Buying advice Saving for a lens vs camera body

• Thread starter Jack
  • Start date
  • Watchers 6

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

Our member, is asking for advice on purchasing photo equipment, please do give best advice.

What should I buy first ?

• The lens

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
A bit of interesting question here. So, I want to buy new lens which is 100-400mm L II IS , but also want a new body camera mirrorless full frame. As both are very expensive, I’ll have to decide for which one to save first. Probably will take couple of years .

I know that will be right to buy the lens first and after the camera, but as I have a Canon 7D M2, I’m taking in consideration upgrading my camera as well.

what’s your advice, should I save for camera body or for the lens ?

C

Chavezshutter

Feb 4, 2022
A bit of interesting question here. So, I want to buy new lens which is 100-400mm L II IS , but also want a new body camera mirrorless full frame. As both are very expensive, I’ll have to decide for which one to save first. Probably will take couple of years .

I know that will be right to buy the lens first and after the camera, but as I have a Canon 7D M2, I’m taking in consideration upgrading my camera as well.

what’s your advice, should I save for camera body or for the lens ?
How many other FF lenses you have at the moment and what focal ranges?

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
To be honest if it is going to take you a couple of years to save the money, don't make the decision yet as to which one you want to buy, just save the money.
A lot can change in 2 years and the lens you are saving for might not be ideal then, or a more ideal camera body may have been released.
Plus in 2 years there may be a few used lenses or mirrorless bodies kicking around for a good price, or you may see a great deal on somewhere with a good discount which helps make the decision for you.
At the end of the day there is nothing wrong with the kit you have at the moment, so my advice would be to just save the money, and make a decision when the time gets closer.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
Well... I would say that buy first what is more important for your work.

Some years back I had the same dilemma owning a crop camera (which I still own) and was thinking to invest on lenses in crop format or go FF. I went FF and when I saw the results I didn't feel sorry or regret a bit. I feel more 'secure' and future proof with my FF cameras and I will be investing in more FF in the near future. The second hand lens option is also great as Andy Smith Andy Smith mentioned and I have followed it some times.

But at the end of the day what matters are your priorities and needs. If you are ok with your camera and you feel it has 'more' to give you go for lenses. But if you feel that you have exhausted your camera capabilities then go for a body.

The positive thing (at least from my perspective) is that you already own FF lenses and an investment in FF body has fundaments and will pay of.
Finally, if the 100-400 is 'must' and is more important than upgrading your camera then go for it.

My suggestion is to upgrade to the thing that you are going to use the most.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
How many other FF lenses you have at the moment and what focal ranges?

Thats my list at the moment:

• Canon 70-300mm L IS
  • Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS L II
  • Canon 100mm f2.8 L IS
  • Canon 24-70mm f2.8 L II
I also have 2 EF-S lenses, which most likely I’ll sell them in the future.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
To be honest if it is going to take you a couple of years to save the money, don't make the decision yet as to which one you want to buy, just save the money.
A lot can change in 2 years and the lens you are saving for might not be ideal then, or a more ideal camera body may have been released.
Plus in 2 years there may be a few used lenses or mirrorless bodies kicking around for a good price, or you may see a great deal on somewhere with a good discount which helps make the decision for you.
At the end of the day there is nothing wrong with the kit you have at the moment, so my advice would be to just save the money, and make a decision when the time gets closer.

I definitely won’t buy any lenses now, my gf will kill me with all my lenses :D. But yes, want to start saving for new camera body or new lens.
Personally I don’t like buying used equipment, as you never know what could be wrong with it.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
This is excellent advice. But not easy to follow. It's always tempting to want a better camera or better lenses. 🙂
That’s right, photography is expensive hobby :D

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Well... I would say that buy first what is more important for your work.

Some years back I had the same dilemma owning a crop camera (which I still own) and was thinking to invest on lenses in crop format or go FF. I went FF and when I saw the results I didn't feel sorry or regret a bit. I feel more 'secure' and future proof with my FF cameras and I will be investing in more FF in the near future. The second hand lens option is also great as Andy Smith Andy Smith mentioned and I have followed it some times.

But at the end of the day what matters are your priorities and needs. If you are ok with your camera and you feel it has 'more' to give you go for lenses. But if you feel that you have exhausted your camera capabilities then go for a body.

The positive thing (at least from my perspective) is that you already own FF lenses and an investment in FF body has fundaments and will pay of.
Finally, if the 100-400 is 'must' and is more important than upgrading your camera then go for it.

My suggestion is to upgrade to the thing that you are going to use the most.

