Photography Stock photography

• Thread starter Jack
  • Start date
  • Watchers 3

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

General photography discussion.
Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
We can talk on here about stock photography. So we don't spam threads withs off topic discussions.
John Gilham John Gilham

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Yes I upload individually as I think thats the only way. I dont post everything I have just those worthy of entering my portfolio. Some stock sites like Dreamsworld, Getty and Shutterstock now have a semi automatic Key word suggestion process which helps a lot. Alamy is still a bit of a grind. The Print to Order sites work in the same way but they mainly promote prints either as a straight print or on canvas, metal or framed with a choice of frame style and backboard ready to hang on the wall. Those you set your own commission so they can be more lucrative, but you your position in the search engine can be effected by setting your price too high.

I upload the images and videos on 10 stock sites. Took me nearly a year to upload everything I had on all of them, and still haven't finished. Getty image did put a restriction on my account as they don't like copy and paste description and title. They are very strict. I like how Adobe works, and couple more. But hate alamy.

Is it worth doing print on demand? I was looking into it. But haven't tried it yet.

John Gilham

John Gilham

Jan 2, 2024
Edit my images
No
I upload the images and videos on 10 stock sites. Took me nearly a year to upload everything I had on all of them, and still haven't finished. Getty image did put a restriction on my account as they don't like copy and paste description and title. They are very strict. I like how Adobe works, and couple more. But hate alamy.

Is it worth doing print on demand? I was looking into it. But haven't tried it yet.
Wow I thought I worked through a lot. Getty and some others make me smile as some will accept an image and some wont, upload it again with a different description and it goes through. I get that most dont like National Trust properties for example but by being economic with the description sometimes it just goes through. Print on demand generally gets me £20+ per sale but the frequency of a sale is spasmodic. One site is also encouraging lower commissions of £5 which gets you to the front of the search but I am happy to get the odd sale at a reasonable price.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Wow I thought I worked through a lot. Getty and some others make me smile as some will accept an image and some wont, upload it again with a different description and it goes through. I get that most dont like National Trust properties for example but by being economic with the description sometimes it just goes through. Print on demand generally gets me £20+ per sale but the frequency of a sale is spasmodic. One site is also encouraging lower commissions of £5 which gets you to the front of the search but I am happy to get the odd sale at a reasonable price.

I won't risk it too much with getty since they have told me that I will risk account suspension and put a submission limit of 25 images a week 😅.

Dreamstime have better comision, but not as popular. Have you tried Freepik?

Do you do video stock as well, or just images?

That's not but for print of demand, and how many sales you generate weekly, if you don't mind me asking.

John Gilham

John Gilham

Jan 2, 2024
Edit my images
No
I won't risk it too much with getty since they have told me that I will risk account suspension and put a submission limit of 25 images a week 😅.

Dreamstime have better comision, but not as popular. Have you tried Freepik?

Do you do video stock as well, or just images?

That's not but for print of demand, and how many sales you generate weekly, if you don't mind me asking.
I havent tried Freepick but will look.
I have just signed up with Depositphotos.com and waiting on approval - not sure what they are like.
I do have some video but not selling any or intend to. Just have a YouTube Channel for fun Drone video.
Weekly would be good but its more like a hand full a year to date.
To be honest I am retired and its all a bit of fun, I am not trying to sell or earn anything its just nice when someone wants one of my images.
What Stock sites do you currently use and who would you rate best/easiest to work with?

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I havent tried Freepick but will look.
I have just signed up with Depositphotos.com and waiting on approval - not sure what they are like.
I do have some video but not selling any or intend to. Just have a YouTube Channel for fun Drone video.
Weekly would be good but its more like a hand full a year to date.
To be honest I am retired and its all a bit of fun, I am not trying to sell or earn anything its just nice when someone wants one of my images.
What Stock sites do you currently use and who would you rate best/easiest to work with?

Here are my list:

Adobe Stock - for images and videos (best pa, but the image approval takes months)

Freepik - only images ( low pay)

Depositphotos - images and videos ( not bad pay, easy to submit photos)

Dreamstime - images and videos ( hard selling, high commission)

Pond5 - videos mainly, but I upload images as well. Haven't sold anything ( hard to submit content)

Getty - videos and images (high compression, but very hard to submit your content)

Alamy - images only ( hard for submission) haven't sold anything.

123rf - images and videos ( some issues with their upload system) few sales, low commission.

