Gear advice peak design strap

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

A discussion about gear such camera, lenses, tripods, and other equipments.
TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Today i got the peak design slide lite. Not very happy about it. The anchors make a horrible noise when attached and i am using the camera without the strap. Also it is almost impossible to get the strap of the anchors, i need to use 2 hands to get them off. And when carrying the camera without the strap the anchors are always in the way and holding the camera is not pleasant. So all in all not happy about the purchase, so thinking if i am going to keep it or send it back.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Today i got the peak design slide lite. Not very happy about it. The anchors make a horrible noise when attached and i am using the camera without the strap. Also it is almost impossible to get the strap of the anchors, i need to use 2 hands to get them off. And when carrying the camera without the strap the anchors are always in the way and holding the camera is not pleasant. So all in all not happy about the purchase, so thinking if i am going to keep it or send it back.
Interesting feedback TMG1961, I have never really been a fan of Peak Design straps and I opted for Custom SLR instead as I find the design fits my use better. Although they don't make the original one I bought anymore and I don't like the 'slide' idea anyway, I just want a strong, comfortable, basic strap with quick release capabilities.
There are so many out there it is difficult to choose the one that fits your needs sometimes, but my thoughts on straps is 'the simpler the better'

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Interesting feedback TMG1961, I have never really been a fan of Peak Design straps and I opted for Custom SLR instead as I find the design fits my use better. Although they don't make the original one I bought anymore and I don't like the 'slide' idea anyway, I just want a strong, comfortable, basic strap with quick release capabilities.
There are so many out there it is difficult to choose the one that fits your needs sometimes, but my thoughts on straps is 'the simpler the better'
It is supposed to be a quick release strap but not working for me, i have the feeling that the part were the anchors are inserted is not long enough. When you want to release them they are hitting the strap itself and then i need to put the camera on something and use both hands to get it out.

Having rheumatoid arthritis does not make it easier to get them out. I will give the shop a call to see if i can send them back without having to print the return form and then send them back tomorrow or tuesday. Will have a look if they have some other strap that would work better for me. I do have 3 sony straps but then you are a walking billboard with that attached to the camera. But i need something that can be used on both cameras with ease.

Last edited:
Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Having rheumatoid arthritis does not make it easier to get them out.
Unfortunately a lot of manufacturers these days don't even consider things that users may encounter like arthritis or similar things. I hope you manage to return the strap without hassle (although it is a hassle as you have to contact them, and then return it)
good luck on your hunt for a workable solution for both cameras, I am sure there is a good solution out there, just need to find it.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I could not contact them today, and this made me realise that sending it back will need a phone call, taking the anchors of both cameras, putting the strap and anchors back in the box, put that box in the box it came in, drive to the post office and paying depending on the way it is send €6,75 or €8,70. So some work and out of some money.

I have 2 weeks in which i can send it back, not going to take that long but i am going to give it a day or 2-3 and then decide if i keep the strap or send it back.

My hands still are functional, very stiff and painful but at least i still can use them for most things. But sometimes things are not as easy as they used to be. After having it for 60 years i am used to the pain, it is just the functionality that is getting less that drives me nuts.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Did send the strap back to the shop. It just did not work for me, very difficult to get the anchors out of the clips. It should be delivered tomorrow between 1 and 3.30 pm, guess i get my money back sometime next week. Glad it was not an very expensive one, just €49.99.

Wednesday or Thursday i should receive the used samyang 24mm f/2.8 that i bought for €159. Decided to start with a cheaper lens to see if 24mm prime lens works for me.

Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Hi TMG1961 TMG1961, good topic for discussion, but unfortunately I can't really add a lot as I don't use or buy any straps.

The only straps I'm using, are the one which came together with the camera when I purchased them.

Apart from that, I don't really look into straps, for me is more like waste of money. I meant depending how often are you using your camera as well.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Hi TMG1961 TMG1961, good topic for discussion, but unfortunately I can't really add a lot as I don't use or buy any straps.

The only straps I'm using, are the one which came together with the camera when I purchased them.

Apart from that, I don't really look into straps, for me is more like waste of money. I meant depending how often are you using your camera as well.
I use my camera every day. The first few hundred metres i have it over my shoulder and the camera is on my back, but once i take Pixie of the leash i take the camera of my back and walk around with it in my hand. With the strap that came with the camera it sometimes is catching on bushes or is in the way so i thought that something like the peak design would by great cause you take the strap of, which is supposed to be easy but wasn't.

I don't like using a wrist strap, for me it doesn't work and does not feel good with painful hands and wrists.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I use my camera every day. The first few hundred metres i have it over my shoulder and the camera is on my back, but once i take Pixie of the leash i take the camera of my back and walk around with it in my hand. With the strap that came with the camera it sometimes is catching on bushes or is in the way so i thought that something like the peak design would by great cause you take the strap of, which is supposed to be easy but wasn't.

I don't like using a wrist strap, for me it doesn't work and does not feel good with painful hands and wrists.

