Opinion wanted The Rock

• Thread starter panos_adgr
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
Camera type
DSLR camera
Camera sensor
Full-frame
EXIF
Nikon D610
Nikkor AF-S 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR
@24mm
Vibration Reduction OFF (Very important)
ND Filter HOYA PRO ND1000 (10 stop)
9 long exposures each one as below with self timer adjusted at 2'' after press of shutter button, with 9 sequential shots with 0.5'' interval between them. ( Important because you never touch the camera after first press)
ETTR Technique (Expose To The Right of the Histogram for sensor/light saturation and low signal to noise ratio)
+1.7EV Exposure Compensation
s 25''
f/7.1
iso 400 (because it was a bit dark for 10stop ND but too bright without 10 stop ND. If I had a 6stop ND it would be fine because I would be able to set iso 100 with 25-30''. But because of stacking noise is canceled and it works fine until iso 400-640 and even more)
The Rock

This is an image captured on my favorite park near my home.
It is a long exposure shot made out of 9 stacked exposures.
Morexp57 Morexp57 It is another example of the same technique.

The Rock.JPG

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
And below is one of the 9 exposures I took just for reference.

As I've written before I shoot as flat/neutral as possible exposing to the Right to achieve the best possible sensor / light saturation. This allows me to have enough 'headroom' in my RAW files to retrieve Highlight and Shadows.

Int his case it was a scene of hight dynamic range with dark foreground and bright sky. So a good exposure is very importand.

DSC_9151.JPG

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
This is the histogram

Untitled.png

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Wonderful panos_adgr, thanks for sharing.
I usually use ETTR when doing landscapes for the same reasons as yourself, and checking the histogram 'in camera' is very useful for this.
You did a lovely job on the final edit, it is warm and serene with great foreground detail.
Very nicely done.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
Wonderful panos_adgr, thanks for sharing.
I usually use ETTR when doing landscapes for the same reasons as yourself, and checking the histogram 'in camera' is very useful for this.
You did a lovely job on the final edit, it is warm and serene with great foreground detail.
Very nicely done.
Goodmorning my friend Andy Smith Andy Smith !

Thank you for your nice comment!
ETTR is a nice technique indeed.
Me too I always check the histogram on the back of my camera as well as the clipping highlight preview in order adjust exposure accordingly.

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Excellent technique panos_adgr panos_adgr ! I really like the result.
Well... it's 8am, time for me to hit the road to explore a new mountain region and hopefully bring back a decent photo or two!