Buying advice New Laptop for video editing

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

Our member, is asking for advice on purchasing photo equipment, please do give best advice.
Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Hello guys. I have been very busy lately with work, videos and other small projects I'm still building.

I'm thinking very serious buying a new laptop, but for video editing, 4k or 5k format. I was looking at MacBook Pro 16 inch 32FB RAM, but I would like to ask some others what do you think or what you'd recommend?

I also started my own YouTube channel, and working in Premier Pro with my current laptop is nightmare, especially when doing 4k videos from my drones or my m50

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
I have a Macbook Pro Jack with 32MB RAM, love it and it handles my work effortlessly even though it is the old Intel mac not the new M1 or M2 chippped one.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I have a Macbook Pro Jack with 32MB RAM, love it and it handles my work effortlessly even though it is the old Intel mac not the new M1 or M2 chippped one.

Thanks Andy Smith Andy Smith .

Honestly I was looking at MacBook Pro 16inch 32GB Ram 2023. Still thinking about it as it's nearly £4000 here in UK. So I will have to get a mortgage for that :D.

I've looked on YouTube but I don't trust people on there, as most of them are getting promoted by Apple. I wanted to see a honest genuine opinion.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
My personal opinion Jack is that you can't go wrong with a Macbook Pro. They are a little on the high side but will last a long time, build quality is excellent and they just work right. You should have no issues at all with a 2023 model.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
My personal opinion Jack is that you can't go wrong with a Macbook Pro. They are a little on the high side but will last a long time, build quality is excellent and they just work right. You should have no issues at all with a 2023 model.

Thanks Andy Smith Andy Smith. I really appreciate your reply. I will have a look at the again. As they aren't available at the moment from where I'm buying. As usually I get my tech in credit with interest free.

Is your mac 32GB too?

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Thanks Andy Smith Andy Smith .

Honestly I was looking at MacBook Pro 16inch 32GB Ram 2023. Still thinking about it as it's nearly £4000 here in UK. So I will have to get a mortgage for that :D.

I've looked on YouTube but I don't trust people on there, as most of them are getting promoted by Apple. I wanted to see a honest genuine opinion.
Yes, Macs are expensive. But they last longer than PCs in my opinion, so there's less need to replace them. And they don't slow down over time like a PC either.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Yes, Macs are expensive. But they last longer than PCs in my opinion, so there's less need to replace them. And they don't slow down over time like a PC either.
I have never had a Mac, so now I'm doing a lot of research, as the one I'm looking is really expensive.

Mostly I want to edit 4k 5k videos and videos for my YouTube channel as well.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
I have never had a Mac, so now I'm doing a lot of research, as the one I'm looking is really expensive.

Mostly I want to edit 4k 5k videos and videos for my YouTube channel as well.
A 15 inch Macbook Air Jack with 24GB unified memory is a good deal and unified memory is much faster than RAM nowdays, so 24GB should be fine for you really. The cost is around $2000 so you could always buy a seperate 27 inch monitor to plug the laptop into for around $500 and have a very sweet set up that covers all the bases.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
A 15 inch Macbook Air Jack with 24GB unified memory is a good deal and unified memory is much faster than RAM nowdays, so 24GB should be fine for you really. The cost is around $2000 so you could always buy a seperate 27 inch monitor to plug the laptop into for around $500 and have a very sweet set up that covers all the bases.

Which one you'd say is better to buy the Macbook Pro 16inch 32GB or same one but 16GB ram?

I never had a Macbook laptop before, so I'm really familiar with how these specs work on macs.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Also Andy Smith Andy Smith is there big difference between macbook air and macbook pro?

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Which one you'd say is better to buy the Macbook Pro 16inch 32GB or same one but 16GB ram?

I never had a Macbook laptop before, so I'm really familiar with how these specs work on macs.
I personally wouldn't drop below 24GB RAM Jack, just for future proofing reasons. 32 GB would be great but it comes at a hefty price and only available on MacBook Pro models.
The Macbook Pro has a brighter screen and is mini LED rather than the Air which is an LCD retina display so the Pro will have better colour accuracy.
Both have about the same battery life, but the Macbook Pro has a few more ports like HDMI & SDXC card slot (which may be beneficial to you for downloading the video),
speakers & mic are better on the Pro model but not really noticeable to be honest for most users.
However, the Macbook Air is really good enough for most users and with the large price difference it may make more sense for you to go with the Macbook Air.

Note: (From MacRumors.com)
You should also be aware that the 256GB ‌MacBook Air‌ and 512GB MacBook Pro base models have up to 50 percent slower SSDs than configurations with more storage. This is because the base models only have a single SSD module inside, whereas models with larger amounts of storage have two SSD chips, significantly increasing the overall speed of the machine's storage.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I personally wouldn't drop below 24GB RAM Jack, just for future proofing reasons. 32 GB would be great but it comes at a hefty price and only available on MacBook Pro models.
The Macbook Pro has a brighter screen and is mini LED rather than the Air which is an LCD retina display so the Pro will have better colour accuracy.
Both have about the same battery life, but the Macbook Pro has a few more ports like HDMI & SDXC card slot (which may be beneficial to you for downloading the video),
speakers & mic are better on the Pro model but not really noticeable to be honest for most users.
However, the Macbook Air is really good enough for most users and with the large price difference it may make more sense for you to go with the Macbook Air.

Note: (From MacRumors.com)
You should also be aware that the 256GB ‌MacBook Air‌ and 512GB MacBook Pro base models have up to 50 percent slower SSDs than configurations with more storage. This is because the base models only have a single SSD module inside, whereas models with larger amounts of storage have two SSD chips, significantly increasing the overall speed of the machine's storage.

Thanks for your honest review. How the battery lifespan, is still last you long?

That's the one I'm really looking at at the moment.

It's really expensive, but if this will last 10years ahead, then I will definitely pull the trigger.

What do you think about it?

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Battery life is good on most Apple laptops Jack. Apple state around 18 hours but it all depends on how hard you push it.
I cannot access the link you put, but the 16 inch Macbook Pro with 32GB RAM and the m2 chip with 1TB storage is a monster of a machine and will last you a fair few years.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Battery life is good on most Apple laptops Jack. Apple state around 18 hours but it all depends on how hard you push it.
I cannot access the link you put, but the 16 inch Macbook Pro with 32GB RAM and the m2 chip with 1TB storage is a monster of a machine and will last you a fair few years.

weird that you can’t access the link. Anyway, that’s the one I’m looking at for video editing. Well, if battery will last me as what they are saying 20h, that’s good.

would this laptop last 10 years ahead ? What do you think?

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
weird that you can’t access the link. Anyway, that’s the one I’m looking at for video editing. Well, if battery will last me as what they are saying 20h, that’s good.

would this laptop last 10 years ahead ? What do you think?
to be honest Jack a top of the line laptop should last about 8-10 years in theory.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
to be honest Jack a top of the line laptop should last about 8-10 years in theory.

Thanks for you advice about this Andy Smith Andy Smith . I think I will buy this laptop in next couple of weeks.