Photography Would you call photography an art?

• Thread starter Jack
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

General photography discussion.

Do you consider photography an art?

• Yes

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I believe an other interesting topic to talk.

Would you consider photography an art nowadays? Taking in consideration that taking Nice images doesn't require huge training or knowledge, and could be easy and fast to achieve a beautiful photo.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No

Would you consider photography an art nowadays? Taking in consideration that taking Nice images doesn't require huge training or knowledge, and could be easy and fast to achieve a beautiful photo.
Photography is definitely art in my opinion. You don't need to have training or in depth knowledge to be an artist, because your art is unique and grows with your experience over time. Wether people appreciate your art is another question though. :)

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Photography is definitely art in my opinion. You don't need to have training or in depth knowledge to be an artist, because your art is unique and grows with your experience over time. Wether people appreciate your art is another question though. :)

Spot on, but taking in consideration that photography is very accessible to everyone, and everyone can snap some pictures, would you make a difference?

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Spot on, but taking in consideration that photography is very accessible to everyone, and everyone can snap some pictures, would you make a difference?
Not really Jack no I wouldn't make a difference.
Dance is art, graffiti is art, flower arranging is art, so just because a lot of people now have cameras on phones and merrily snap away, it is still art because art is all about expressing yourself, which is what folk are doing.
Although I am not a big fan of most of what I see, hehe, it is still art.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Not really Jack no I wouldn't make a difference.
Dance is art, graffiti is art, flower arranging is art, so just because a lot of people now have cameras on phones and merrily snap away, it is still art because art is all about expressing yourself, which is what folk are doing.
Although I am not a big fan of most of what I see, hehe, it is still art.

Agree with you here, everything you mention above is art. I believe everything which is created by human passion you can call art.

But yes, most people are just snapping images without any effort or very little effort. I would also say depends how much effort you put into the work so you can call that an art. What do you think about it?

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Agree with you here, everything you mention above is art. I believe everything which is created by human passion you can call art.

But yes, most people are just snapping images without any effort or very little effort. I would also say depends how much effort you put into the work so you can call that an art. What do you think about it?
I agree, a lot of people just take phone snaps to show their family and/or friends, without putting any thought into the image, composition or anything else.
I still call it art but only in the sense that they are actively capturing an image. However, I do believe the more successful artists put time and effort into their craft, trying to improve all the time, learning new skills, and trying new styles.
Good artists (including photographers) will actively evaluate the feelings they want to convey in an image or a dance, and then try to get that emotion into their work.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I agree, a lot of people just take phone snaps to show their family and/or friends, without putting any thought into the image, composition or anything else.
I still call it art but only in the sense that they are actively capturing an image. However, I do believe the more successful artists put time and effort into their craft, trying to improve all the time, learning new skills, and trying new styles.
Good artists (including photographers) will actively evaluate the feelings they want to convey in an image or a dance, and then try to get that emotion into their work.

You right, but there’s big difference between phone photography and real camera photography. These images which are taken with camera are kind of more an art than these images taken with a phone. But also, as you said, depending how much effort and time the person is willing to invest in that picture.

GeoffM Photography

GeoffM Photography

Jun 11, 2022
Edit my images
Yes

Photography in the past has been my profession (lecturer not commercial) as well as a passion. I am mindful of posting here images that have 'art' merit, but where's the line? Beauty, obviously, but not all art is beautiful. Is it enough to say, 'that's a lovely shot' or should we look for aspects too? Is this an unanswerable question?

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Photography in the past has been my profession (lecturer not commercial) as well as a passion. I am mindful of posting here images that have 'art' merit, but where's the line? Beauty, obviously, but not all art is beautiful. Is it enough to say, 'that's a lovely shot' or should we look for aspects too? Is this an unanswerable question?

People tend to see the art differently, for everyone art can mean what they want to see or what they can define. As you said not all art is beautiful, same with images, not everyone will put effort to create a photo. But nowadays is very easy to achieve stunning results with various editing softwares, high end cameras and expensive lenses. The photographer don’t even need to put a lot of effort into photography.

Tez Bromley

Tez Bromley

Jun 14, 2022
Edit my images
No

Interesting question, my partner Michelle believes photography should be a true representation of what the eye sees, myself I think photography gives you an opportunity to be creative and to create a piece of art. I agree anyone can take a great photo however using a creative though process can produce breathtaking pieces of art.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
my partner Michelle believes photography should be a true representation of what the eye sees

I would say that this is more for painting art than photography.

myself I think photography gives you an opportunity to be creative and to create a piece of art.
You right, but also depending on the person how much effort is willing to put into photography.

And everyone might have their own view and definition of art, example if I will draw on the wall with bananas, and I like it, I can call it a piece of art, you might call it stupidity.

Tez Bromley

Tez Bromley

Jun 14, 2022
Edit my images
No
Photography is so very subjective but I stand by the fact to be a photographer of any level you require some form of creativity. Even just framing a shot up requires creative freedom, we don't just point and shoot hoping for the best or at least 99% of people don't

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Interesting question, my partner Michelle believes photography should be a true representation of what the eye sees, myself I think photography gives you an opportunity to be creative and to create a piece of art. I agree anyone can take a great photo however using a creative though process can produce breathtaking pieces of art.
I agree with your partner and you!
Photography can be an exact representation of reality but the photographer can also let his imagination and style run wild, which can be very far from reality. As far as I am concerned, I try to show what I find beautiful in the world around me.