Location How you decide the location?

• Thread starter Jack
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

This topic is open to discuss the best locations for landscape photography or recommended locations based on member's geographical place.
Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
How do you do decide which location are best to take some nice landscape images?

Do you do research on Google or looking at other landscape photographers?

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Google Earth is a great resource for me, I also sometimes just get in my car and drive around places I have not been before, making mental noes of what I think will be nice locations.
I tend not to follow the crowd and go to places where lots of other people have been and posted images, as I like to find new targets.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Google Earth is a great resource for me, I also sometimes just get in my car and drive around places I have not been before, making mental noes of what I think will be nice locations.
I tend not to follow the crowd and go to places where lots of other people have been and posted images, as I like to find new targets.

Same here, around London isn’t many places to visit unfortunately, unless I’m willing to drive 3+hours. And yes, I do look in google maps as well.

Are you driving a lot to see new places?

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Are you driving a lot to see new places?
Yes but usually only locally. There are many small roads, tracks and villages along the riverside near me that I have never driven around, so sometimes I just jump in the car and go for a few hours drive to see what I can find.
Exploring is always fun :)

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Yes but usually only locally. There are many small roads, tracks and villages along the riverside near me that I have never driven around, so sometimes I just jump in the car and go for a few hours drive to see what I can find.
Exploring is always fun :)

Agree, I do like to explore as well when I’m off (which won’t happen soon :D ), the only issue for me is, there not a lot of places to see and take images around London. To get some nice locations, I have to drive at least 3-4h .

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Agree, I do like to explore as well when I’m off (which won’t happen soon :D ), the only issue for me is, there not a lot of places to see and take images around London. To get some nice locations, I have to drive at least 3-4h .
There are some great urban photo's to be taken in London though Jack, a lot of history there, some nice parks and some views along the Thames are wonderful.
Some of the neighbouring counties like Kent, Surrey, Essex, and Hampshire are beautiful and worth the drive I think.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
There are some great urban photo's to be taken in London though Jack, a lot of history there, some nice parks and some views along the Thames are wonderful.
Some of the neighbouring counties like Kent, Surrey, Essex, and Hampshire are beautiful and worth the drive I think.
Yes there are some nice places in London, such as Richmond park and all royal parks, some history places as you said. Surrey is nice, I’ve already seen pretty much everything from there, my favourite place is Box Hill (I’ll share some images later). Haven’t visited Hampshire a lot, but there is big forest down there, been only once but haven’t explored properly.

The most scenic places are up England I think, such as Scotland, and Yorkshire, I think up there are more locations to take beautiful images.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I don't do any research on where i go to take photos. I just take my camera with me and see what comes along on a walk.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
Hello to all!

I choose locations depending on the season, depending on my time and ability to travel at long or short distances and depending on the weather.
I like travelling a lot. I was raised in a family with a father who every weekend used to take us to road trips. So traveling is kind a vital thing for me.
I plan my travel usually some days before, studying the map, the sun position at sunset and sunrise and also by watching other people's photos in Flickr or google maps.
If I choose to sleep there for a night or two I study the locations I'm interested to go and I try to choose a hotel or apartment as close as possible at the location. I prepare myself efficiently in order to be full of basic things when I travel. When I reach my location I try to be early to study the location. When I go for photo shooting I'm equipped well and I always have water and snacks with me because there have been times which I've spent hours around a location.
I prefer to go alone (which I do go alone most of the times with a few exceptions) in order to be concentrated to my beloved hobby. I prefer to be alone because I also enjoy the nature and its quiet.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I don't do any research on where i go to take photos. I just take my camera with me and see what comes along on a walk.

Means you don't carry heavy camera. Personally I take whole equipment with me, when driving to New places.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Means you don't carry heavy camera. Personally I take whole equipment with me, when driving to New places.
I don't like carrying heavy things with me for a long time. The camera with 1 lens attached is all i carry.

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I prefer to go alone (which I do go alone most of the times with a few exceptions) in order to be concentrated to my beloved hobby. I prefer to be alone because I also enjoy the nature and its quiet.
Yes, I also prefer to be alone when I take pictures.
This hobby is for people who are a bit lonely I think. When I'm with other people, I can also take pictures, but usually I don't take much equipment. No tripods and no extra lenses. I just take my 18 - 300 zoom lens which is almost permanently mounted on my camera. So it's more like preparatory walks for another visit if the place inspires me.
When we are alone, we have the freedom to stop at a place and stay there for a long time to wait for a good light. We have the freedom to change our plans and change the way, to go back, etc.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
Yes, I also prefer to be alone when I take pictures.
This hobby is for people who are a bit lonely I think. When I'm with other people, I can also take pictures, but usually I don't take much equipment. No tripods and no extra lenses. I just take my 18 - 300 zoom lens which is almost permanently mounted on my camera. So it's more like preparatory walks for another visit if the place inspires me.
When we are alone, we have the freedom to stop at a place and stay there for a long time to wait for a good light. We have the freedom to change our plans and change the way, to go back, etc.

Yes indeed. I agree at least for my own part.
I'm a very lonely person especially the last couple of years and more.
But for my own part it hasn't got to do only with the fact of being lonely. Photography is something very esoteric for me. Being alone allows me to concentrate and express myself or my thoughts freely. I cannot photograph having in mind that there is a person with me who waits for me, or distracts my attention. And the last words are written with a positive manner. I love nature, the air, the fields, the colors and the uniqueness of each moment. I try to capture the images with the way I feel in each moment driven by the place, given situation and other inner/personal factors.
I like dreamy scenes and images. When I'm photographing I'm in a way in my own world...

As for the gear it depends on the situation. When I make long trips I carry lot of gear. There have been times that I've carried 3 camera bodies and various lenses which will assure me flexibility in most of the possible circumstances. And when I travel far away I hate the moment when I see something beautiful and I do not have an accessory or certain gear with me.

The only exception is when I travel abroad. I try to go as light and efficient as possible and mostly because it has to do with business travel at the same time.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I don't like carrying heavy things with me for a long time. The camera with 1 lens attached is all i carry.

You very lucky, when I go somewhere I take everything with me, that’s couple of good kgs. Plus the drone.