Photography Photography, any ambitions or just a hobby?

• Thread starter panos_adgr
  • Start date
  • Watchers 8

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

General photography discussion.
TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Dear TMG1961 TMG1961
Nobody is born good in something. We all become good through time. There is no need to be so strict to yourself. Photography is something that you like it and this is why you do it. Even the greatest photographers fail very often to take good photos due to many occasions or reasons but this doesn't stop them. To do some really nice photos you must first do some bad and through this you will improve yourself. Never let down. Just pick your camera and take photos.

There are times when I go somewhere believing that I will to a great photoshoot and it turns out to be a complete fail. But you know something?
The time I spent with my camera out in the fields or in the city or wherever I may be is the most beautiful thing! Just doing what I love.
So don't thong about these. Just enjoy photography.

i can't help it being very strict with myself. As i said i do enjoy taking photos and it keeps my mind of the 24 hour a day pain i have. I know that nobody is being born as a great photographer, most of us will have to work hard to get to that. My biggest problem is composition and seeing good photos in things. That is something i am working on, not easy as i don't have an eye for these things.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
i can't help it being very strict with myself. As i said i do enjoy taking photos and it keeps my mind of the 24 hour a day pain i have. I know that nobody is being born as a great photographer, most of us will have to work hard to get to that. My biggest problem is composition and seeing good photos in things. That is something i am working on, not easy as i don't have an eye for these things.

Well composition and 'seeing a phot' was also my greatest struggle. As with every photographer also. But it something that 'comes' by practising photography. You never 'see it' coming. One day you will go out and you will start making better and better photos. Composition has to do with many things.
First of all is building your photographic perception by looking through the lens and learning to seeing things through the lens. Then you will start using the geometry of the frame with the geometry of what you see. Then you will start to have a better perception and integrations of forms, shadows, light variances and how they integrate then you will start asking yourself what you like most etc.

It is a beautiful trip.
Just take your camera and enjoy it. šŸ˜‰šŸ˜Š

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Well composition and 'seeing a phot' was also my greatest struggle. As with every photographer also. But it something that 'comes' by practising photography. You never 'see it' coming. One day you will go out and you will start making better and better photos. Composition has to do with many things.
First of all is building your photographic perception by looking through the lens and learning to seeing things through the lens. Then you will start using the geometry of the frame with the geometry of what you see. Then you will start to have a better perception and integrations of forms, shadows, light variances and how they integrate then you will start asking yourself what you like most etc.

It is a beautiful trip.
Just take your camera and enjoy it. šŸ˜‰šŸ˜Š
If i may be honest. I don't know what you mean by building my photographic perception and using the geometry of the frame with the geometry of what i see.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
I had a quick look to your photos. You like landscapes and you like the view of them with the roads the trees and all the elements.
It will help you also if you watch some videos / documentaries in example about Ansel Adams or Michael Kenna, to see and study how they compose or how they were thinking. I used to do it and still do it and it helped me incredibly well to improve myself.
I was studying how they were thinking mostly and not copying the way they worked.
If you you want I can suggest you some videos at some time.

Last edited:
TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I had a quick look to your photos. You like landscapes and you like the view of them with the roads the trees and all the elements.
It will help you also if you watch some videos / documentaries in example about Ansel Adams or Dave Kenna, to see and study how they compose or how they were thinking. I used to do it and still do it and it helped me incredibly well to improve myself.
I was studying how they were thinking mostly and not copying the way they worked.
If you you want I can suggest you some videos at some time.
Thank you, that would be great. Reading about things is great if that works for you, but for me seeing things done work much better.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
If i may be honest. I don't know what you mean by building my photographic perception and using the geometry of the frame with the geometry of what i see.
Well my English might not be the best...

I mean the way we se things through the lens. It was my greatest struggle when I was doing my first steps in photography and it was the hardest part for quite a few years.

We see something beautiful and when we want to photograph it we have to use the right angle, to put our subject in a good aesthetic position in the frame. Like in example using the 'golden ratio' rule or the rule of thirds, or using leading lines, negative and positive space etc depending on the subject or occasion

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Well my English might not be the best...

I mean the way we se things through the lens. It was my greatest struggle when I was doing my first steps in photography and it was the hardest part for quite a few years.

We see something beautiful and when we want to photograph it we have to use the right angle, to put our subject in a good aesthetic position in the frame. Like in example using the 'golden ratio' rule or the rule of thirds, or using leading lines, negative and positive space etc depending on the subject or occasion
Thanks, now i know what you did mean

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
Thank you, that would be great. Reading about things is great if that works for you, but for me seeing things done work much better.

Some videos of interest. I watch them some times late in the evening to study how other photographers see and thing through the lens.

Composition

lightmuncher

lightmuncher

Dec 18, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Mine is now completely hobby enthusiast, as money like many others is tight to afford pro lenses to get that crisp detail, you get with a larger sensor. I was a medical photographer back in the 70's and still should have been years later, but I was a stupid idiot back then. I shot on a lot of 5x4/120/35mm. Took photos in mortuaries, operating theatres, portraits, big meeting of the top waste of money admin, people's ailments in the studio or on the wards. Also slices of human bits, amputations, and yeah to most its all gory stuff. We had own darkrooms so spent hours in there whilst listening to radio4 plays in the afternoon when I can. Sadly never went back to it??

Phil Nicholson

Phil Nicholson

Nov 6, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
This is a very interesting topic, one I had not really thought about! I retired 19 years ago and I am now 69 years old and have COPD, not that it interferes with me doing much and I am still able to walk 8 - 10 miles on occasions.

My wife, Geraldine has had several health problems during 2022, open heart surgery to replace a valve, and now Breast cancer which is not all bad news as she has had surgery on both breasts and is waiting to start radiotherapy beginning this February. We are told all the cancer has been removed and the prognosis is excellent.

Sorry I digressed from the topic, for me it is purely a hobby and although I have always taken ā€œsnapsā€ for more years than I can remember. I guess itā€™s only been in the last 3 years that I actually started to think of taking photos as photography!

I never considered composition at all I would point and shoot as they say, But now I find I think about the angle, where the sun is, would it look better if I place the camera low to the ground, or high up.

Until I bought my drones a Mavic air 2 and a M3P I had never heard of J-peg or Raw! I had no idea how to take a long exposure shot. Sometime in the last 18 months some of these things start to click, which just goes to show you are never too old to learn.

I have now watched numerous YouTube videos on how to do particular shots, and my favourite type of shot is ā€œBlurred waterā€ There is something very calming about those images. So I take them with my camera and drone.

I see photos on this site which I think are fantastic, then I try to emulate some of them, I try to stay away from having both camera and drone of the ā€œAutoā€ setting, and I always shoot in ā€œRaw.ā€

I am still learning my way around photoshop and other editing programs. Itā€™s a great hobby and it will always stay that way! My ambition is to produce photographs to the standard of which I see on this site everyday. So thank you all for inspiring me!