Shutterstock - images and videos ( hard submission) and low commission

Videohive - only videos ( hard submission) haven't sold anything.

I'm considering building a portfolio on them print of demand websites too. Do you have lots of images there?

John Gilham

John Gilham

Jan 2, 2024
Edit my images
No
Here are my list:

Adobe Stock - for images and videos (best pa, but the image approval takes months)

Freepik - only images ( low pay)

Depositphotos - images and videos ( not bad pay, easy to submit photos)

Dreamstime - images and videos ( hard selling, high commission)

Pond5 - videos mainly, but I upload images as well. Haven't sold anything ( hard to submit content)

Getty - videos and images (high compression, but very hard to submit your content)

Alamy - images only ( hard for submission) haven't sold anything.

123rf - images and videos ( some issues with their upload system) few sales, low commission.

Shutterstock - images and videos ( hard submission) and low commission

Videohive - only videos ( hard submission) haven't sold anything.

I'm considering building a portfolio on them print of demand websites too. Do you have lots of images there?
About 400 on each site. These are links to my two Print on Demand sites
Fine Art America and Pixels are the same business https://john-gilham.pixels.com/
photo4me is a UK business https://www.photo4me.com/profile/30171/all/canvas-prints?sortby=popular&filterby=all&shape=all
I find the stock sites fairly easy to upload and relatively quick to approve apart from Alamy who is a little out of date when it comes to Key words as most of the others have suggested key words that help.
Have a look at Dreamsworld as thats fairy easy and very quick to approve it also pays three times what Shutterstock pays and I have had quite a few sales.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
About 400 on each site. These are links to my two Print on Demand sites
Fine Art America and Pixels are the same business https://john-gilham.pixels.com/
photo4me is a UK business https://www.photo4me.com/profile/30171/all/canvas-prints?sortby=popular&filterby=all&shape=all
I find the stock sites fairly easy to upload and relatively quick to approve apart from Alamy who is a little out of date when it comes to Key words as most of the others have suggested key words that help.
Have a look at Dreamsworld as thats fairy easy and very quick to approve it also pays three times what Shutterstock pays and I have had quite a few sales.

Have you ever heard about wirestock, or blackbox? You upload on there and they upload your content on rest stock sites, but they take a cut.

I've look on them print sites, and you have good images. Do you set the price or these are set automatically?

John Gilham

John Gilham

Jan 2, 2024
Edit my images
No
Have you ever heard about wirestock, or blackbox? You upload on there and they upload your content on rest stock sites, but they take a cut.

I've look on them print sites, and you have good images. Do you set the price or these are set automatically?
I make so little from stock sites giving some of that to a middle agent is not going to happen for me

Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I make so little from stock sites giving some of that to a middle agent is not going to happen for me

Well, I won't recommend them either. I have tried wirestock, and while they take a cut, they also have a limit on photos. And if you want to upload more images, you have to pay 🤣. So basically you don't make money, they do. I have deleted my account straight away.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Quick one on this John Gilham John Gilham

Which one you'd recommend photo4me or fine art America. Registered on both and want to try them.

John Gilham

John Gilham

Jan 2, 2024
Edit my images
No
More sales? Started yesterday to upload my images. Seems easier.
Let me know your portfolio when its up and running and I will follow you. May take a few days to get your first uploads approved and after that its instant.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Let me know your portfolio when its up and running and I will follow you. May take a few days to get your first uploads approved and after that its instant.

I already have uploaded around 600 images 😅. And still have loads.

I've noticed that the fine art America everything needs be written manually, which is a bit of work. Not sure if it's worth the time investing.

John Gilham

John Gilham

Jan 2, 2024
Edit my images
No
I already have uploaded around 600 images 😅. And still have loads.

I've noticed that the fine art America everything needs be written manually, which is a bit of work. Not sure if it's worth the time investing.
Wow, 600 so you are approved. What is your name on the site?

Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Wow, 600 so you are approved. What is your name on the site?

Let me check how I can get the link to my profile. I still have loads to upload.

W

Whamhand

Jan 19, 2024
Edit my images
No
We can talk on here about stock photography. So we don't spam threads withs off topic discussions.
John Gilham John Gilham
Does anyone really make any significant money from stock sites. If so, what images sell and what sites work best?

Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Does anyone really make any significant money from stock sites. If so, what images sell and what sites work best?

There aren't big money on it. Check the post above what sites I'm using. I have invested in GoPro 12 to shoot videos. As these pay more money.

Are you planning to do stock as well?