Photo editing This is an old technique that manipulates - called MACKY LINES (not sure of Macky spelling ;) - )

• Thread starter lightmuncher
  • Start date
  • Watchers 3

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

This topic is opened to chat about photo editing softwares.
lightmuncher

lightmuncher

Dec 18, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
This is an image I took on a 5x4 negative back at the Reading College 1976. My friend and I walked around Reading with a huge 5x4 camera! I considered this technique would be better if it were an image of an industrial site. This was a gas site, that fed Reading's general populace. This manipulation is done whilst developing the negative. A 5x4 negative is developed separately which makes this technique the only way. Whilst some way into development, you do something that goes against the grain (don't you just love puns đź«Ł ). Near the end of the development you take the negative out of the developer and shine it to the light. This process has to be done quick enough to allow the technique to work. And that is how you get this technique to do its strange Macky lines around the railings and other parts of the industrial scene.
If interested I have a few other images to share and explain the details of its processes.
Macky lines Reading gas terminal 1976 5x4 negative.jpg

Last edited:
Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I like it. It gives sinister vibe to be honest.

Yes please, share it on a new thread. Would be interesting to read. I never experienced such techniques , only digital photography.

lightmuncher

lightmuncher

Dec 18, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I like it. It gives sinister vibe to be honest.

Yes please, share it on a new thread. Would be interesting to read. I never experienced such techniques , only digital photography.
I have a lot of my past in boxes, deep in a glory hole. And those I have left are only a few. I do have images though, that I created from slides; created with a system that was called Cibachrome. You inserted a slide into your enlarger, without any coloured filters. The CMYK filters were already in the layers of the paper. Just expose the Cibachrome, insert the A4 paper into a cylinder with the right chemicals and you had a coloured print at home. I used it for some while, but even then it was an expensive process. Here is some info if interested......
https://www.anatomyfilms.com/cibachrome-in-heaven/

O

oscar118

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I used to do something similar in the old B&W days. I would make succesive contact copies a negative a couple times on high-contrast film in the lab to increase contrast, and in the last step expose the film to white light at the end of the development. The result was only the borders were kept transparent, so something resembling a line drawing was produced. I think the technique is called "solarization"

lightmuncher

lightmuncher

Dec 18, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I used to do something similar in the old B&W days. I would make succesive contact copies a negative a couple times on high-contrast film in the lab to increase contrast, and in the last step expose the film to white light at the end of the development. The result was only the borders were kept transparent, so something resembling a line drawing was produced. I think the technique is called "solarization"
I guess you would call it solarisation, its just a name that the college use to call it. I have another technique that used high key film. We used it for making slides, for teaching and talks. I think it was called kodalith? Only good for B&W no tones. And the type had to be even to enable the difference of black and white. The only typewriter that would be good enough was from the golf-ball typewriter. It had an even blackness on the paper. The slides we made from this negatives, we would colour each one with different dyes. I think about it now and how labour-intensive this stuff was compared with today's technology! Geesh, this is dredging a lot of info I had forgotten! Will post the Kodalith images later, and how to get a three toned image from it.