Photography POLL: VERO vs Instagram vs 500px?

• Thread starter Georgehphoto
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

General photography discussion.

What are your top platforms for sharing photos?

• Instagram

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • VERO

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Twitter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Facebook

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Website forum (Other / Reddit)

• 500px

• Flickr

• Own website

• Adobe / creative Cloud

• I don’t use social

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
G

Georgehphoto

Dec 5, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Hi all, I use 500px and Instagram for publishing my photos - not to great effect but slowly, steadily building a portfolio following. Has anyone used vero much yet? Is it worth using and why? Not sure I can face managing a 3rd social media profile… advice on this, and any other social platforms / groups photographers can use very welcome! If this poll has been run before then please send me the results!

Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Hi G Georgehphoto, to be honest, I don't use any of them. Just because is time consuming and there aren't any results.. I tried Instagram, but unfortunately the algorithm doesn't work towards photographers anymore, work towards naked girls, and useless videos. I do share only on here.

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Like Jack Jack, I don't really use a platform for my photos. I do have an Instagram account (with only 14 posts...) that has been left with one photo for a very long time. In fact, I post the most on here.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Like Jack Jack, I don't really use a platform for my photos. I do have an Instagram account (with only 14 posts...) that has been left with one photo for a very long time. In fact, I post the most on here.

I believe is more convenient to share Images on there where they are really appreciated than somewhere only to get likes.

G

Georgehphoto

Dec 5, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Ok based on the replies, maybe I asked the wrong question. I see the issues with social media - I’m not advocating for it - but it is what it is.

Scenario:

If you meet someone at work / through family / friends / interests etc and you tell them you’re a photographer.

They ask “where can I see your stuff?”

How do you respond?

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Ok based on the replies, maybe I asked the wrong question. I see the issues with social media - I’m not advocating for it - but it is what it is.

Scenario:

If you meet someone at work / through family / friends / interests etc and you tell them you’re a photographer.

They ask “where can I see your stuff?”

How do you respond?

Build your own website, that looks more professional. I have all my images on my website if someone want to check my work. If you check Instagram or Facebook, they don't welcome images anymore, they sponsor videos and this new thing reels which makes people more addicted.

Other hosting website I believe are charging monthly fees to get more storage.

The best solution for you, is to create your own website where you can upload all your work on there, make some business cards with your website so other people can access easily if they forget your website name. Trust me, you will be happier than having your images shared on hundreds places. It's just time consuming to keep up to date social media accounts.

But that's my opinion. I do share my images on here, and the rest images I upload on my own website.

I created a facebook account recently so I can run some ads, apart from that I'm not using it. There is no value on there for me, nothing to learn or to see, apart from people who has nothing to do but just making useless reels.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
I have used Vero for a few years now, and it seems to be growing. I like the platform as it is easy and not full of crap like Instagram.
I also use LinkedIn from time to time.
Facebook I use mainly just for friends and a couple of local photo clubs I am associated with.
It is nice to have a personal website address to link to, as this does look professional, but I find my adobe portfolio is just as good really.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I have used Vero for a few years now, and it seems to be growing. I like the platform as it is easy and not full of crap like Instagram.
I also use LinkedIn from time to time.
Facebook I use mainly just for friends and a couple of local photo clubs I am associated with.
It is nice to have a personal website address to link to, as this does look professional, but I find my adobe portfolio is just as good really.

I haven't checked Adobe portfolio, but building own website won't cost you fortune and is not hard anymore. Just install the script and the website is ready for uploading images.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
I haven't checked Adobe portfolio, but building own website won't cost you fortune and is not hard anymore. Just install the script and the website is ready for uploading images.
I am on a limited budget Jack, so every penny I can save the better :) I pay an annual subscription to Adobe for photoshop & lightroom which provides a free portfolio you can set up. So I want to use this and get my money's worth :)
I did have my own website previously, but after 4 years I found I had very few visitors every month and no real work offers or opportunities came from it, so I closed it down.
I get more feedback & work opportunities from Vero, LinkedIn and Facebook to be honest.

