Photography ND filter settings

• Thread starter Jack
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

General photography discussion.
Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Hi.

I’ve received my Nd filter recently, and would love to try it. Sadly, slightly confused what settings should I set on my cameras to achieve smooth pictures.

Obviously, ISO will be set to 100, and aperture probably f11, but how about shutter speed?

A bit of noob question :D

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Hi Jack,
Best way I found how to start was to take a shot without the filter and take note of the settings you used.
Then install the filter, keep ISO and aperture the same (I am usually around f/8.0) but then you need to change your shutter speed to 10 stops slower (I think you said you has a 10 stop filter)
So if your original shutter speed was 1/100 then the new one with filter would be 10 seconds.
or you can Multiply your original shutter speed by 1,000 which would be 1/100 x 1,000 = 10 seconds
I also use PhotoPills App that does the calculation for me, and there are a few other Apps out there that will help the calculation.

The end calculation is only approximate though, that should get you good results, then you can dial in the exact shutter speed based on what your preference is. You can also change the aperture to get longer times if you find the shutter speed is too short.

Don't forget to switch to manual focus before you put the filter on or else the auto focus system will go bonkers.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Hi Jack,
Best way I found how to start was to take a shot without the filter and take note of the settings you used.
Then install the filter, keep ISO and aperture the same (I am usually around f/8.0) but then you need to change your shutter speed to 10 stops slower (I think you said you has a 10 stop filter)
So if your original shutter speed was 1/100 then the new one with filter would be 10 seconds.
or you can Multiply your original shutter speed by 1,000 which would be 1/100 x 1,000 = 10 seconds
I also use PhotoPills App that does the calculation for me, and there are a few other Apps out there that will help the calculation.

The end calculation is only approximate though, that should get you good results, then you can dial in the exact shutter speed based on what your preference is. You can also change the aperture to get longer times if you find the shutter speed is too short.

Don't forget to switch to manual focus before you put the filter on or else the auto focus system will go bonkers.

Thanks Andy Smith Andy Smith, I'll have to try when outside is not raining.

Yes, the filter is 10 stops, so that means that I can set the camera to 10 seconds? How about aperture, what's the recommended aperture to set so everything is sharper in the photo?

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Hi Jack,

That's something I don't understand about these filters...
Why do you have to calculate the exposure time "by hand"?
Why can't we rely on the measurement given by the camera?

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Thanks Andy Smith Andy Smith, I'll have to try when outside is not raining.

Yes, the filter is 10 stops, so that means that I can set the camera to 10 seconds? How about aperture, what's the recommended aperture to set so everything is sharper in the photo?
Hi Jack,
you need to take the settings without the filter to get good exposure reading, then add the filter and adjust accordingly.
10 seconds was an example only, it may be you only get 2 or 3 second with the filter, depending on your starting settings.
The aperture can be set at whatever you would normally use to get the image exposure you want.

Here are a few examples I just pulled from PhotoPills:
Example 1.
without filter: f/20, ISO 100, 1/20s - with filter f/20, ISO 100, 51 seconds
Example 2:
without filter: f/11, ISO 100, 1/60s - with filter f/11, ISO 100, 17 seconds
Example 3:
without filter: f/8, ISO 100, 1/125s - with filter f/8, ISO 100, 8 seconds
Example 4:
without filter: f/5.6, ISO 100, 1/250s - with filter f/5.6, ISO 100, 4 seconds
Example 5:
without filter: f/2.8, ISO 100, 1/60s - with filter f/2.8, ISO 100, 17 seconds

So the shutter speed with filter will depend on what settings you would normally use for a decent exposure without it multiplied by 10 stops.

You can adjust the aperture also with the filter attached, for lets say when you know you want a 5 second exposure for the effect you are looking for
Example 1:
without filter: f/11, ISO 100, 1/125s - with filter f/9, ISO 100, 5 seconds
Example 2:
without filter: f/8, ISO 100, 1/1000s - with filter f/18, ISO 100, 5 seconds

So you can play around with shutter speed and aperture to get the 10 stop difference in light you need for good exposure, and to get the look you are after. Take a few test shots and adjust according to your taste.

