Gear advice Quality on mirrorless camera

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

A discussion about gear such camera, lenses, tripods, and other equipments.
Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
As I have only L glass, would the quality be affected when these will be used on a mirrorless camera?

Tony Cannon

Tony Cannon

Jan 14, 2023
Edit my images
Yes
I can honestly say that I believe there would be a difference in quality - but for me it has undoubtedly been a positive boost!

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I can honestly say that I believe there would be a difference in quality - but for me it has undoubtedly been a positive boost!

So you saying is not worth investing in L lenses if I'm planning to upgrade to a mirrorless camera body in the future?

Tony Cannon

Tony Cannon

Jan 14, 2023
Edit my images
Yes
I already had two L lenses and I have seen a notable improvement going from my 250D crop to a full fram RP.Similarly I have seen nothing in the photos that makes me think "should have gone RF glass as well" - so I believe i have the best of both worlds, tried and tested L glass and a full frame mirrorless.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I already had two L lenses and I have seen a notable improvement going from my 250D crop to a full fram RP.Similarly I have seen nothing in the photos that makes me think "should have gone RF glass as well" - so I believe i have the best of both worlds, tried and tested L glass and a full frame mirrorless.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. If I'm planning to upgrade to RF mirrorless in the future. Then should I keep my L lenses or upgrade them to RF glass.

Tony Cannon

Tony Cannon

Jan 14, 2023
Edit my images
Yes
It might depend on what glass you already have. The RF equivalents of mine are each 4 figures and between them my own didn't come to that! But that is now, later on who knows?

Personally, get the Canon converter, stick to your L lenses and maybe in the future if you feel flush and get the bargains, then move over to RF. Even the likes of Jared Polin will openly say to save money, buy L series lenses and the converter and put anything left towards your camera when moving over

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
I use EF L lenses on my mirrorless R5 without any issues Jack, I personally do not think there is any loss of quality and the focus is still fast, true and works like a dream.
I still use my older 5D Mk III also, so being able to switch lenses between cameras is useful, however if I purchase any new lenses I would probably lean towards RF versions just because of the new technology going into them, and they are lighter unless I find an older EF version for much cheaper price.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I use EF L lenses on my mirrorless R5 without any issues Jack, I personally do not think there is any loss of quality and the focus is still fast, true and works like a dream.
I still use my older 5D Mk III also, so being able to switch lenses between cameras is useful, however if I purchase any new lenses I would probably lean towards RF versions just because of the new technology going into them, and they are lighter unless I find an older EF version for much cheaper price.

Thanks for reply Andy Smith Andy Smith . The price of RF lenses are more expensive than the EF L lenses, as I already checked. And I do agree about the weight, they are lighter.

I believe you are using and EF-RF adapter?

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
It might depend on what glass you already have. The RF equivalents of mine are each 4 figures and between them my own didn't come to that! But that is now, later on who knows?

Personally, get the Canon converter, stick to your L lenses and maybe in the future if you feel flush and get the bargains, then move over to RF. Even the likes of Jared Polin will openly say to save money, buy L series lenses and the converter and put anything left towards your camera when moving over
I already own 4L lenses

70-200 f. 2.8 L II IS
70-300 L IS
100mm f.2.8 macro IS
And 24-70mm L II

I'm thinking to add 100-400 mm and after that upgrade to mirrorless camera, or it's better to upgrade to mirrorless and purchasing the lens after?

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Yes Jack, just the simple straightforward EF/RF adapter. It is fine, quick and easy to use.

I will upgrade to a mirrorless maybe next year. Want to get new EF lens, hopefully.