Photography Lens Compression and is it good or bad?

• Thread starter lightmuncher
  • Start date
  • Watchers 3

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

General photography discussion.
lightmuncher

lightmuncher

Dec 18, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
When I have talked to photographers, some have no idea what is meant by 'lens compression', which is actually a lens distortion. I am not the best person to write an explanation of how these things work on a scientific level. I know when I have a telephoto, lens compression happens, and it's how you use that to its best advantage.
And I guess we all know how it works, just didn't know it had a name. As a visual person, I thought it would be good to put a good video up and someone who explains it in a language we all can understand. I listened to a few photographers and all they did was muddy the waters. It comes down to knowing what your equipment is capable of, with it's bad and good points.

Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
That's very interesting, I will have to watch it.

lightmuncher

lightmuncher

Dec 18, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
That's very interesting, I will have to watch it.
There are many videos out there, this seemed to be the better explained video I could find. Funny enough its more talked about now, that it was ever talked about 50 years ago! I can't recall it ever being mentioned at college? Mind you my wife knows only too well what my memory is like 🧠🤯🤪

Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
There are many videos out there, this seemed to be the better explained video I could find. Funny enough its more talked about now, that it was ever talked about 50 years ago! I can't recall it ever being mentioned at college? Mind you my wife knows only too well what my memory is like 🧠🤯🤪

The guy in the video basically saying things which we already know. If you'd go to take images of a house, I'm assuming you'd take an wide angle lens, not telephoto lens. :D

lightmuncher

lightmuncher

Dec 18, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
The guy in the video basically saying things which we already know. If you'd go to take images of a house, I'm assuming you'd take an wide angle lens, not telephoto lens. :D
I know we know it, but this just makes you have a name to the process. The compression has effects when using a telephoto, which makes those photos create a larger moon or sunset behind the relevant objects you have in your image. Knowledge as always gives yo that extra edge.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
I know we know it, but this just makes you have a name to the process. The compression has effects when using a telephoto, which makes those photos create a larger moon or sunset behind the relevant objects you have in your image. Knowledge as always gives yo that extra edge.
I often use compression to try to create larger moons in certain landscape shots, it can have a profound effect when done right. A telephoto lens can create a thicker, wider Milky Way image also which can fill the sky if needed.
A lot to practice to get it nailed down right every time, but worth the effort.

lightmuncher

lightmuncher

Dec 18, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I often use compression to try to create larger moons in certain landscape shots, it can have a profound effect when done right. A telephoto lens can create a thicker, wider Milky Way image also which can fill the sky if needed.
A lot to practice to get it nailed down right every time, but worth the effort.
Agree

Phil Nicholson

Phil Nicholson

Nov 6, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
When I have talked to photographers, some have no idea what is meant by 'lens compression', which is actually a lens distortion. I am not the best person to write an explanation of how these things work on a scientific level. I know when I have a telephoto, lens compression happens, and it's how you use that to its best advantage.
And I guess we all know how it works, just didn't know it had a name. As a visual person, I thought it would be good to put a good video up and someone who explains it in a language we all can understand. I listened to a few photographers and all they did was muddy the waters. It comes down to knowing what your equipment is capable of, with it's bad and good points.

Excellent video, I'm one of those people that did not know about "Lens compression," but then I don't class myself as a "Photographer." As you say this guy explains in simple terms so it's easy to understand, I will certainly give this try when I go out again. I'm learning a lot from this site. Thanks for posting the video.