There is a decent free App called LE Exposure (Long Exposure Calculator) that is very easy to use also.

I hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:
Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
That's something I don't understand about these filters...
Why do you have to calculate the exposure time "by hand"?
Why can't we rely on the measurement given by the camera?
Hi Moreexp57,
The problem is once you add a 10 stop filter, the cameras TTL exposure reading system cannot function properly due to the lack of light coming through the lens, so will either give crazy readings or will simply not work.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Hi Moreexp57,
The problem is once you add a 10 stop filter, the cameras TTL exposure reading system cannot function properly due to the lack of light coming through the lens, so will either give crazy readings or will simply not work.

I was thinking that if it's on Manual mode, this should be fine.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Hi Jack,
you need to take the settings without the filter to get good exposure reading, then add the filter and adjust accordingly.
10 seconds was an example only, it may be you only get 2 or 3 second with the filter, depending on your starting settings.
The aperture can be set at whatever you would normally use to get the image exposure you want.

Here are a few examples I just pulled from PhotoPills:
Example 1.
without filter: f/20, ISO 100, 1/20s - with filter f/20, ISO 100, 51 seconds
Example 2:
without filter: f/11, ISO 100, 1/60s - with filter f/11, ISO 100, 17 seconds
Example 3:
without filter: f/8, ISO 100, 1/125s - with filter f/8, ISO 100, 8 seconds
Example 4:
without filter: f/5.6, ISO 100, 1/250s - with filter f/5.6, ISO 100, 4 seconds
Example 5:
without filter: f/2.8, ISO 100, 1/60s - with filter f/2.8, ISO 100, 17 seconds

So the shutter speed with filter will depend on what settings you would normally use for a decent exposure without it multiplied by 10 stops.

You can adjust the aperture also with the filter attached, for lets say when you know you want a 5 second exposure for the effect you are looking for
Example 1:
without filter: f/11, ISO 100, 1/125s - with filter f/9, ISO 100, 5 seconds
Example 2:
without filter: f/8, ISO 100, 1/1000s - with filter f/18, ISO 100, 5 seconds

So you can play around with shutter speed and aperture to get the 10 stop difference in light you need for good exposure, and to get the look you are after. Take a few test shots and adjust according to your taste.

There is a decent free App called LE Exposure (Long Exposure Calculator) that is very easy to use also.

I hope this helps a bit.

Seems that this isn't easy job to do. Requires lots of testings.

So first, I'll have to set the settings without filter, and after to put the filter and adjust the settings? Is that right?

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Seems that this isn't easy job to do. Requires lots of testings.

So first, I'll have to set the settings without filter, and after to put the filter and adjust the settings? Is that right?
I do it this way yes, because I use my camera's histogram to get a good exposure setting by using the cameras built in metering system.
Once I have my settings dialed in, I take a test shot to make sure I like it.
Then I change to manual mode, dial in the new settings for use with the 10 stop filter, add the filter and take the shot.
If I want a different effect on my shot, I then add or subtract shutter time to get the image I want.

It is not difficult once you have done it a couple of times.

A decent walk through tutorial can be found here if it helps explain better than I can. :)

Last edited:
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I do it this way yes, because I use my camera's histogram to get a good exposure setting by using the cameras built in metering system.
Once I have my settings dialed in, I take a test shot to make sure I like it.
Then I change to manual mode, dial in the new settings for use with the 10 stop filter, add the filter and take the shot.
If I want a different effect on my shot, I then add or subtract shutter time to get the image I want.

It is not difficult once you have done it a couple of times.

A decent walk through tutorial can be found here if it helps explain better than I can. :)

Thanks Andy Smith Andy Smith , I’ll need to give it a try, to see how this will work.