• Thread starter lightmuncher
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

Opened Game 

Old silver images?

For those of you who have had the feel of developer and fixer between your fingers in a darkroom; or those who have just taken a silver B&W, I thought it would be fun showing those past images that have collected dust from the past. If you work in a darkroom now, still would love to see your work.
This was taken back in November 1976 on a walk between Looe and Seaton. Shot with 120mm B&W film on a Mamiya C330f twin lens reflex. Girlfriend and I were worried as this was a walk on the way back from Looe and the sun was setting quickly. At night, without moon shine, we were worried about getting across the cliffs in the dark. Took several pics along the way; still have the negatives, but not any of the images printed, just this one. I did an oil painting of this back in 1976 as well. No idea where that is now?
Can't find other old silver B&W's at the moment, only some that I took from when I was in college and one taken in the hospital dentist at work. Must see where they are?
Stories are always part of an image, no matter how small that story is. I had my darkroom in my parent's loft, which is where I did this image.

Seaton - Looe cliff walk 1976.jpg

Reactions: Andy Smith and Jack
Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Thanks for sharing this lightmuncher lightmuncher . I will move this thread to a Photo Game, so everyone can Share B&W images.

lightmuncher

lightmuncher

Dec 18, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I actually found some old images! Its not until you start assessing these old silver images do you see how clean a digital image is! I remember going to a David Bailey photographic display in Oxford back in the 70's and he was using high grained images. Which many thought of as not good photography. Nowadays, anything goes, which is a better way of being able to express what you want to convey in an image. I had to take pics for the exam and one of the images had to be of people working. I asked the orthodontist if he wouldn't mind if I take pics of him examining a patient. Which was a student nurse, who later chided me for doing it. I had to show her the image, and said we couldn't see her face. This was at the old Nuffield Orthopaedic hospital back in the 70's. They have no use for medical photographers these days sadly, which of course is of no surprise.

Mr Savage Orthodontist Nuffield orthopeadic hospital.jpg

lightmuncher

lightmuncher

Dec 18, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I hope to keep these going. I am sure some of you have used ye oldee darkrooms? Maybe you have one and use it?

Brill Windmill, on the Buckinghamshire/Oxfordshire border.

This image was taken with my very first SLR, a 35mm Zenit camera. I believe it was Russian? The only lens I had was a 50mm. It's amazing what you can shoot with one lens! This needed some restoration, not to sure if what I have done makes it look too unreal now? I had used the original definition of contrasts to the edges. Creating new gray sections within speckled silver isn't as easy as you would think. I did run it through Topaz A.I. which helped on the first part of the repair. The negative looks worse for wear now, as it's been kicking around in a tin for nearly 50 years now, so couldn't work with that, sadly. Although I am thinking of getting a negative scanner for B&W and colour, as I would love to resurrect images from the past, especially of my daughter who died in 2002. As it would not only resurrect past image, it would resurrect memories. Maybe not all images, as ex-wife isn't one of them! šŸ¤Æ šŸ˜±

Brill Windmill 1975.jpg