Photo editing Time for editing images

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

This topic is opened to chat about photo editing softwares.
Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Quick question, how much time you spend or willing to spend editing on each picture you took?

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Quick question, how much time you spend or willing to spend editing on each picture you took?
I really like the editing work. So I'm willing to spend a lot of time on a photo. However, I've never measured the time spent 🙂 . I estimate this time between 2 and 5 minutes per shot which is very short.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I really like the editing work. So I'm willing to spend a lot of time on a photo. However, I've never measured the time spent 🙂 . I estimate this time between 2 and 5 minutes per shot which is very short.

Same here, I do like editing images, but it doesn’t take a lot to edit a photo, especially when doing it in Lightroom.

What software you using for editing ?

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I have never timed it but not very long.

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Same here, I do like editing images, but it doesn’t take a lot to edit a photo, especially when doing it in Lightroom.

What software you using for editing ?
I was using Lightroom a few years ago, but as I didn't want to pay a subscription fee, I switched to DXO Photolab after seeing a video showing the great denoising results.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I was using Lightroom a few years ago, but as I didn't want to pay a subscription fee, I switched to DXO Photolab after seeing a video showing the great denoising results.
I tried it but i could not figure out what i had to do to edit my photos.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
There are plenty of videos with tutorials. The program is very similar to Lightroom.
To be honest, i don't understand much of lightroom either. My editing skills are still very limited. 99% of the time it is clicking the auto buttons. I tried learning but for some reason i just don't get it.

C

Chavezshutter

Feb 4, 2022
Sometimes months for a first attempt at something difficult but mostly I can do a decent edit in under 10 minutes. The intended audience also matters as to how perfect I want my image to be. I sometimes redo an edit simply because I know better ways to get the look I was trying to do, but it all depends on how much I like the shot originally and what I am trying to do, somethings are a quick snap, hit with a decent preset and tweak and done, others take many attempts and different editing approaches.

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
To be honest, i don't understand much of lightroom either. My editing skills are still very limited. 99% of the time it is clicking the auto buttons. I tried learning but for some reason i just don't get it.
Do you like working with a computer?
If you don't like it, it could explain the learning difficulties.
On the other hand, it pushes you to get the best possible results when taking the shot. You need all the parameters (framing and exposure, especially) to be perfect so that you don't need to retouch the photo. This is also an advantage. I had a co-worker for whom it was important to have a perfect photo without any retouching. That's good too.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Do you like working with a computer?
If you don't like it, it could explain the learning difficulties.
On the other hand, it pushes you to get the best possible results when taking the shot. You need all the parameters (framing and exposure, especially) to be perfect so that you don't need to retouch the photo. This is also an advantage. I had a co-worker for whom it was important to have a perfect photo without any retouching. That's good too.
I used to be an IT professional during the time i worked. So guess that said, yes i like working with computers. I tried dxo before but even with the tutorials i didn't figure out how things worked. It came close to me even giving up on photography completely. Lucky i switched to adobe lightroom and photoshop. Not that i do understand all of them but for me it worked a bit better. Still doing very basic editing but seems to work out not too bad.

I downloaded the free trail version of dxo photolab and wil give it another go during the next month

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Sometimes months for a first attempt at something difficult but mostly I can do a decent edit in under 10 minutes. The intended audience also matters as to how perfect I want my image to be. I sometimes redo an edit simply because I know better ways to get the look I was trying to do, but it all depends on how much I like the shot originally and what I am trying to do, somethings are a quick snap, hit with a decent preset and tweak and done, others take many attempts and different editing approaches.

Are you using same software when retouching or editing your photos? And what exactly are you editing when you take longer ? I usually edit all my images in Lightroom, not much Photoshop.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
I like the topics you create Jack!

Very nice question.
Post processing is the other half of my work. I have never valued the time I spent for pp. It is something that I do with infinite joy and devotion.
I would say for myself that photography has to sessions for me. The first session is on location and the second session is the post processing.
I like to do my post processing as near as possible in the timeframe I took the photos. The reason is because I try to keep in my memory the 'light' mood and situation of the location as well as the mood of the given time of the photo captured. In this way I can 'transfer' or recreate in the best way the mix of personal perception and perspective of my views together with the emotional elements I have / had at the time I pressed the shutter.

Then the post processing is done with concentration and always with good music!
And time stops....

J

JenP

Mar 19, 2022
Edit my images
No
For me, it depends on what the subject matter is. If it's portraits, I like to produce Fine Edit Art. Doesn't always work out how I envisioned. But with landscape I simply like clean edits with maybe a slight orig color enhancement

C

Chavezshutter

Feb 4, 2022
Are you using same software when retouching or editing your photos? And what exactly are you editing when you take longer ? I usually edit all my images in Lightroom, not much Photoshop.
I edit mostly in Lightroom but I also do a lot of composites and other Photoshop techniques. When I take longer its mostly dealing with alignment issues with multiple photos in a composite or cleaning up details like halos and other side effects of dealing with mutliple images. Something like star trails with light painting took many attempts and months to edit the first time around but now I can do it much faster.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I edit mostly in Lightroom but I also do a lot of composites and other Photoshop techniques. When I take longer its mostly dealing with alignment issues with multiple photos in a composite or cleaning up details like halos and other side effects of dealing with mutliple images. Something like star trails with light painting took many attempts and months to edit the first time around but now I can do it much faster.

I usually use Photoshop to create logos or other media things, sometimes I’m using it same for cleaning the picture. But only sometimes , as I’m lazy :D

J

JenP

Mar 19, 2022
Edit my images
No
I learned on Photoshop before LR came out. I can use both, I'm not the biggest LR fan, but I think it's just because I'm more familiar with PS and I can do everything from there and not switch back and forth between 2 programs it's just a preference, I think LR is good too

O

oscar118

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
It depends on the type of images. For landscapes I usually do some minor crop or contrast adjustment, very often I use the JPG directly (I tend to shoot landscapes in raw and jpg).
Astro takes more time.
And macro, if I need to stack, a lot more.
I like "reviewing" images taken some time ago, when I was not using editing programs, and doing some enhancement. It is like "travelling again" to those places.

René Rufer

René Rufer

Feb 16, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I was using Lightroom until the end of 2021, but as I didn't want to pay a subscription fee, I switched to Capture one.
I needed max 2-5 minutes to editing a good picture. Not much has changed with Capture one. the possibilities are greater but I limit myself to the minimum: cut, clarity and exposure.
Capture one is much faster when looking through and evaluating the pictures.
When I make macros, I use Helicon Focus to put stacks together. but then it can takes a little longer time!

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I learned on Photoshop before LR came out. I can use both, I'm not the biggest LR fan, but I think it's just because I'm more familiar with PS and I can do everything from there and not switch back and forth between 2 programs it's just a preference, I think LR is good too

Both softwares are good, as long as you know how to work in both :)