Gear advice Mirrorless or DSLR camera

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

A discussion about gear such camera, lenses, tripods, and other equipments.
Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
What's your opinion on these 2 type of cameras.

Are worth upgrading from 7D M2 to a mirrorless full frame camera?

Taking in consideration that I will use my L lenses on the mirrorless system.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
The 7D Mk II is still a great camera Jack and will take photos just as good as a mirrorless, the only reason to upgrade would be to go full frame and then I would choose a mirrorless body for sure.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
The 7D Mk II is still a great camera Jack and will take photos just as good as a mirrorless, the only reason to upgrade would be to go full frame and then I would choose a mirrorless body for sure.

That's what is the plan for the future. Definitely would go full frame. I'm just thinking how L lenses will perform on mirrorless camera.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
That's what is the plan for the future. Definitely would go full frame. I'm just thinking how L lenses will perform on mirrorless camera.
the EF L lenses work flawlessly, focus is fast and true, colours are same as DSLR. Overall you would not notice any difference at all using them on mirrorless.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
the EF L lenses work flawlessly, focus is fast and true, colours are same as DSLR. Overall you would not notice any difference at all using them on mirrorless.
Thanks Andy Smith Andy Smith. I was afraid that if I'm investing in L glasses, in future I will have to sell for peanuts and get RF lenses, which is not an ideal for me.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Thanks Andy Smith Andy Smith. I was afraid that if I'm investing in L glasses, in future I will have to sell for peanuts and get RF lenses, which is not an ideal for me.
Not ideal for any of us Jack to be fair, I have a lot of money invested in EF L lenses and am happy I can still use them on my mirrorless and also have the bonus that I can switch to my older DLSR if needed without lens issues.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Not ideal for any of us Jack to be fair, I have a lot of money invested in EF L lenses and am happy I can still use them on my mirrorless and also have the bonus that I can switch to my older DLSR if needed without lens issues.

That's good point that you can use it back on DSLR when wanted. How about if the lens is discontinued, do you worry about that ? Example I own 70-200mm L version II, which has been discontinued because of mark 3.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
That's good point that you can use it back on DSLR when wanted. How about if the lens is discontinued, do you worry about that ? Example I own 70-200mm L version II, which has been discontinued because of mark 3.
I never worry about discontinued lenses Jack, why should I really? if they work on the camera that I have it is never going to be an issue for me.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I never worry about discontinued lenses Jack, why should I really? if they work on the camera that I have it is never going to be an issue for me.
How about they break up, your local shop might not be able to fix it due of missing parts.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
How about they break up, your local shop might not be able to fix it due of missing parts.
Fair point Jack, but as I don't have any good camera shops even remotely close to me it is not something I worry about, I have never had any issues with lenses in the past 35 years, so this is not something that really concerns me. If you buy quality, then this shouldn't be a problem unless you maybe drop the lens on a hard rock edge or something.
I would just send it off to Canon Thailand and see if they could do anything with it.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Fair point Jack, but as I don't have any good camera shops even remotely close to me it is not something I worry about, I have never had any issues with lenses in the past 35 years, so this is not something that really concerns me. If you buy quality, then this shouldn't be a problem unless you maybe drop the lens on a hard rock edge or something.
I would just send it off to Canon Thailand and see if they could do anything with it.

That would be interesting to know if they can fix or repair a discontinued camera or lens. But I do agree with you.

If buying top quality, then you expect to last. That's one of the reason I don't go third party or second hand equipment.