Photography Photography, any ambitions or just a hobby?

• Thread starter panos_adgr
  • Start date
  • Watchers 8

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

General photography discussion.
panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
Photography
Is our hobby or not just that?
It would be nice to share our thoughts on our beloved hobby and the deep ambitions if there are any.
Why do we do photography? A not philosophical question necessarily but more of a personal view of each one of us.

We all do love photography. But would we like to 'lead' us at some point or we just want to do it just because we like to capture images?

Snook911

Snook911

Nov 1, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Hello Panos, right now photography is just a hobby. It has been an on and off again hobby for the last 25 years or so. I have had a few diffent Cameras over that time and every time I would get a new camera I would day dream about becoming a professional photographer or a least trying to start something on the side but of course life always got in the way. Marriage, raising 2 children and my actual career always came first on photography stayed just a hobby. My kids are grown now and one just moved out and one in college so I have been thinking now might be the time to try to break into photography even just part time. I already have thousands of images I could scan though and print. I thought maybe I would start off with some local markets and take a booth to show off my work and see how it goes. I just bought my latest toy , DJI Air 2S camera drone and am having a lot a fun flying around town taking pictures from a whole new perspective. If you get a chance please check out my photos in the Aerial Photography Forum.

By the way my wife is Greek and in August we visited your beautiful country for the first time. We spent 17 days traveling around and had a wonderful time taking in the charm and artistry of Greece.

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Hello panos_adgr panos_adgr,
This is an interesting question. For me it's just something I've always enjoyed doing. Ever since my first compact film camera (Kodak instamatic? Something like that) that didn't allow any adjustments, which I must have received for my 12th birthday, I've always tried to capture what I found beautiful around me. I was disappointed with the results for a long time! Between what I saw and what I saw on the paper print that came back from the photographer, without any possibility of correction, there was almost always a world of difference... Then there was the SLR and slide period which gave a little less disappointment. And finally the current digital period with the almost infinite possibilities of corrections in my images. I mainly take pictures for myself, but of course I'm always very happy if other people like my pictures too. I have no other ambition than to maybe once do a small exhibition in a restaurant or similar place.

Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Hello panos_adgr panos_adgr ,

Yes, very good topic to discuss. I'm between hobby and something ambitious. I do offer my photography services as a freelancer. Had a client last month. Apart from that, I like to be a hobbyist.

I don't think my level Is that high that I can progress to be a full time photographer.

I do like photography, because hives you freedom from problems and also is good for your mental health.

Also, is definitely not a cheat hobby, and totally depending on how much time you willing to do photography. Sadly, in my situation, a lot of time depending on the weather here on UK.

I wish a was a professional photographer who travel all around the world and capture all these nice places, unseen by people.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I have no other ambition than to maybe once do a small exhibition in a restaurant or similar place.
That's actually good idea, I was thinking the same. But then you bed to get in touch with the restaurant owner and have a chat with him.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
DJI Air 2S camera drone and am having a lot a fun flying around town taking pictures from a whole new perspective.
Aerial landscape photography is an other world. I bought recently mini 3 Pro because the air2s is too heavy to fly in the city or town.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
By the way my wife is Greek and in August we visited your beautiful country for the first time. We spent 17 days traveling around and had a wonderful time taking in the charm and artistry of Greece.
That's great!
It's nice to read these nice comments! There are many nice places here! Hope you enjoyed local gastronomy as well! 🙂

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
Morexp57 Morexp57 Jack Jack Snook911 Snook911

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
It is a question or a thought that goes around my mind as well. Being in my early 40s, I,m doing photography as a hobby since I was 11 years old.
The last 3-4 years I'm into it more intensely. There are times that I would like to do a bit more than having photography as a simple hobby. Not professionally though. I would let's say prefer to have some income from stock sites but there is no hope in it nowadays with so much 'offer' from so many photographers who are very good!
What I like very much is to participate in photography competitions and I would like to achieve something.

Snook911

Snook911

Nov 1, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
That's great!
It's nice to read these nice comments! There are many nice places here! Hope you enjoyed local gastronomy as well! 🙂
Yes, of course Greek food is the best! We are Greek Orthodox and have many Greek friends so we eat a lot of Greek food. Many of the Greek churches in the area have Greek food festivals which is the best place to get authentic Greek food made by the Yia Yia's! LOL

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
For me, I have always enjoyed art and being able to convey my love of nature through photographs is a joy.
I am only a serious hobbyist really, but do sell a few images every now and then. My main love of photography is just to be able to get out of the house and have a few stress free hours wandering around with a camera.
I visit some wonderful places, see some beautiful things and just enjoy sharing that with people that have similar interests.
I have no definitive ambitions to take this to the professional level, but who knows what the future holds and if thats where it leads I will happily take the path but only on my terms. :)

