Legal Someone copied your photo

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

The member is seeking photography legal advice.
Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Let’s talk a bit about something everyone probably is worried. What actions can you take , if example, someone has copied your photo without permission from forum, your website or social media ?

I believe there not much to do if the person who choose the photo lives outside of EU, or countries where copyright is not respected.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
It is a complicated situation. Although there are laws that protect the creator in case of unauthorised use especially if it happens in an another country it becomes costly and you have to find a lawyer who knows or handles cases.

If it is in borders it is a bit easier.
The best thing is to have your photos watermarked or signed even if it is not aesthetically pleasing sometimes.

It has happened to me to have seen photos of mine used without my permission. In one case a site uses a photo of mine without my permission.

Last edited:
  • Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
It is a complicated situation. Although there are laws that protect the creator in case of unauthorised use especially if it happens in a another country it becomes costly and you have to find a lawyer who knows or handles cases.

If it is in borders it is a bit easier.
The best thing is to have your photos watermarked or signed even if it is not aesthetically pleasing sometimes.

It has happened to me to have seen photos of mine used without my permission. In one case a site uses a photo of mine without my permission.

So what actions you took against the person or site who have copied your pictures without your permission?

Most people won't be bothered much I guess, because of cost and time consuming.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
So what actions you took against the person or site who have copied your pictures without your permission?

Most people won't be bothered much I guess, because of cost and time consuming.
I haven't made anything....
It bothers me but I do not want to consume myself with it....

What really bothers me a lot is when in Facebook people repost (not share) other people's photos as their own. It has also happened to me twice with an Asian user who was posting a photo of mine in two groups where I was also a member. I reported him twice.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I haven't made anything....
It bothers me but I do not want to consume myself with it....

What really bothers me a lot is when in Facebook people repost (not share) other people's photos as their own. It has also happened to me twice with an Asian user who was posting a photo of mine in two groups where I was also a member. I reported him twice.

So he shared your photo as his? That's really unprofessional. Probably you was really frustrated.

Have the picture been taken down?

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
So he shared your photo as his? That's really unprofessional. Probably you was really frustrated.

Have the picture been taken down?
Yes it was taken down.
But there are many people who want to draw attention in social media (It is a bit sick though) and in order to get it they use whatever mean the can imagine. Even unethical.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Yes it was taken down.
But there are many people who want to draw attention in social media (It is a bit sick though) and in order to get it they use whatever mean the can imagine. Even unethical.

These people who does this doesn't deserve to be called photographers. I know with social media sites copying, sharing other's work is easier than ever.