Photography Some animal images

• Thread starter Phil Nicholson
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

General photography discussion.
Phil Nicholson

Phil Nicholson

Nov 6, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Amazing animals very friendly, I have had a meerkat climbing on me, but they do have razor sharp teeth as I found out! They are also the number one carrier of rabies in South Africa.887566_10200109020622897_435459557_o-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Phil Nicholson

Phil Nicholson

Nov 6, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
P1010023.jpg Honey Badger, this badger was orphaned and was in a rescue center in South Africa, and was due to be released within a few days. They are extremely ferocious and very tough, they have been seen to chase off a pride of lions from their kill. I believe there is a youtube video.The honey badgers smell of honey, I was told that I was one of the few people to actually hold a honey badger, an experience I will never forget.

Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Hi @Phil

I had to create separate thread for such images. As these doesn't fit in photo theme. I like them, are these images taken in the zoo?

Phil Nicholson

Phil Nicholson

Nov 6, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Hi @Phil

I had to create separate thread for such images. As these doesn't fit in photo theme. I like them, are these images taken in the zoo?
Hi Jack, No these are not in a zoo, the one with me and the meerkat was taken in the foyer of a place called Rostock Ritz in Namibia, which is a kind of lodge where you stay in concrete type igloos. It's right in the middle of the Namib desert. If you google Rostock Ritz you will see what I mean. The Meerkat was wild lived outside and was used to roaming free through the reception area. The Honey Badger was in a rescue center for injured and orphaned wild animals at Riversdale South Africa, which has closed due to the death of the owner. I'm sorry to have caused you more work, that wasn't my intention.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Hi Jack, No these are not in a zoo, the one with me and the meerkat was taken in the foyer of a place called Rostock Ritz in Namibia, which is a kind of lodge where you stay in concrete type igloos. It's right in the middle of the Namib desert. If you google Rostock Ritz you will see what I mean. The Meerkat was wild lived outside and was used to roaming free through the reception area. The Honey Badger was in a rescue center for injured and orphaned wild animals at Riversdale South Africa, which has closed due to the death of the owner. I'm sorry to have caused you more work, that wasn't my intention.

Thanks, I will check the location. How's Namibia?

No problem at all, takes seconds to fix stuff like this.

Phil Nicholson

Phil Nicholson

Nov 6, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Thanks, I will check the location. How's Namibia?

No problem at all, takes seconds to fix stuff like this.
Namibia is a beautiful country, their capitol Windhoek is amazing many signs like the hospital are in German script. They also have the Etosha National park, which is home to many wild animals, similar to the Kruger with one exception they is a desert in the center. They also have some of the highest sand dunes in the world at Swakopmund, these sand dunes have been referred to as the walking dunes as they move I think about a metre every year, walking from the coast inland.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Namibia is a beautiful country, their capitol Windhoek is amazing many signs like the hospital are in German script. They also have the Etosha National park, which is home to many wild animals, similar to the Kruger with one exception they is a desert in the center. They also have some of the highest sand dunes in the world at Swakopmund, these sand dunes have been referred to as the walking dunes as they move I think about a metre every year, walking from the coast inland.

Thanks for the information @Phil . I believe everything is cheap there? And you can visit lots of locations.

Phil Nicholson

Phil Nicholson

Nov 6, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Thanks for the information @Phil . I believe everything is cheap there? And you can visit lots of locations.
Yes it is much cheaper there and in SA, for example a whole fillet of beef I would pay something like the equivalent of £10 where over here you would pay something like £8 for one slice of steak, I would get about 8 or 9 steaks from a whole fillet. Petrol is cheaper currently it's 21 Namibian dollars which is 98 pence Sterling. Most of the roads over there are salt or dirt roads and the temperature in the summer can reach 42c.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Yes it is much cheaper there and in SA, for example a whole fillet of beef I would pay something like the equivalent of £10 where over here you would pay something like £8 for one slice of steak, I would get about 8 or 9 steaks from a whole fillet. Petrol is cheaper currently it's 21 Namibian dollars which is 98 pence Sterling. Most of the roads over there are salt or dirt roads and the temperature in the summer can reach 42c.
Maybe is not bad place to retire. How about safety? Is that safe there?

Phil Nicholson

Phil Nicholson

Nov 6, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Maybe is not bad place to retire. How about safety? Is that safe there?
Possibly, If you want to reside there permanently i.e become a resident I think you will need to show that you have an income per month of 2,000.00 USD (£1633) Plus another 1,000.00 USD for your spouse Plus 500 USD for each child. There are many hoops to jump through, and they change the rules almost on a daily basis. But yes it's safe enough, no different than any other country, but being aware of your surroundings is very important!

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Possibly, If you want to reside there permanently i.e become a resident I think you will need to show that you have an income per month of 2,000.00 USD (£1633) Plus another 1,000.00 USD for your spouse Plus 500 USD for each child. There are many hoops to jump through, and they change the rules almost on a daily basis. But yes it's safe enough, no different than any other country, but being aware of your surroundings is very important!

Probably not enough to live there with the pension from UK. 😅.

Agree about surroundings, I think that's for every location or country.