walking under that roof. Looks like the roof is made from metal.

Must be really old, did your local council think to take the building down?
It is old. But it was active until 1999. It ended up like this because gypsies and other people ravaged the building to take as much Iron as they could to sell it and take the money.

The whole area is in the holding of the National Bank of Greece which guaranteed with lawn the economical reform of the business in 1993 I think. It is not owned by the Bank but technically it is like it belongs to it because of the unpaid dept.

The Mayor went through a lot of law procedures and gained back a big part of the area (all the coast line) to reform it and upgraded in favor of the citizens. He is building and upgrading the park the last 4 years and gave us a wonderful place! All people praise our Mayor for what he did, because all the coastal line around is harbors, ship yards and next to the park is the second biggest commercial harbour in cargo transportation in Europe owned by COSCO the Chinese colossus. I some of my photos you can see the cranes. So the mayor wanted to keep this large coastline and build a huge park for the people.

And he did it!

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
I will add a few more photos from the interior. I took them in July 2018. Now the factory is triple fenced and entrance is not possible at all.

DSC_6140.JPGDSC_6136_1.JPGDSC_6138_1.JPGDSC_6131_1.JPGDSC_6126.JPG

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
Quite an ugly place, but beautiful pictures !
I like this place a lot. Yes. It looks ugly but if you could go around you would be able to find some nice spots for photos. I was always very cautious and when I had the chance to go inside I didn't explore the place. It has so many traps and dangerous spots that you couldn't focus on photographing easily.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Quite an ugly place, but beautiful pictures !
If you have good eyes to details, everything ugly, can turn in some beautiful places.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
It is old. But it was active until 1999. It ended up like this because gypsies and other people ravaged the building to take as much Iron as they could to sell it and take the money.
That's what happens when there are no security measures in place.