Help choosing Nd filters

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Hello. I’m planning to get some ND filters to take some long exposure pictures during the day, the question is, I’m not sure which one to buy. Some of them are to expensive , some have bad reviews. Any advice please ?

Solution
Andy Smith
Thanks, how expensive they are ?
Hi Jack,
they range from around £200 to £400, depending on the size. You can also get additional step up/down rings for around £18 depending on the lenses you have.
The 82mm pro kit is £310 but you may want to upsize to the 95mm to ensure no vignetting occurs, and they have entry level kits which are £235 for 82mm.
More details can be found here:
Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I don't know anything about filters, but I've often seen filter holders and square ND filters in the few vlogs I look at from time to time. Doesn't this solve the problem of different lens diameters?

I've these square filters, but i don't really like them for some reason. 😅

Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
You could argue this about NDs, there is already graduated filters in Lightroom and other editing software. Luminosity masks get even closer but what you can't do with post processing (at least not easily and not convincingly in my opinion) is simulate all the effects of a long shutter. As for CPLs , the effects they create are even harder to reproduce in post. While in theory the main thing they affect is in cutting down glare, in reality they do a lot more things, one which was mentioned by Oscar118 is saturation increase due to the cutdown glare but they can also reduce haze which is a common issue in long distance landscapes. Personally I know more landscape photographers that use CPLs then NDs, some consider it THAT important. I play with ND's more myself but CPLs are very useful in the right setting, I specially like them for waterfalls, where wet rocks can get too shiny. Car photographers also use CPLs to control strong glare and shine and enhance the car's paint colours. Too many uses...

Only if the reason why you cannot see through the water is glare from reflected light which is very common, if the water is muddy or murky it wont have any effect except remove any existing glare. There already has to be some clarity to the water before.

Found this article which has some good information, check out the image and move the slider to see a CPL in action in a landscape shot.

Thanks, that's useful information. So I have received this filter when purchased my lens last year.

But seems to be useless, for me is just a piece of glass.

Attachments

• 16458905919737637903131529709246.jpg
    16458905919737637903131529709246.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
Thanks, that's useful information. So I have received this filter when purchased my lens last year.

Well UV filters can be quite helpful during summer and in very bright sunny days when weather is hazy. They reduce slightly the haze. But most of the times it will better serve as lens protection.

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I've these square filters, but i don't really like them for some reason. 😅
Could you elaborate a bit on the reasons why you don't like this system?
I know they are quite expensive, maybe that's one of the reasons...
Is my understanding that it is possible to use this system with different lens diameters correct?

C

Chavezshutter

Feb 4, 2022
I don't know anything about filters, but I've often seen filter holders and square ND filters in the few vlogs I look at from time to time. Doesn't this solve the problem of different lens diameters?
I use a square type filter, my kit is the 75mm Nisi kit, this allows me to place a filter on any lens up to 75mm (most of my lenses sit around the 67mm thread size) but If I want to place a filter on anything bigger I would need to purchase a larger kit. The price of course goes up quickly the larger the filters. Nisi has filters going all the way up to 180mm, but at this size each filter sells at $599 AUD (433 USD, 384 Euros) which is very expensive, the largest filters were never going to be cheap. The smarter option for square filter i think is to cover most lenses with a kit and anything that the kit cannot cover I can use regular threaded filters on.
I purchased a hoya filter, but is not an ND filter. I think is Polar, need to check 🤔.

Unfortunately I already ordered the ND filter from the link above which was recommended.

When I checked online which filter is providing better quality, I had headache, as there are so many, that is hard to decide.
Hoya is good brand, they have been around a long time and make good gear so you should be good here. ND and CPL are the 2 filters you want so doesn't matter if you get one or the other but they are both very different in what they do. If you are looking to get into long exposure then NDs is the right choice. CPLs are mostly for glare, I wouldnt worry about CPLs too much for now. You're going to have fun with an ND, when you start to use them it opens up a lot possibilities and techniques. Good luck with it and lets us know how you go 😀

C

Chavezshutter

Feb 4, 2022

That filter you showed is a UV filter, for me that is just protection glass to hopefully save your lens in case of an accident. The amount of UV they filter ranges from none to pretty good ( I test some with my UV flashlights to see how much UV passes through 😁 ) but even when they are good its a mute point becasue the real UV filtering all happens within the camera's inbuilt filters. That's why i say they are protection glass, their main function is to simply try to protect your lens, the UV part for me is really is not relevant.

Last edited:
Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes

It serves at least to protect the lens. When I bought my first SLR, the salesman advised me to add a filter of this type. I think it's a good idea and this type of filter is not expensive.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Could you elaborate a bit on the reasons why you don't like this system?
I know they are quite expensive, maybe that's one of the reasons...
Is my understanding that it is possible to use this system with different lens diameters correct?

I just don't like the design of them. 🤔

Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
But yes, happy to say that I've received my filter today

image.jpg