Opinion wanted Dragon head rock, Rye, Victoria - Australia

• Thread starter Chavezshutter
  • Start date
  • Watchers 5

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
C

Chavezshutter

Feb 4, 2022
Camera type
Mirrorless camera
Hi,

This was my first ever photo to be printed and sits now near my kitchen. I returned to this spot for both sunrise and sunset. Shoes got wet a bit but it was worth the result I think...DSC05693-Edit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chavezshutter

Feb 4, 2022
Love that C Chavezshutter. Seems that you used long exposure technique here.
Thanks Jack Jack ! With the water flowing over the edge of the rocks into the pool I had to take advantage of the flow and decided to use an ND filter to extend my shutter without blowing out highlights. In the past I have been guilty of overdoing it and turning water into mist or silk with long shutterspeeds but I prefer a little more texture nowdays.

Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Thanks Jack Jack ! With the water flowing over the edge of the rocks into the pool I had to take advantage of the flow and decided to use an ND filter to extend my shutter without blowing out highlights. In the past I have been guilty of overdoing it and turning water into mist or silk with long shutterspeeds but I prefer a little more texture nowdays.

Shooting long exposure pictures can be tricky. I still haven't tried yet because I don't have an ND filter (they aren't cheap at all). But tried long exposure during the night, which I love it.

By the way, check Special Technique forum for sharing such image.

C

Chavezshutter

Feb 4, 2022
Ahh yes, i see the special technique category now, thanks for moving the thread to the right spot.

You should absolutely try shooting with an ND at least once, many opportunities. Dragging your shutter has so many uses that add a very nice artistic touch to your work, I am always on the lookout for moving objects in my frame and how to use shutterspeeds to show those movements, works well in many photo genres. I recommend a 6 stop ND as a starting point. Great for sunrises and sunsets too

Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Ahh yes, i see the special technique category now, thanks for moving the thread to the right spot.
No problem. I believe it's more organised this way.

You should absolutely try shooting with an ND at least once, many opportunities. Dragging your shutter has so many uses that add a very nice artistic touch to your work, I am always on the lookout for moving objects in my frame and how to use shutterspeeds to show those movements, works well in many photo genres. I recommend a 6 stop ND as a starting point. Great for sunrises and sunsets too
I check on amazon some ND filters, good one aren't cheap, but I don't really want to put any ND filter on my expensive lenses.

I've seen long exposure pictures, and if the photographer know what he is doing, he can achieve stunning results. But depending on the location as well.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
C Chavezshutter
Excellent composition!!! With well composed foreground focal point which works great and drives the eye to the rock! Excellent horizon balancing, great colours and personal aesthetic interpretation / representation of the location!

Excellent!

C

Chavezshutter

Feb 4, 2022
C Chavezshutter
Excellent composition!!! With well composed foreground focal point which works great and drives the eye to the rock! Excellent horizon balancing, great colours and personal aesthetic interpretation / representation of the location!

Excellent!
Thanks panos_adgr, I appreciate your kind words and assesment. This photo was where I began to learn to use filters and it complicated the edit but I am very pleased with the results. I plan to do astrophotography with light painting for the rock the next time i visit, may even get some aurora action in the shot if I'm lucky. Great to see you in the forum, looking forward to seeing some of your landscapes šŸ˜€

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
Thanks panos_adgr, I appreciate your kind words and assesment. This photo was where I began to learn to use filters and it complicated the edit but I am very pleased with the results. I plan to do astrophotography with light painting for the rock the next time i visit, may even get some aurora action in the shot if I'm lucky. Great to see you in the forum, looking forward to seeing some of your landscapes šŸ˜€
You are welcome my friend! Nice to be here as well with all of you!
Do you have auroras where you live? You are lucky!
I will be looking forward for your photos with light painting!

What problems did you have or why was it complicated to work with filters?
I suppose you mean ND filters. If you are talking about ND filters then it is a must to buy a good one and after careful study. There also some ND filters that are expensive or from known brands and do not to the job...
It is hard to find a really Neutral one and one that doesn't impact sharpness.
And another important thing is that you have to have in mind the White Balance settings. It is better to manually select the appropriate setting. When you use a dark ND filter WB might become tricky for the camera. As for the exposure you should always take in account the reciprocity failure and compensate accordingly the exposure.

It was quite complicated for me also in the beginning but mostly because I was using cheap ND filter sets. But this made me learn a lot of things.

C

Chavezshutter

Feb 4, 2022
You are welcome my friend! Nice to be here as well with all of you!
Do you have auroras where you live? You are lucky!
I will be looking forward for your photos with light painting!

What problems did you have or why was it complicated to work with filters?
I suppose you mean ND filters. If you are talking about ND filters then it is a must to buy a good one and after careful study. There also some ND filters that are expensive or from known brands and do not to the job...
It is hard to find a really Neutral one and one that doesn't impact sharpness.
And another important thing is that you have to have in mind the White Balance settings. It is better to manually select the appropriate setting. When you use a dark ND filter WB might become tricky for the camera. As for the exposure you should always take in account the reciprocity failure and compensate accordingly the exposure.

It was quite complicated for me also in the beginning but mostly because I was using cheap ND filter sets. But this made me learn a lot of things.
We do get the occasional aurora in the south horizon, my brother and I captured our first aurora about a week ago. From here they are not as impressive as you would get if you travelled closer to it, or were under it but it does add some beautiful colours to an astro shot.

I simply had no experience with filters and had to learn a few things. I had a pretty good idea what the effect of the filters was going to produce, I didn't understand how that would change the post editing. Saturation was probably the main issue, while it looked good SOOC, it got too heavy fast with my usual landscape presets because those presets were made for shots without filters, a little tweak here and there and it was much better. If I remember right I was using an ND, CPL and maybe even graduated ND šŸ˜† - I was testing my new filter kit, had to experiment. I went with NISI square type filters, not cheap but I do like the quality of the glass as well as the holder system.