Photography Keeping raw files

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

General photography discussion.
Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Quick question, do you guys keep Raw files after editing? Or you delete them after you achieved what you were looking for.

If you keep them, do you have external hard driver or you keep them in the cloud?

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
Quick question, do you guys keep Raw files after editing? Or you delete them after you achieved what you were looking for.

If you keep them, do you have external hard driver or you keep them in the cloud?
I always keep all my RAW files.

Well let's start by saying '' I shoot raw''!šŸ˜šŸ˜…

I do keep all my raw files anyway. There have been many times of going back and reviewing old photos, finding some which I never noticed well in the past. Sometimes we mature with the passage of time and we recognise something good in old photos which some years ago we couldn't notice or understand.
So I keep them. I use HDDs to store them and soon I will add more HDDs because I want to create doubles / back ups.
Whatever image I process is saved in TIFF format and archived in the same folder of the origin file. My files are archived by camera body file, in numbered files which also have the location. i.e. 045_Thessaloniki, for easy search. And whatever image is used in internet is in half resolution and jpeg format. After I upload or use them the jpeg file is erased. And the reason is because each jpeg file is just a downscaled copy of my original finished (TIFF) work.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
I keep all my processed photos as TIFF files, backed up on 2 separate HDD's. I keep certain RAW files but not all of them, because I stack a lot of images I usually delete the RAWs once the stack is done and save a stacked version as a DNG file instead. I usually convert my saved RAWs to DNG format if I am going to save them, but I then go through the saved images every 6 months or so and delete the ones I don't like.

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Yes, I keep all my RAW files. As panos_adgr panos_adgr says, there are photos that I didn't appreciate the potential of that surface from time to time and, more importantly, my taste and ability to edit RAW files, changes and improves with time.
I use external drives for archiving.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
What do you mean by TIFF panos_adgr panos_adgr Andy Smith Andy Smith . Unfortunately I don't really keep Raw files. After I edit the photo and happy with it, is exported in jpg format and saved on laptop and uploaded on my website on very low resolution.

If I would have to keep Raw files. This will take huge amount of space. But maybe I should consider saving them šŸ¤”

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Yes, I keep all my RAW files. As panos_adgr panos_adgr says, there are photos that I didn't appreciate the potential of that surface from time to time and, more importantly, my taste and ability to edit RAW files, changes and improves with time.
I use external drives for archiving.

I want to buy a new HDD for images only. But personally, I don't keep Raw files. It's just takes lots of space in my laptop. And never had this in mind to come back to the same photo and edit it again. šŸ¤”

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
I want to buy a new HDD for images only. But personally, I don't keep Raw files. It's just takes lots of space in my laptop. And never had this in mind to come back to the same photo and edit it again. šŸ¤”
TIFF is a lossless compression format. It allows you to save the edited image while keeping the most information.
I use external HD Drives exclusively for my photos. I buy Western Digital Purple because they are ideal for surveillance. This means they are very reliable as they are designed for constant use in surveillance systems that work 247

It is better to keep your images in an external disc and even better if you have them in double HDDs

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
What do you mean by TIFF panos_adgr panos_adgr Andy Smith Andy Smith . Unfortunately I don't really keep Raw files. After I edit the photo and happy with it, is exported in jpg format and saved on laptop and uploaded on my website on very low resolution.

If I would have to keep Raw files. This will take huge amount of space. But maybe I should consider saving them šŸ¤”
TIFF files are a way of storing files in a much more detailed format than JPG, I use TIFF because if I want to print then it is a higher quality image than JPG.
You can also look at saving your RAW files in DNG format which saves space for storage.

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
TIFF files are a way of storing files in a much more detailed format than JPG, I use TIFF because if I want to print then it is a higher quality image than JPG.
This is good to know!
I had no idea that TIFF files were better for printing, thanks a lot for this information Andy.

C

Chavezshutter

Feb 4, 2022
I keep everything šŸ˜‚.. I shoot RAW! (I like the Fro knows reference too panos_adgr panos_adgr, i need the t-shirt šŸ˜†) almost exclusively and I love nothing better than going through all photos to edit them with new editing skills or simply look at with a fresh, more knowledgeable eye. I have a saying - "For photos you cannot re-take them, once the moment is gone you cant travel back in time and place to reshoot them but editing is a never ending process that can be revisited time and time again". Another reason I also keep all my RAWs is that for me they are like a memoir of all my successes and failures and so I keep them to remind myself of what I have tried, improved, left aside, etc. They are like my catalogue of attempts and my journey through photography so for me they are too valuable to delete. I store my files on external HDDs and SSDs

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
I keep everything šŸ˜‚.. I shoot RAW! (I like the Fro knows reference too panos_adgr panos_adgr, i need the t-shirt šŸ˜†) almost exclusively and I love nothing better than going through all photos to edit them with new editing skills or simply look at with a fresh, more knowledgeable eye. I have a saying - "For photos you cannot re-take them, once the moment is gone you cant travel back in time and place to reshoot them but editing is a never ending process that can be revisited time and time again". Another reason I also keep all my RAWs is that for me they are like a memoir of all my successes and failures and so I keep them to remind myself of what I have tried, improved, left aside, etc. They are like my catalogue of attempts and my journey through photography so for me they are too valuable to delete. I store my files on external HDDs and SSDs
Well said friend!
I agree 100% with you!šŸ˜‰

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
You can also look at saving your RAW files in DNG format which saves space for storage.

how can you convert to TIFF?

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
This is good to know!
I had no idea that TIFF files were better for printing, thanks a lot for this information Andy.

I wasnā€™t aware about that as well.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes

Well said C Chavezshutter . I do agree with you, will need to start saving raw files then. The problem is, they take a lot of space .

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
In my editing program, when I want to export my image, I can choose between the file type (jpeg, TIFF, etc.).
You should also have this choice.

Thanks, Iā€™ll have to check Morexp57 Morexp57