Gear advice zoom or prime lens

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

A discussion about gear such camera, lenses, tripods, and other equipments.
Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
To me it does not look that good at all. The sharpness in the middle is good, but if you compare the left side to the right side there is a huge difference in sharpness at f/4 and f/5.6 The right side looks good but left is just terrible. It does get better at f/8. I will have to take some photos outside to see if it is better in real life.
I would probably say that you will see better difference when you'll take some images outside.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Was planning on doing some proper test today but my body decided otherwise. So just a quick simple real life shot. One at f/4 and one at f/8
F/4
A7R08294:f4.jpg

F/8
A7R08292:f8.jpg

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Most wide angle zoom lenses will be soft in the corners compared to the centre of the image when used wide open, this can be amplified also depending on the light, atmosphere, smog, heat haze etc. For an f/4 lens you will probably find the optimum sharpness to be around f/8 maybe even f/11 depending on all factors involved.
To be honest though I wouldn't worry about it because unless you are shooting in very low light you will probably never use f/4 with a wide angle lens, as most shots will be probably using f/8 or smaller.
My suggestion is to find the sharpest aperture for the lens, and then use that as your guideline for future images.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
The center of the lens is sharp at any aperture, it is only the corners and then specifically the left corner that is lagging behind at f/4 or f/5, from f/8 on the corners get better. I will do some more testing to see what aperture gives the best result. Also need to learn proper landscape and architecture photography. The time of quick snapshots is over, need to start thinking about the composition of a shot before taking the shot.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
After trying out the lens for about a week handheld and on a tripod i did send it back today. It was not what i was expecting of the lens. Maybe i am expecting too much or the lens was subpar and did not deliver. It should be arriving back at the shop tomorrow between 8.15 and 10.45 am. Then it will take a few days before i get my money back. I also tested the same lens from my neighbour and his one was what i expect from the lens, sharp at every focal length and from f/4 to f/16.

Not sure if i will buy a new Sony 16-35, will have to think about that. At the moment reading up on architectural photography and landscape photography. Also comparing photo printers, want to buy one that can print A3+

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I don't know why, but I was expecting this post. If I had a business, I wouldn't want you as a customer.
It seems to me that you have returned all the items you have ordered up to now. Of course, it's none of my business, you do what you want and I hope these few words don't offend you.
I'm glad I'm not as demanding as you are. Given the state of our world, demanding perfection must be very painful.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I don't know why, but I was expecting this post. If I had a business, I wouldn't want you as a customer.
It seems to me that you have returned all the items you have ordered up to now. Of course, it's none of my business, you do what you want and I hope these few words don't offend you.
I'm glad I'm not as demanding as you are. Given the state of our world, demanding perfection must be very painful.
I haven't returned all the items i bought otherwise i would not have 7 lenses, 2 cameras, 2 tripods (regular and mini) and 1 flash lying around here. I don't know if demanding perfection is painful, can't be more painful than the real pain i experience 24 hours a day and 365 days a year.

I always buy used, so if i do send something back because it is not what i was expecting it to be then it still is a used item and can be sold as that again. If i would buy new then i create a problem for the shop because they can not sell that item as new anymore and will loose money on it. That is one of the 2 reasons i buy used, the other one is that i simply can not afford new cameras and lenses, unfortunately my bankaccount is not as filled as that of a lot of people. Maybe i am being a perfectionist, maybe not. But it does not make a huge difference in my photos, even with being a perfectionist most of them turn out as complete crap. But at least taking photos makes me forget my pain for a couple of seconds/minutes and for me that is the most important. How much pain do i have? well on a scale from 1-10 (10 highest) i am at a constant 8.

Don't worry, i have been abused and called all kinds of bad things over the past 50 years just because of the way i look that it is absolutely impossible for anyone to offend me anymore.

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Yes, I understand that you don't return all the items you order. I was just basing it on the ones you mentioned here. I just thought it was funny that of all the items you mentioned here, it seems to me that you didn't keep any of them.
Anyway, like I said, it's none of my business and I'm sorry you're in pain all the time.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Yes, I understand that you don't return all the items you order. I was just basing it on the ones you mentioned here. I just thought it was funny that of all the items you mentioned here, it seems to me that you didn't keep any of them.
Anyway, like I said, it's none of my business and I'm sorry you're in pain all the time.
you don't need to be sorry. i don't know what it is to live without pain, for me this is normal.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
I thing TMG1961 TMG1961 you did well. In the last photos the left side is indeed more blurry and this obviously had to do with proper lens element calibration.
It might have been misused of fallen which might cause the effect of de calibration.

When we deal with optics calibration is critical, regardless of the cost. Corners might perform poor in budget pr moderate priced lenses, in wide apertures, but proper calibration has no cost. This why these kind of issues are called deficiencies. (lens defect).

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
After i send the previous Sony 16-35 f/4 back i agreed to get a replacement. Was in the same as new condition as the previous one. I received the lens and tested it, took shots at all apertures and all focal length, all kinds of photos from several distances. But the replacement i got was even worse then the one i did send back earlier. Even at f/8 it was very soft in the corners with a difference between the sides. So i did send that one back as well. I know some of you might have a problem with that.

I have decided to give up on wide angle lenses, seems i have no luck with them and keep getting bad ones. At the moment this all has taken the joy out of shooting photos a bit.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
After i send the previous Sony 16-35 f/4 back i agreed to get a replacement. Was in the same as new condition as the previous one. I received the lens and tested it, took shots at all apertures and all focal length, all kinds of photos from several distances. But the replacement i got was even worse then the one i did send back earlier. Even at f/8 it was very soft in the corners with a difference between the sides. So i did send that one back as well. I know some of you might have a problem with that.

I have decided to give up on wide angle lenses, seems i have no luck with them and keep getting bad ones. At the moment this all has taken the joy out of shooting photos a bit.
Sorry to hear that Theo, not a good experience for you, but better you send things back than keep a lens you are unhappy with.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Sorry to hear that Theo, not a good experience for you, but better you send things back than keep a lens you are unhappy with.
i am giving up on Sony 16-35 lenses. Bought 2 and both not good enough and the second one being even worse than the first one. For now i am going to use my d7100 +Tokina AT-X 12-24mm f/4 Pro DX II for architecture photography when i am going to get back into it. At the moment i am going to take a short break from it all.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
After some thinking and reading i decided to go down the prime lens road. Did not want to start with an expensive lens. It was between 18 and 20mm focal length. there were a few lenses in the running but i decided to give the Samyang 18mm f/2.8 a go and got one for €279 in a as good as new condition.

Did a very quick test, did not have much time, was running a bit late so just 2 quick shots to see how it performs.
The first photo is a comparison with the Sony 24-70 f/4, the second one is 18mm and f/2.8 and the last one is 18mm and f/8

I think the lens is a good one. What do you think? Is it a good copy?

WhatsApp Image 2023-04-04 at 17.10.41.jpeg

f:28.jpg

f:8.jpg
I

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Looks smaller, lighter and sharper Theo, If you are happy with the lens then I am sure you will get many hours of enjoyment out of it. Plus as it is smaller and lighter, then it should be easier to carry around.
Happy for you.