Snook911

Snook911

Nov 1, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Hi G Georgehphoto, to be honest, I don't use any of them. Just because is time consuming and there aren't any results.. I tried Instagram, but unfortunately the algorithm doesn't work towards photographers anymore, work towards naked girls, and useless videos. I do share only on here.
Hi Jack. I have had a pretty good experience with Instagram because I only follow other photographers and drone content creators. Once the algorithm sees the content you like its been pretty good at only showing me like content. Its not super fast but I have about 425 follows in a couple of months and I know that those followers are actually interested in my work. Also there are a lot of very talented Photographers/Drone Flyers on Instagram and I enjoy looking at their work.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I am on a limited budget Jack, so every penny I can save the better :) I pay an annual subscription to Adobe for photoshop & lightroom which provides a free portfolio you can set up. So I want to use this and get my money's worth :)
I did have my own website previously, but after 4 years I found I had very few visitors every month and no real work offers or opportunities came from it, so I closed it down.
I get more feedback & work opportunities from Vero, LinkedIn and Facebook to be honest.

Fair enough Andy Smith Andy Smith, I'm not sure how much you've been told that having a own website cost, or you found in Internet, but it will cost cheaper than Adobe subscription.

To be honest, I don't even check visitors on my own Websites, they are for my personal use. If someone likes my work they always welcome to visit my own website portfolio.

I do have a LinkedIn account as well, but I'm not using it much. I should check Vero

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Hi Jack. I have had a pretty good experience with Instagram because I only follow other photographers and drone content creators. Once the algorithm sees the content you like its been pretty good at only showing me like content. Its not super fast but I have about 425 follows in a couple of months and I know that those followers are actually interested in my work. Also there are a lot of very talented Photographers/Drone Flyers on Instagram and I enjoy looking at their work.

I do agree, however that's personal preferences. I hate Instagram or any other social media sites. I'm not using any, and happy. Is sad that, everything is on social media sites nowadays and not forums, example when I need some help with certain things, I prefer forums over social media sites, recently I got a parking ticket, and I asked a question on a forum where I'm a member, and was surprised of level of help I got. On social media sites, you get more trolls than people are actually interested helping you.

Snook911

Snook911

Nov 1, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I do agree, however that's personal preferences. I hate Instagram or any other social media sites. I'm not using any, and happy. Is sad that, everything is on social media sites nowadays and not forums, example when I need some help with certain things, I prefer forums over social media sites, recently I got a parking ticket, and I asked a question on a forum where I'm a member, and was surprised of level of help I got. On social media sites, you get more trolls than people are actually interested helping you.
Yes, for sure Forums and social media sites have different uses. I use both of them but I usually would not go on my social media sites to ask for help. (although I may ask for help on certain Facebook Groups I belong to too that are local to the place where I live. I have found these groups made up of you neighbors very helpful in the past). I have a question or need help on something I would go to my forums like the DJI Forum, Mavic Pilots Forum, Photography Forum ect.... Instagram and Tik Tok I am using solely to get my work out there and viewed by as many people as possible. People in the photographer community on both sites have been nothing but supportive of my work sending me many messages of encouragement and praise. I'll be honest and say I am hoping over time to build up enough followers to try an monetize the accounts. I mean why not try and make some extra money doing something that I love to do. I have so far never received any negative feedback or really see anything that is offensive on either site.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Yes, for sure Forums and social media sites have different uses. I use both of them but I usually would not go on my social media sites to ask for help. (although I may ask for help on certain Facebook Groups I belong to too that are local to the place where I live. I have found these groups made up of you neighbors very helpful in the past). I have a question or need help on something I would go to my forums like the DJI Forum, Mavic Pilots Forum, Photography Forum ect.... Instagram and Tik Tok I am using solely to get my work out there and viewed by as many people as possible. People in the photographer community on both sites have been nothing but supportive of my work sending me many messages of encouragement and praise. I'll be honest and say I am hoping over time to build up enough followers to try an monetize the accounts. I mean why not try and make some extra money doing something that I love to do. I have so far never received any negative feedback or really see anything that is offensive on either site.

I tried to monetize as well, but is not that easy as you think. I do a YouTube channel, I do have Adobe stock where I put drone videos, images for sale, and no luck. Haven't tried tiktok as I'm concerned about my privacy which goes to Chinese government. Not sure how they are using my data, or they probably build my online personality based on what I'm watching or what I'm interested.

Also, I have to maintain 3 forums as well, which is time consuming too.

But I do agree with you, both social media and forums has their own use.