Gear advice Screen calibration

• Thread starter Morexp57
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

A discussion about gear such camera, lenses, tripods, and other equipments.
Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I have just received my latest acquisition of equipment for photography. I bought a calibration probe for my computer screen.

I never thought it was necessary as an amateur photographer, but the last time I had some pictures printed I was very disappointed with the results because the prints were very dark compared to the screen rendering.

I just did the calibration and I see a slight change in the colors. The program recommends a monthly calibration.
How about you? Do you regularly calibrate your screen?

Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I have just received my latest acquisition of equipment for photography. I bought a calibration probe for my computer screen.

I never thought it was necessary as an amateur photographer, but the last time I had some pictures printed I was very disappointed with the results because the prints were very dark compared to the screen rendering.

I just did the calibration and I see a slight change in the colors. The program recommends a monthly calibration.
How about you? Do you regularly calibrate your screen?

Never thought about it as well. Are you talking about Windows screen calibration?

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Never thought about it as well. Are you talking about Windows screen calibration?
No, I use an iMac. But these probes work with all computers to my knowledge.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
No, I use an iMac. But these probes work with all computers to my knowledge.

Honestly I have never done it before. I had printed some images with my own printed and everything was well in terms of colours.

Maybe you should check your video card?

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Honestly I have never done it before. I had printed some images with my own printed and everything was well in terms of colours.

Maybe you should check your video card?
Most of the time, I don't have a problem with printing (at home or at an external supplier).
It's just that one time I wasn't happy with a whole book that was too dark. Probably I should have protested about the quality.
Screen calibration is probably a luxury for us amateur photographers. It's especially important for professionals who work with several people on files (marketing or advertising, etc.)
But hey, now I have a screen that is calibrated!

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Most of the time, I don't have a problem with printing (at home or at an external supplier).
It's just that one time I wasn't happy with a whole book that was too dark. Probably I should have protested about the quality.
Screen calibration is probably a luxury for us amateur photographers. It's especially important for professionals who work with several people on files (marketing or advertising, etc.)
But hey, now I have a screen that is calibrated!

I believe those professionals have very expensive PC or laptops who will deliver outstanding image quality, so they know exactly how the finish product will look.

Probably was a printing issue if the book was too dark?

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I believe those professionals have very expensive PC or laptops who will deliver outstanding image quality, so they know exactly how the finish product will look.

Probably was a printing issue if the book was too dark?
Yes probably.

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
You should have asked for a refund or reprint the book. 🤔
I know, but it's too late now...
As my pictures are often quite dark, I thought at the time that it was my fault.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I know, but it's too late now...
As my pictures are often quite dark, I thought at the time that it was my fault.

At least lesson learnt. You probably could add extra exposure to the pictures as well. 🤔

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
I believe it is always a good idea to calibrate the screen if you are printing regularly and for professional purposes. Just so you ensure the colors you see on screen are what will be printed. I also think you should use the correct ICC profile for the paper and printer if you can, this helps ensure accurate ink to paper.
Mu experience is most commercial printers will print darker than my screen, so I always add around 20% exposure if I am sending my image out for remote printing, If I can actually visit the printer I will work with them to get what I want, often taking my laptop to show them the desired result.
Printing at home is slightly different, as I always do a heap of test prints with any new printer, to work out how much extra exposure, vibrance, contrast & saturation I need to get the best image.
I am considering calibration of my screen though also..

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I believe it is always a good idea to calibrate the screen if you are printing regularly and for professional purposes. Just so you ensure the colors you see on screen are what will be printed. I also think you should use the correct ICC profile for the paper and printer if you can, this helps ensure accurate ink to paper.
Mu experience is most commercial printers will print darker than my screen, so I always add around 20% exposure if I am sending my image out for remote printing, If I can actually visit the printer I will work with them to get what I want, often taking my laptop to show them the desired result.
Printing at home is slightly different, as I always do a heap of test prints with any new printer, to work out how much extra exposure, vibrance, contrast & saturation I need to get the best image.
I am considering calibration of my screen though also..

How about if you'd print one copy at home before sending the pictures to the printing service? This way you'll have an idea how pictures will look printed.

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I don't have much experience with commercial printers. I've only used one of them (online) with excellent results usually. This is just the last time I was disappointed. I'm going to try to go to a small photography business soon that I recently discovered and was able to discuss this problem with. By being there, I will be able to see on his screen what the result is and ask for possible corrections. It is perhaps a little more expensive, but as I don't often make prints it doesn't bother me too much.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
How about if you'd print one copy at home before sending the pictures to the printing service? This way you'll have an idea how pictures will look printed.
It would help a little but not so much as the final printed image depends on the type of paper and ink used, along with which printer is used because different printers will each print differently. It is a good idea to contact the print company and ask them which printers they use, and which paper including paper manufacturer. This way you can 'soft proof' the image in Lightroom using ICC profiles if available from the paper manufacturer, which will get you closer to the desired final print output.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
I don't have much experience with commercial printers. I've only used one of them (online) with excellent results usually. This is just the last time I was disappointed. I'm going to try to go to a small photography business soon that I recently discovered and was able to discuss this problem with. By being there, I will be able to see on his screen what the result is and ask for possible corrections. It is perhaps a little more expensive, but as I don't often make prints it doesn't bother me too much.
Some commercial printers have good staff who understand the process and will assess your image to make the appropriate adjustments before printing, while other online printers just print and don't check the output. I have had a few bad prints sent to me, and the printer has explained they just printed what I sent so it was my fault. Lessons learned there.
Looking at images on screen also depends on screen brightness, because if the screen is really bright the print will always look dark against it.
The local printer I use now will happily print a couple of smaller samples on different paper, without cost, and we can sit together and discuss where improvements can be made, and I get to see which paper provides the best result for the image.
Like you say Morexp57, it can be slightly more expensive, but the experience is so much better and there is no wasted payments for unusable prints.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
It would help a little but not so much as the final printed image depends on the type of paper and ink used, along with which printer is used because different printers will each print differently. It is a good idea to contact the print company and ask them which printers they use, and which paper including paper manufacturer. This way you can 'soft proof' the image in Lightroom using ICC profiles if available from the paper manufacturer, which will get you closer to the desired final print output.

I would probably add that is worth to ask the company if they do a test print, so you can see how the final print will look. This way you’ll have an idea if any adjustments needs to be done to the photo.

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
The local printer I use now will happily print a couple of smaller samples on different paper, without cost, and we can sit together and discuss where improvements can be made, and I get to see which paper provides the best result for the image.
Yes, this is also what I discussed with the photo store I'm going to soon. Being able to discuss and ask for adjustments is well worth the slightly higher price.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Yes, this is also what I discussed with the photo store I'm going to soon. Being able to discuss and ask for adjustments is well worth the slightly higher price.
It is worth it and they will gain a good customer also. In these days of more and more online shops, the local stores are very helpful and appreciative of good return customers, so they do go the extra mile for customer satisfaction.. win/win.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
I would probably add that is worth to ask the company if they do a test print, so you can see how the final print will look. This way you’ll have an idea if any adjustments needs to be done to the photo.
Some one print shops will do test prints for a reduced cost, but it is still somewhat hit & miss as some online shops are all digitally operated, and you upload images online through their web portal, choose your size, framing, paper or other media etc and then pay and wait for delivery.
You can't really beat the face to face experience from a local print shop for this in my opinion, and you then also know what you will get in future, so if you sell prints you can control the quality.