Opinion wanted Lindisfarne Castle under the watchful eye of Orion

• Thread starter Melissajane
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
Melissajane

Melissajane

Nov 10, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Camera type
Mirrorless camera
Camera sensor
Full-frame
EXIF
Samyang 20mm lens
The exif isn't accurate as it's two images merged together. Both shot on the same day, just different stages of light time blended.
A concept I wanted to capture for a long time!
Lindisfarne Castle, Northumberland under the watchful eye of Orion.

I'm a keen historian, so with this image I wanted to create the feeling of this castle being under the stars during the Medieval era.

The way I shot this was I took the castle section first by waiting until the twilight began. This meant I got a sharper subject by using less ISO and the subject was brighter and much more interesting with natural light still creating shadows.
Then I waited for astronomical twilight to capture Orion when it was completely dark.
Lindisfarne is a fairly dark location for the night sky, but there is still a bit of light pollution.

In post processing, I merged the two shots together to my preferences and then created an ethereal look with the use of basic retouching and dodging & burning on the castle.

I can't remember the settings for each. But I was using my Sony A7R and a Samyang 20mm lens.
Lindisfarne Castle v2.jpg

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Wonderful image Melissajane, and such a cracking subject. very nicely done.

Melissajane

Melissajane

Nov 10, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Wonderful image Melissajane, and such a cracking subject. very nicely done.
Thank you very much! Sadly I won't be back to that castle for a while, but am surrounded by other castles in Aberdeenshire so I might have to create something similar with those šŸ˜

M

mamba8606

Oct 19, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
A concept I wanted to capture for a long time!
Lindisfarne Castle, Northumberland under the watchful eye of Orion.

I'm a keen historian, so with this image I wanted to create the feeling of this castle being under the stars during the Medieval era.

The way I shot this was I took the castle section first by waiting until the twilight began. This meant I got a sharper subject by using less ISO and the subject was brighter and much more interesting with natural light still creating shadows.
Then I waited for astronomical twilight to capture Orion when it was completely dark.
Lindisfarne is a fairly dark location for the night sky, but there is still a bit of light pollution.

In post processing, I merged the two shots together to my preferences and then created an ethereal look with the use of basic retouching and dodging & burning on the castle.

I can't remember the settings for each. But I was using my Sony A7R and a Samyang 20mm lens.
View attachment 1134
Awesome Picture... it' so clean and Orion is perfectly located / alignet on top. Superb Work šŸ˜€

Snook911

Snook911

Nov 1, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Wow, What great shot! Really creative!