General Social media sites.

• Thread starter Snook911
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

General off topic discussion.
Snook911

Snook911

Nov 1, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I don't like social media sites, they are just time consuming and to many ads.
They can be but mainly I just use Facebook. You can customize what you see and mostly I can just ignore the sponsored posts. I use Facebook for what it was meant for which is to keep with the lives of all my friends and family across the entire country. I grew up about 2500 miles from where I live now and its nice to be able to see and talk with all my friends and relatives on the east coast. I have not seen one of my cousins who lives in PA in probably around 20 years but thanks to Facebook we keep in touch and I see pictures of her and her family almost every day. I also use it for the groups. I belong to a couple of Air 2S Groups and have had nothing but good experiences on there. If I have a question about something I can post it in the group and usually within minutes get a response. Social media has it good points but I admit apps like tic toc or Twitter can become addictive for our youth which is not such a good thing. Heck anything can become addictive, look how much time I have spent on this forum since I joined! LOL :D

Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Personally I don't have social media site and very happy. I'm also aware that Facebook doesn't handle our privacy very well and everything is tracked. Unfortunately we don't have anymore privacy. You either tracked by Google or Social Media sites, or all of them. Depending what you have installed on your phone.

Snook911

Snook911

Nov 1, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Personally I don't have social media site and very happy. I'm also aware that Facebook doesn't handle our privacy very well and everything is tracked. Unfortunately we don't have anymore privacy. You either tracked by Google or Social Media sites, or all of them. Depending what you have installed on your phone.
Yes, unfortunately you are correct, if you are using a phone or computer or really any device connected to the internet you do lose some privacy. Its a trade off and a decision that we all have to make. For me the benefits of having Facebook (or other apps) have so far outweighed any negatives. I have nothing to hide so if they want to track me go ahead. I lead a pretty boring life LOL!! Up a 6:00am go to work home by 6:00pm and repeat!! Ha Ha ha I realize that my life is being tracked and is all online for anyone who really wants to look but what's the alternative to stay offline?? Apple tracks you , google track you, Amazon tracks you....... you can't get away from it so I don't even try.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Yes, unfortunately you are correct, if you are using a phone or computer or really any device connected to the internet you do lose some privacy. Its a trade off and a decision that we all have to make. For me the benefits of having Facebook (or other apps) have so far outweighed any negatives. I have nothing to hide so if they want to track me go ahead. I lead a pretty boring life LOL!! Up a 6:00am go to work home by 6:00pm and repeat!! Ha Ha ha I realize that my life is being tracked and is all online for anyone who really wants to look but what's the alternative to stay offline?? Apple tracks you , google track you, Amazon tracks you....... you can't get away from it so I don't even try.

That's true. Everyone is tracking you, but basically on social media you are the product, because you are targeted with all these useless ads, trying to sell you stuff. I have nothing to hide as well, but my privacy is really important to me. And that's something I would try to not give it away.

I have phone Huawei P40 Pro, it doesn't have Google integrated, which is good at some point. But at the end of the day, you are tracked anyway.

Snook911

Snook911

Nov 1, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
That's true. Everyone is tracking you, but basically on social media you are the product, because you are targeted with all these useless ads, trying to sell you stuff. I have nothing to hide as well, but my privacy is really important to me. And that's something I would try to not give it away.

I have phone Huawei P40 Pro, it doesn't have Google integrated, which is good at some point. But at the end of the day, you are tracked anyway.
Yes, they all track you for targeting advertising. Have you ever noticed that is you are searching for a specific product online all of sudden all the ads you see will be for that product. I have grown numb to the advertising and on Facebook Mobile the advertising is mostly sponsored posts that I just scroll by. I just ignore it all. I am one person the advertising does not work on because I almost never click on any advertising link. Its really a trade off because that how they keep all these apps up and running for free. I will use ad supported apps over paying for them because the ads don't really bother me. I can just ignore them and use the app for free. App Tracking, targeted advertising, lose of some privacy these are all just things we have to deal with in the modern world. Some good and some bad but we have to take them all.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Yes, they all track you for targeting advertising. Have you ever noticed that is you are searching for a specific product online all of sudden all the ads you see will be for that product. I have grown numb to the advertising and on Facebook Mobile the advertising is mostly sponsored posts that I just scroll by. I just ignore it all. I am one person the advertising does not work on because I almost never click on any advertising link. Its really a trade off because that how they keep all these apps up and running for free. I will use ad supported apps over paying for them because the ads don't really bother me. I can just ignore them and use the app for free. App Tracking, targeted advertising, lose of some privacy these are all just things we have to deal with in the modern world. Some good and some bad but we have to take them all.

I've noticed when I was talking to one of my friend about investing, next thing when he checked Facebook, he had all over the place ads about bitcoins and all investing stuff. So looks like our conversation is recorded as well.

Both Explorness and Macroderie are ad free for members. Because I know how annoying they can be.