Thanks for advice panos_adgr panos_adgr . I don’t need the 100-400mm now, most likely I might buy new camera body, but the thing is what’s the best investment, lens or camera body. I know lenses, are made to last, when camera bodies have certain amount of pictures you can take, after that you need to replace the shutter if I’m not wrong. Not sure if that’s applicable for mirror less cameras as well.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
Thanks for advice panos_adgr panos_adgr . I don’t need the 100-400mm now, most likely I might buy new camera body, but the thing is what’s the best investment, lens or camera body. I know lenses, are made to last, when camera bodies have certain amount of pictures you can take, after that you need to replace the shutter if I’m not wrong. Not sure if that’s applicable for mirror less cameras as well.
Concerning shutter life I would say that a consumer body has a total life of 150k clicks which is the rule. But there are many cases (I would say a lot!) where the cameras exceed this number if they are handled well without extreme use of continuous shooting bursts for long duration... A pro body can go by the rule to 250k. Now if lets say you make 25k clicks per year that's a long life.
As for the lenses yes they are an investment and you are already OK. So a body would seem a nice choice. As for the 100-400 you already have the 70-300mm which you can match with a 1.5X tele.
As for the mirrorless the shutter life is identical except if you choose the fully mechanical shutter if the camera happens to have this mode. The mirrorless cameras use electronic front curtain and triggers shutter for the rear curtain which means that shutter closes and opens, whereas fully mechanical translates in closing the shutter, then opens for the front curtain then closes rear curtain and opens again . Its a bit stressing for then mechanism.

Anyway, you know your needs better than any of us. 😉

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Concerning shutter life I would say that a consumer body has a total life of 150k clicks which is the rule. But there are many cases (I would say a lot!) where the cameras exceed this number if they are handled well without extreme use of continuous shooting bursts for long duration... A pro body can go by the rule to 250k. Now if lets say you make 25k clicks per year that's a long life.
As for the lenses yes they are an investment and you are already OK. So a body would seem a nice choice. As for the 100-400 you already have the 70-300mm which you can match with a 1.5X tele.
As for the mirrorless the shutter life is identical except if you choose the fully mechanical shutter if the camera happens to have this mode. The mirrorless cameras use electronic front curtain and triggers shutter for the rear curtain which means that shutter closes and opens, whereas fully mechanical translates in closing the shutter, then opens for the front curtain then closes rear curtain and opens again . Its a bit stressing for then mechanism.

Anyway, you know your needs better than any of us. 😉

You right, if the camera is treated well, then most likely will exceed the shutter count. I think for my 7D M2 Is around 200k. And I definitely don’t do 25k a year. I would be lucky to do 10k a year.

Regarding 70-300 I cannot use any tele converters sadly. Is the L version.

Thanks for the info about mirrorless system, I thought shutter count is not applied on them.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
You right, if the camera is treated well, then most likely will exceed the shutter count. I think for my 7D M2 Is around 200k. And I definitely don’t do 25k a year. I would be lucky to do 10k a year.

Regarding 70-300 I cannot use any tele converters sadly. Is the L version.

Thanks for the info about mirrorless system, I thought shutter count is not applied on them.
You are welcome Jack.
Shutter life is a concern for me as well this is why I'm informed. See, your 7D M2 is a good example. A careful use will surely exceed the shutter life.

Yes it applies to mirrorless as well. But there are cameras which have fully electronic shutter and it's a nice alternative in case you are not shooting moving subjects (due to motion distortion in some cases which happens often).
I'm doing a lot of long exposure photography with stacking (which requires many shots 9-10 or more depending on the case) so I use in these cases the electronic shutter of camera. So I have no clicks.

C

Chavezshutter

Feb 4, 2022
Thats my list at the moment:

• Canon 70-300mm L IS
  • Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS L II
  • Canon 100mm f2.8 L IS
  • Canon 24-70mm f2.8 L II
I also have 2 EF-S lenses, which most likely I’ll sell them in the future.
You have more lenses then I had when I went FF, i vote camera

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Yes it applies to mirrorless as well. But there are cameras which have fully electronic shutter and it's a nice alternative in case you are not shooting moving subjects (due to motion distortion in some cases which happens often).
I'm doing a lot of long exposure photography with stacking (which requires many shots 9-10 or more depending on the case) so I use in these cases the electronic shutter of camera. So I have no clicks.

That's good information. So shutter is not affected when taking the picture using electronic shutter ?

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
That's good information. So shutter is not affected when taking the picture using electronic shutter ?
Well depending on the camera and the way it works, no it is not affected. But there pros and cons with digital shutters.

This is why I prefer digital shutter with my camera. I try not to wear the shutter mechanism. I haven't made many clicks though. I'm at about 12k in 3 years with my D850 but it is because I use my other cameras as well.

When I had a mirrorless a6000 in the past I was using e-front curtain with the shutter. It didn't have a completely electronic shutter.

But Jack with the use that we make cameras will last for quite some time.

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Out of curiosity, I checked the number of shutter releases on my Nikon D7500 that I bought in July 2017. (So about 4 and a half years ago): 19250... That's about 4280 shutter releases per year. I can go on for a long time with this camera!

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
Out of curiosity, I checked the number of shutter releases on my Nikon D7500 that I bought in July 2017. (So about 4 and a half years ago): 19250... That's about 4280 shutter releases per year. I can go on for a long time with this camera!
That's for sure.
20k clicks are not a lot. It still has a lot to give. 🙂

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I'll have to check my shutter count on my camera. But us definitely not more than 30k. 🤔

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I watched an interesting video on YouTube that shows what you can do with a £19 camera and an old lens. It's impressive and shows that it's the photographer who takes the picture and not the camera.
It makes you think about buying new equipment and what you can still achieve with your old equipment.