E

extraordinaryviewfootage

Nov 3, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
For me it's almost all hobby but at times have been asked to cover a few sporting events, do things for local businesses etc which is usually based on connections.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
Yes, of course Greek food is the best! We are Greek Orthodox and have many Greek friends so we eat a lot of Greek food. Many of the Greek churches in the area have Greek food festivals which is the best place to get authentic Greek food made by the Yia Yia's! LOL
That's beautiful! I'm glad you enjoy it !
😄

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
My main love of photography is just to be able to get out of the house and have a few stress free hours wandering around with a camera.
Nice point!
Me too Andy! I love photography since I was a child and indeed the experience removes all of the stress!
When I go out to take photos I dedicate myself completely in it. There are times that when I finish my photoshoot and return to my base (home/hotel or wherever) I feel nicely tired but with a feeling of joy and fulfillment.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
For me it's almost all hobby but at times have been asked to cover a few sporting events, do things for local businesses etc which is usually based on connections.
I think it is nice if you can earn something out of it.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Morexp57 Morexp57 Jack Jack Snook911 Snook911

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
It is a question or a thought that goes around my mind as well. Being in my early 40s, I,m doing photography as a hobby since I was 11 years old.
The last 3-4 years I'm into it more intensely. There are times that I would like to do a bit more than having photography as a simple hobby. Not professionally though. I would let's say prefer to have some income from stock sites but there is no hope in it nowadays with so much 'offer' from so many photographers who are very good!
What I like very much is to participate in photography competitions and I would like to achieve something.

I don't think stock images can generate some income. I have uploaded on Adobe Stock Website around 1200 images and 100 drone videos, and I made $8 in 1 year 😅. So no big chances, probably you can make some money on YouTube if you do videography, but even that, us hard as well.

I'm consider myself as a hobbyist too, and yes, would love to have some extra passive income from photography.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
It is a hobby for me. i find myself not good at it, see myself as a beginner. I do like it but my lack of confidence keeps me from doing things. Like today i was supposed to go to a town nearby to shoot the church and got cold feet and stayed home. Didn't believe my photos would turn out good enough so told myself why go if the photos you take are not good, mind as well stay home.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
It is a hobby for me. i find myself not good at it, see myself as a beginner. I do like it but my lack of confidence keeps me from doing things. Like today i was supposed to go to a town nearby to shoot the church and got cold feet and stayed home. Didn't believe my photos would turn out good enough so told myself why go if the photos you take are not good, mind as well stay home.
Self confidence can be a bitch at times Theo. It doesn't really matter how the photo's turn out though really, so long as you enjoy the day out and bring back some memories.
I have been to special 'once in a lifetime' events in various countries that I will probably never visit again, and took many photo's - Most of which should be thrown away because they are rubbish, but if you catch just one nice shot it is all worth it.. You never know from day to day what the light will be like, and you may just visit during a spectacular moment with wonderful light and get a super shot.
Warm them cold feet up and get going.. :)

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Self confidence can be a bitch at times Theo. It doesn't really matter how the photo's turn out though really, so long as you enjoy the day out and bring back some memories.
I have been to special 'once in a lifetime' events in various countries that I will probably never visit again, and took many photo's - Most of which should be thrown away because they are rubbish, but if you catch just one nice shot it is all worth it.. You never know from day to day what the light will be like, and you may just visit during a spectacular moment with wonderful light and get a super shot.
Warm them cold feet up and get going.. :)
I have to practice some more before i will go on a shoot somewhere. I do enjoy taking photos but with my health the trip takes a lot of energy from me and because of that i want the photos to be good. And at this moment i am not convinced that they will be. Last year i went into town, a trip of a few minutes and took shots of the veterans day, when i got home i was exhausted after 1,5 hour of taking photos. I was realy disappointed that all the photos turned out to be rubbish.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
I have to practice some more before i will go on a shoot somewhere. I do enjoy taking photos but with my health the trip takes a lot of energy from me and because of that i want the photos to be good. And at this moment i am not convinced that they will be. Last year i went into town, a trip of a few minutes and took shots of the veterans day, when i got home i was exhausted after 1,5 hour of taking photos. I was realy disappointed that all the photos turned out to be rubbish.
Dear TMG1961 TMG1961
Nobody is born good in something. We all become good through time. There is no need to be so strict to yourself. Photography is something that you like it and this is why you do it. Even the greatest photographers fail very often to take good photos due to many occasions or reasons but this doesn't stop them. To do some really nice photos you must first do some bad and through this you will improve yourself. Never let down. Just pick your camera and take photos.

There are times when I go somewhere believing that I will to a great photoshoot and it turns out to be a complete fail. But you know something?
The time I spent with my camera out in the fields or in the city or wherever I may be is the most beautiful thing! Just doing what I love.
So don't thong about these. Just enjoy photography.