Photography New lens

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

General photography discussion.
TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Today i received my new lens for the Nikon d7100. It is a used Tokina 12-24mm 4.0 AT-X PRO SD IF DX II in a as good as new condition. I want to do some more landscape and architecture photography next year. I was looking at getting a wide angle lens for the Sony a7rii but they are a lot more expensive 2-3 times as much as i paid for the Tokina lens.

Don't have much experience with landscape and architecture but will see how it goes. As they say, how hard can it be :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Hi TMG1961 TMG1961 . All branded lenses are really expensive. Especially landscape photography lenses. Look for second hand one, I'm sure they are more affordable.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Hi TMG1961 TMG1961 . All branded lenses are really expensive. Especially landscape photography lenses. Look for second hand one, I'm sure they are more affordable.
I will start with this tokina lens and the Nikon d7100. I can also use the Sony a7rii and the samyang 35mm f/1.8 lens. I like to get the Sony 20mm f/1.8G lens but that is around €1100 new and around €900-950 used. that is a bit out of my budget.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
I hear good things about the Tokina 12-24mm lens. It has superb optics and F/4.0 is fast enough for landscape and architecture. I have read where people state this lens is actually better than Nikon's similar lens.
You should even be able to do some milky way shots with the lens, although the f/1.8 Sony lens would be preferable but not really needed Theo.
I look forward to seeing some nice architectural shots next year.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I hear good things about the Tokina 12-24mm lens. It has superb optics and F/4.0 is fast enough for landscape and architecture. I have read where people state this lens is actually better than Nikon's similar lens.
You should even be able to do some milky way shots with the lens, although the f/1.8 Sony lens would be preferable but not really needed Theo.
I look forward to seeing some nice architectural shots next year.
I am going to do some tests over the weekend to see if the lens is sharp. for landscape and architecture a f/4 lens is more then enough, most of the times you shoot at smaller apertures. Will have to check what the best way of testing a lens is and from what distance it is done.

I don't need the Sony 20mm f/1,8G lens, but from what i have heard it is one of the best wide angle prime lens for Sony full frame cameras. But also expensive, although the GM lenses are even more expensive. Love to do some astro photography but here it is almost impossible, too much light pollution.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
I am going to do some tests over the weekend to see if the lens is sharp. for landscape and architecture a f/4 lens is more then enough, most of the times you shoot at smaller apertures. Will have to check what the best way of testing a lens is and from what distance it is done.
I believe the lens is good and sharp at 12mm, f/4 but great at f/5.6 and optimal at f/8 & f/11, and it gets better at 20mm f/4 and optimal at f/5.6, and sharp wide open at 24mm f/4.
Interesting to see or hear your test results.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I believe the lens is good and sharp at 12mm, f/4 but great at f/5.6 and optimal at f/8 & f/11, and it gets better at 20mm f/4 and optimal at f/5.6, and sharp wide open at 24mm f/4.
Interesting to see or hear your test results.
I will have to find a good way to test the lens. I did some quick test shots but the lens did not impress me that much. So some further and better tests need to be done. I maybe go into town tomorrow and see if i can get some photos of the buildings there. But it is a small town and not much to see as far as architecture goes. Landscape is completely boring and only consists of the colour brown in several shades.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I have done some simple tests with camera on tripod. And the lens is sharp at every focal length and every aperture, even at f/4.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
I have done some simple tests with camera on tripod. And the lens is sharp at every focal length and every aperture, even at f/4.
Great, it is a decent lens for sure and I am sure you will get some good use from it.

Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I will start with this tokina lens and the Nikon d7100. I can also use the Sony a7rii and the samyang 35mm f/1.8 lens. I like to get the Sony 20mm f/1.8G lens but that is around €1100 new and around €900-950 used. that is a bit out of my budget.

Have you checked Ebay prices?

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Have you checked Ebay prices?
I don't buy from ebay. When i buy a lens from one of the photoshops in The Netherlands i will get a 12 month warranty on most used lenses. Not sure of you get that on ebay.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Shooting with wide angle lens is something else than macro or shooting with a normal lens. Did some simple test shots of street i live in and have to say that it needs some practice and getting used to shooting with wide angle lens.

Last edited:
Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Shooting with wide angle lens is something else than macro or shooting with a normal lens. Did some simple test shots of street i live in and have to say that it needs some practice and getting used to shooting with wide angle lens.
Yes they can take some getting used to Theo, pay attention to the edges and corners of your frame to make sure the lines are good and you are getting close enough.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
First i am going to get a new tripod, the old one has a max load capacity of 1.5kg and the d7100+tokina lens weighs almost 1.4 kgs. I am thinking about getting this one: Manfrotto 290 xtra + 3 way head. Price is €159

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
Enjoy your new lens and I wish you many many nice photos for the new year but with health above all.

The Tokina was the best and safest budget choice for the D7200 and you will have some great results.

As for the Sony consider the Tamron 17-28mm in the future and of course the samyang wide angles which are also produced with AF now. They are great and affordable.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
First i am going to get a new tripod, the old one has a max load capacity of 1.5kg and the d7100+tokina lens weighs almost 1.4 kgs. I am thinking about getting this one: Manfrotto 290 xtra + 3 way head. Price is €159
The Manfrotto range of tripods are good Theo, also check out MeFoto tripods from Benro. They have some good carbon fibre travel tripods that are light, strong and very sturdy.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I bought a new Manfrotto MK290XTA3-3W which come with the MH804-3W Head. It was reduced to €159.
According to Manfrotto the Safety Payload UNI/PdR 105:2021 is 10 kg for the tripod and the head. That should be more then enough for all my equipment.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Enjoy your new lens and I wish you many many nice photos for the new year but with health above all.

The Tokina was the best and safest budget choice for the D7200 and you will have some great results.

As for the Sony consider the Tamron 17-28mm in the future and of course the samyang wide angles which are also produced with AF now. They are great and affordable.
I will enjoy it, only need to practice and getting used to the different type of shooting. For the Sony i have the Sony 24-70 f/4 and the Samyang 35mm f/1.8 AF. the Sony is a bit soft at 24 mm so i would like to add a wide angle lens to it. Not sure if i will go for a zoom or a prime.

For the zoom lenses it is either the Sony 16-35 f/4, the Tamron 17-28 but also i keep the Sony 12-24 in mind.
As far as primes go, there are a few options like the Sony 20mm f/1.8, or the Tamron 20mm f/2.8 or one of the Samyang wide angle primes, and Sigma is also in the running.

But for now i first see how thing go with the Tokina lens and from that i can decide what i get for the Sony. I did think first about getting a longer zoom lens but i have put that on hold for the time being.

lightmuncher

lightmuncher

Dec 18, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Today i received my new lens for the Nikon d7100. It is a used Tokina 12-24mm 4.0 AT-X PRO SD IF DX II in a as good as new condition. I want to do some more landscape and architecture photography next year. I was looking at getting a wide angle lens for the Sony a7rii but they are a lot more expensive 2-3 times as much as i paid for the Tokina lens.

Don't have much experience with landscape and architecture but will see how it goes. As they say, how hard can it be :ROFLMAO:
I bought a 11-16mm Tokina, and absolutely love that lens