Personally I don't like to keep or put the camera on my shoulders, the reason is because I do attach expensive lenses on it, I'm worried not to hit the camera or someone to grab it from me.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Personally I don't like to keep or put the camera on my shoulders, the reason is because I do attach expensive lenses on it, I'm worried not to hit the camera or someone to grab it from me.
I always have my dog with me when i go out with the camera. if someone tries to steal the camera from me they are either stupid or have a dead wish. I am not worried about hitting anything, the camera hangs on my back and i would need to walk backwards into something to hit it. Also my gear is more on the budget side, the most expensive one is the Sony a7rii and that was just €1099 when i bought it used last September.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
For me a good strap is important, I live in a hot/humid country and the original camera straps don't breathe so they become uncomfortable very quickly. I like a good wide neoprene strap that will sit on my shoulder all day if needed and not get wet with sweat. I also like to wrap it around my forearm sometimes if I am actually carrying the camera in my hand for quick access and ease of use, and the original straps are not comfortable when I do this.
I also like quick release systems, for when I am using a tripod for astrophotography and want to remove the strap, or for studio work at home.
I don't like advertising the camera brand, because they don't pay me for that. :)
I was lucky I guess when I made my choice because I went to a camera show and got to try out many different designs from many different manufacturers, which narrowed down the options, and made the decision quite easy.
Choosing is challenging though when you buy online and cannot play with the product first.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I always have my dog with me when i go out with the camera. if someone tries to steal the camera from me they are either stupid or have a dead wish. I am not worried about hitting anything, the camera hangs on my back and i would need to walk backwards into something to hit it. Also my gear is more on the budget side, the most expensive one is the Sony a7rii and that was just €1099 when i bought it used last September.

Then you don’t have to worry much, I would say is down to the photographer. I also forgot to mention the length and weight of the lens will make a bit difference when using the straps.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Then you don’t have to worry much, I would say is down to the photographer. I also forgot to mention the length and weight of the lens will make a bit difference when using the straps.
My biggest lens is the Laowa 100mm macro lens. It is 15.5 cm long and weighs 638 grams, the Sony a7rii weighs 625 grams, so my heaviest combination is 1263 grams.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
My biggest lens is the Laowa 100mm macro lens. It is 15.5 cm long and weighs 638 grams, the Sony a7rii weighs 625 grams, so my heaviest combination is 1263 grams.

That is not bad, i biggest is is 70-200mm F2,8 L Ii which is really heavy as well, Plus expensive . But the 100mm shouldn’t be to bad to be hold on a camera strap.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
That is not bad, i biggest is is 70-200mm F2,8 L Ii which is really heavy as well, Plus expensive . But the 100mm shouldn’t be to bad to be hold on a camera strap.
I usually walk around with it in my hands, it is just the first few hundred meters that i carry it on my back. The only problem with having it handheld with strap attached is that the strap either catches on things or that it is in my way. Nearest camera shop is a 45 mile roundtrip and not sure if they have camera straps that you can try out, last time i was there i did not see any demo straps lying around.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I usually walk around with it in my hands, it is just the first few hundred meters that i carry it on my back. The only problem with having it handheld with strap attached is that the strap either catches on things or that it is in my way. Nearest camera shop is a 45 mile roundtrip and not sure if they have camera straps that you can try out, last time i was there i did not see any demo straps lying around.

I do keep the camera in my hands as well, to avoid hitting it to something when I’m walking, even if I have it on my neck, is really heave to leave it.

Have you tried to eBay or to look on YouTube for the best strap ?

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I do keep the camera in my hands as well, to avoid hitting it to something when I’m walking, even if I have it on my neck, is really heave to leave it.

Have you tried to eBay or to look on YouTube for the best strap ?
I have looked at youtube camera strap review en written ones. There are some that might work for me, but then i ask myself how safe is the attachment to the tripod mount? Does it stay secured or do you need to tighten it all the time?

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I have looked at youtube camera strap review en written ones. There are some that might work for me, but then i ask myself how safe is the attachment to the tripod mount? Does it stay secured or do you need to tighten it all the time?

I’ve looked on Amazon for you, and I would say this is something which probably even me I would consider, you can attach it to the lens ring as well as tripod mount. It’s all about how heavy is your camera + lens. Definitely don’t buy cheap one of you decide to go with shoulder strap.

Last edited:
TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I’ve looked on Amazon for you, and I would say this is something which probably even me I would consider, you can attach it to the lens ring as well as tripod mount. It’s all about how heavy is your camera + lens. Definitely don’t buy cheap one of you decide to go with shoulder strap.

Thanks for the link. Will have a better look later. Also need to check if it can be worn on both shoulders or just on the left as on the photo. I usually have it resting on the right shoulder, even though i am right handed.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Thanks for the link. Will have a better look later. Also need to check if it can be worn on both shoulders or just on the left as on the photo. I usually have it resting on the right shoulder, even though i am right handed.

I don't think there should be any issue, also on description doesn't say left or right handed, unless I haven't checked properly.

Anyway, you would be looking at something similar. Personally, that's what I would look at if I were decided to go and buy a shoulder strap.