Photo editing Editing with graphic tablets - do you use one?

• Thread starter lightmuncher
  • Start date
  • Watchers 5

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

This topic is opened to chat about photo editing softwares.
lightmuncher

lightmuncher

Dec 18, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I use a graphics tablet all the time. It is damn awkward doing work without one! I bought a simple one from Amazon last year, which was an XP-PEN. Its large and simple, and not expensive, only £50, and comes with a number of replacement nibs. It is basic and doesn't have a pressure sensor in the pen and tablet. Would be nice, but it does the job. With all the hours I spend on the computer, this tool is invaluable; not only for working my other reality, but for all my images on Lightroom and Photoshop. It has a large surface and a few tweaks up its sleeve, but I never use those tweaks, as they seem to not work with the tools I use all the time.
If you don't have one, it really is a great tool to have and doesn't need to be expensive.
th

My dream is to have an independent one so as I can take it anywhere and use. But they cost too much.
If you use one, which do you use?

Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I believe these are good. But how can you transfer data from camera to the tablet? Also these must be really expensive as well just for 1 job.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
I use an XP-Pen G640 which is 7.5 inches x 6.5 inches only, and fits nice in my travel bag when I am on a journey somewhere. It is pressure sensitive but very simple without any added buttons or anything.
I did recently look at the Xencelabs medium tablet, which I like because it has a separate key pad which can be used for photoshop instead of having to go to my keyboard for shortcut commands. However, I talked myself out of it because it will accomplish nothing additional to the one I already use., and better I save the money towards a new camera lens instead.

lightmuncher

lightmuncher

Dec 18, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I believe these are good. But how can you transfer data from camera to the tablet? Also these must be really expensive as well just for 1 job.
I hope I am reading your reply correctly? You don't transfer anything, the tablet is instead of using a mouse. You can work in finer pixels and in more detail, rather than struggling to use a mouse. Just attach it to your laptop or computer, install drivers, and you're able to work from that tablet whilst seeing what you do on your screen. The more expensive ones you can use like an artist screen. They are mega bucks! The link I gave to my other realities in Flickr, if you watch both vids I am working totally from the tablet's pen whilst watching the screen. There is NO way of working that fine with a normal mouse! And that goes for any editing of my images, for example removing power lines, so much easier.

Last edited:
Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
I hope I am reading your reply correctly? You don't transfer anything, they are instead of using a mouse. You can work in finer pixels and in more detail, than struggling to use a mouse. Just attach it to your laptop or computer, install drivers, and you're able to work from that tablet whilst seeing what you do on your screen. The more expensive ones you can use like an artist screen. They are mega bucks! The link I gave to my other realities in Flickr, if you watch both vids I am working totally from the tablet's pen whilst watching the screen. There is NO way of working that fine with a normal mouse! And that goes for any editing of my images, for example removing power lines, so much easier.
Similar to what lightmuncher says, I use mine in conjunction with my mouse and it provides me with more accurate control over certain elements like dodging and burning due to using a pen rather than a mouse which can be cumbersome for finer things. The pen is more natural to hold and with the pressure sensitivity it is a lot easier to make those fine adjustments, smoother brush strokes and not be heavy handed.
The editing is still done on the computer screen as usual, and the tablet becomes just an extension of the keyboard and mouse.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I hope I am reading your reply correctly? You don't transfer anything, the tablet is instead of using a mouse. You can work in finer pixels and in more detail, rather than struggling to use a mouse. Just attach it to your laptop or computer, install drivers, and you're able to work from that tablet whilst seeing what you do on your screen. The more expensive ones you can use like an artist screen. They are mega bucks! The link I gave to my other realities in Flickr, if you watch both vids I am working totally from the tablet's pen whilst watching the screen. There is NO way of working that fine with a normal mouse! And that goes for any editing of my images, for example removing power lines, so much easier.
Alright, now I understood. I thought you will edit images on tablet, which I was thinking how you'd transfer those files.

That's good gadget to have if you are a graphic designer I would say. Probably it's easier to work in photoshop too, if you do massive editing.

M

markmullen

Mar 14, 2023
Edit my images
No
I'm thinking of getting an Intuos Pro for editing, I've not used one much before but it looks a good concept. That and a loupedeck to have proper hardware dials and sliders for raw adjustments.

lightmuncher

lightmuncher

Dec 18, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I'm thinking of getting an Intuos Pro for editing, I've not used one much before but it looks a good concept. That and a loupedeck to have proper hardware dials and sliders for raw adjustments.
Expensive stuff. Let us know if you get one.

lightmuncher

lightmuncher

Dec 18, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Alright, now I understood. I thought you will edit images on tablet, which I was thinking how you'd transfer those files.

That's good gadget to have if you are a graphic designer I would say. Probably it's easier to work in photoshop too, if you do massive editing.
Even if you do only the odd image now and again, it's worth having it for those finer details. And it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg, either.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Even if you do only the odd image now and again, it's worth having it for those finer details. And it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg, either.

I will check how much it cost, maybe worth having it. I saw only few people having such tool, but then they probably making a living from it.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
I will check how much it cost, maybe worth having it. I saw only few people having such tool, but then they probably making a living from it.
My XP Pen G640 was around 20 quid, and it does all I need. I think most serious photographers use a tablet because of the benefits when editing.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
My XP Pen G640 was around 20 quid, and it does all I need. I think most serious photographers use a tablet because of the benefits when editing.
For £20 I can easily buy one. :D . The tablet probably is more expensive.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
I use a wacom tablet. I bought it because I do a lot of local processing with brushes and it helped me a lot.

lightmuncher

lightmuncher

Dec 18, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I use a wacom tablet. I bought it because I do a lot of local processing with brushes and it helped me a lot.
I agree, using layers with brushes and other factors can't be achieved with a mouse. A tablet ups your game when it comes to touching up any image. Just buy one Jack it really will be a bonus for you.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I am using a mouse. Never thought about using a tablet with the computer. But if i would then it would need to be able to connect through bluetooth, already have too many wires on desktop.

lightmuncher

lightmuncher

Dec 18, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I am using a mouse. Never thought about using a tablet with the computer. But if i would then it would need to be able to connect through bluetooth, already have too many wires on desktop.
There are wireless tablets out there. Graphic tablets are a great way to do finer work. I can't do without mine as I use it most days.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
There are wireless tablets out there. Graphic tablets are a great way to do finer work. I can't do without mine as I use it most days.
For the time being i will stick to using my mouse. First need to find motivation again for shooting photos.