Gear advice Best tripod for landscape

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

A discussion about gear such camera, lenses, tripods, and other equipments.
Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
What’s the best tripod for landscape photography you’d recommend , which is solid, affordable and not too heavy? This is more like a newbie question:)

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
What do you class as affordable Jack?
I use a MeFoto C2350 Globetrotter Carbon Fibre tripod which has never let me down yet in over 12 years of abuse. I use a Leofoto NB 40 panoramic ball head which is secure, solid and dependable.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
What do you class as affordable Jack?
I use a MeFoto C2350 Globetrotter Carbon Fibre tripod which has never let me down yet in over 12 years of abuse. I use a Leofoto NB 40 panoramic ball head which is secure, solid and dependable.

Affordable a believe within everyone's budget. 🤔

I know you get what you pay for, but not everyone can afford expensive tripods.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Affordable a believe within everyone's budget. 🤔

I know you get what you pay for, but not everyone can afford expensive tripods.
I would say the MeFoto C2350 Globetrotter Carbon Fibre tripod is affordable then Jack, it comes in at around $350 with a decent ball head attached. It has a load capacity of 26.4 lb and fold down to around 16 inches for easy carrying. Weight is 3.5 lb, so not so heavy but it is sturdy and very strong as it's carbon fibre. There is a weight hook on the centre column to add ballast if needed in windy weather, and one leg can be removed to act as a monopod if required.
All in all a nice tripod for a reasonable price I think.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
I would suggest a carbon tripod and buy the highest in budget you can afford with your money. Consider a head which can move 3 axis with a removable bracket to ease you when you mount your camera.

I would suggest Manfrotto or Benro. The Manfrottos are very very good but more pricy. The Benros have good value for money. I use a Benro fiber tripod. It is very light, rigid and is fully serviceable and adjustable by the user. It comes with all the needed tools. It has very reliable lock pads that are also adjustable.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Do you always take your tripod with you when going out with the camera? The only time i took mine with me was when i was doing the light trail test. I always walk around with the camera in my hand with the strap hanging on its side.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
Do you always take your tripod with you when going out with the camera? The only time i took mine with me was when i was doing the light trail test. I always walk around with the camera in my hand with the strap hanging on its side.
Yes. I have my tripod with me 99.9% of the times. The last 3 to 4 years it is a must. Except sometimes when I go out to do street.

C

Chavezshutter

Feb 4, 2022
I went with an alloy metal tripod and while it has served me well for the last 3 years or so but it adds considerable weight to my backpack and that can limit the distances I am willing to travel while carrying it. The best landscape spots are always a little out of the way. I am trying to upgrade my tripod this year and I have been impressed with my brother's Sirui tripod, its well built but the best part is their service - he had small issue with one of his legs and when he contacted them he had a whole leg assembly within a week and had his tripod as good as new.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I would say the MeFoto C2350 Globetrotter Carbon Fibre tripod is affordable then Jack, it comes in at around $350 with a decent ball head attached. It has a load capacity of 26.4 lb and fold down to around 16 inches for easy carrying. Weight is 3.5 lb, so not so heavy but it is sturdy and very strong as it's carbon fibre. There is a weight hook on the centre column to add ballast if needed in windy weather, and one leg can be removed to act as a monopod if required.
All in all a nice tripod for a reasonable price I think.

Can you show some pictures ? The price seems to be slightly expensive. :D

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Can you show some pictures ? The price seems to be slightly expensive. :D
Hi Jack,

some photos and description here:

I have changed the ball head on mine now, and use a Leofoto NB40 now, just because after so many years when there was a long, heavy lens attached the original head started slipping slightly when I tightened it. Other than that absolutely no issue, I have used this tripod in the field for astro with long exposures of 3 to 5 minutes without any shake or vibrations, so good enough for me. :)

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Hi Jack,

some photos and description here:

I have changed the ball head on mine now, and use a Leofoto NB40 now, just because after so many years when there was a long, heavy lens attached the original head started slipping slightly when I tightened it. Other than that absolutely no issue, I have used this tripod in the field for astro with long exposures of 3 to 5 minutes without any shake or vibrations, so good enough for me. :)

i like it honestly, mine is this one, purchased on 2018 , haven’t used much. By the way, how can you do so long exposure? I thought the max you can do is 30 seconds.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
i like it honestly, mine is this one, purchased on 2018 , haven’t used much. By the way, how can you do so long exposure? I thought the max you can do is 30 seconds.

That's a decent enough tripod Jack, it covers all the bases and Manfrotto are a great brand, with well made gear.
I use a remote timer / intervalometer to make long exposures of more than 30 seconds. With the camera in bulb mode, this enables me to set the number of shots I want and how long each shot is exposed for.
With the camera mounted on an equatorial tracker, I can set it to take like 64 x 3 minute exposures, which I do for some astro stuff. Then I press shoot and leave it to do its work, coming back after 3 hours when it's done. :)

C

Chavezshutter

Feb 4, 2022
If you go to your lowest shutter speed you will find Bulb (or B), in this mode the shutter will remain open until you press the shutter again, the best way to use this is with a intervalometer like Andy Smith has said, otherwise you risk vibration in the image from the second shutter press needed to end the exposure.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
That's a decent enough tripod Jack, it covers all the bases and Manfrotto are a great brand, with well made gear.
I use a remote timer / intervalometer to make long exposures of more than 30 seconds. With the camera in bulb mode, this enables me to set the number of shots I want and how long each shot is exposed for.
With the camera mounted on an equatorial tracker, I can set it to take like 64 x 3 minute exposures, which I do for some astro stuff. Then I press shoot and leave it to do its work, coming back after 3 hours when it's done. :)

Thanks Andy Smith Andy Smith , the tripod cost me £200 at the time if I’m not wrong. Unfortunately is not available for sale anymore, probably old model. But yes, I don’t even use it that often, but I still have it with me all the time.

Regarding long exposure topic, I’ll open an other thread as I’m really interested how you can do that.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
If you go to your lowest shutter speed you will find Bulb (or B), in this mode the shutter will remain open until you press the shutter again, the best way to use this is with a intervalometer like Andy Smith has said, otherwise you risk vibration in the image from the second shutter press needed to end the exposure.

Thanks C Chavezshutter . I will open an other thread where we can talk about long exposure. :)

D

djeanfox

Apr 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
What’s the best tripod for landscape photography you’d recommend , which is solid, affordable and not too heavy? This is more like a newbie question:)
zomei z699c carbon fiber tripod
link:

GeoffM Photography

GeoffM Photography

Jun 11, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I love my Neewer N55CL Carbon Fibre tripod. Ample height. Light (doesn't drag on my bag). Good ball & socket head. Seems strong. Detachable monopod (never tried). Well priced.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I love my Neewer N55CL Carbon Fibre tripod. Ample height. Light (doesn't drag on my bag). Good ball & socket head. Seems strong. Detachable monopod (never tried). Well priced.

How much it cost you? I have a manfrotto tripod, which is well made, but I think is slightly heavy 🤔.