• Thread starter panos_adgr
  • Start date
  • Watchers 3

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
Opinion wanted 

Saronic Sunset

Camera type
DSLR camera
Camera sensor
APS-C (Crop)
EXIF
Nikon D7200
Nikkor AF-S 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
HOYA PRO ND1000 10stop
9 exposures stacked in Mean Mode
Each one was
s 25"
f 6.3
iso 400
@18mm
Saronic Sunset

10 minutes drive from my home is on of my beloved destinations.
A park next to the sea for which I've written about many times.
The last couple of months I didn't travel at all and I didn't have the chance to photograph a lot.
I mostly photographed some street scenes and the park I visit quite often.

Some days ago, the 14th of August the weather changed and gave me the opportunity to capture a nice photo which I'd like to share.
Most of the summer the sky is clear with very hard light and conditions that do not favor at all landscape photography.
But always in August there are 2 to 3 days when weather changes and becomes stormy.
And that day was my chance.

img_20220814224306260.jpg

panos_adgr
panos_adgr
Passionate Amateur Photographer since I was a kid. 2 Publications in Nikon's Photo Contest Calendar 2020 & 2023
View all 6 featured items
Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
very nice picture and I have not actually thought about multiple exposures when using an ND filter, then stacking them in Photoshop, it seems like a great idea and thank you for sharing the method.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
very nice picture and I have not actually thought about multiple exposures when using an ND filter, then stacking them in Photoshop, it seems like a great idea and thank you for sharing the method.
You are welcome Andy!
It is used also for other reasons such as normal landscape shots of high dynamic range. You can do stacking with multiple exposures with high shutter speeds, in case you want to raise shadows in post processing without doing HDR with bracketing. You just stack many images in Mean Mode, noise is canceled and you gain some more dynamic range with cleaner shadows less noise.

When I do long exposure, besides stacking with multiple exposures I also use the ETTR technique (expose to the right) just before highlights clip this achieving well light files with great dynamic range taking advantage of the full potential of the sensor of whatever camera I use. All the above in combination are a must in order to obtain a full in information final stacked image which then is unbelievably 'elastic' in post processing.

The final stacking effect is the equivalent of a long exposure times the shutter speed you used.
In example 9 exposures of 25" will give the same long exposure effect of a single exposure of 225" or 3' and 45".
If your shutter speed is bellow 20" you will need more than 9 exposures.
And Im using 9 exposures because I do it in self timer mode that has the function of 9 sequential shots with the shortest time between them adjusted by me in the camera menu. At 0.5'.
You can also use an external interval timer trigger.

I use also this technique for thunder/ lightning photography. If you use the 'Maximum Stack Mode' then the software combines all the captured lightnings in the final stacked image.

There is also the Median stacked mode that works like Mean but don't use it. The Median stack usually doesn't create a smooth motion effect in the clouds and you can see 'motion steps'.
Mean smoothens them fine.
This is why it is very important to shoot with the shortest possible interval between the shots.

If you need any help I will be glad to tell you anything.

Last edited:
Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Thanks for the detailed info panos_adgr, great tips.
I have stacked images at times on multiple exposures to remove people or moving cars from the frame, and for lightning shots just never thought about doing it for long exposures like your shot.
I usually use ETTR also, as I find it better for the overall image dynamic range as you mention.
Thanks again for the info.

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Hello panos_adgr panos_adgr,
It's another beautiful sky that you have created with this picture.
I need to explore this image layering technique a bit. Thanks for the renewed technical explanations.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
Hello panos_adgr panos_adgr,
It's another beautiful sky that you have created with this picture.
I need to explore this image layering technique a bit. Thanks for the renewed technical explanations.
It's a classic technique and you can find many tutorials in youtube. Some of the tutorials are made a bit complicated really with no reason.
It is used as a technique also in daylight long exposure photography when an ND filter of 10 stop cannot provide longer exposures than 15'' or 20''.
Stacking many exposures in Mean is as doing one exposure of the same duration as the sum of the multiple exposures. But you also have the benefit of noise cancelation. Noise is cancelled because of its random presence in each frame. The software identifies the randomness of noise and cancels it.

You can also stack many photos of high ISO and reduce noise this way.
I might open a thread of how I do it, at some time.

NataliaFlejszarPhoto

NataliaFlejszarPhoto

Staff member
May 18, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Saronic Sunset

10 minutes drive from my home is on of my beloved destinations.
A park next to the sea for which I've written about many times.
The last couple of months I didn't travel at all and I didn't have the chance to photograph a lot.
I mostly photographed some street scenes and the park I visit quite often.

Some days ago, the 14th of August the weather changed and gave me the opportunity to capture a nice photo which I'd like to share.
Most of the summer the sky is clear with very hard light and conditions that do not favor at all landscape photography.
But always in August there are 2 to 3 days when weather changes and becomes stormy.
And that day was my chance.

View attachment 725

An incredible photo and the scenery 😍. I love stormy weather conditions also 😍

NataliaFlejszarPhoto

NataliaFlejszarPhoto

Staff member
May 18, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Goodmorning dear NataliaFlejszarPhoto NataliaFlejszarPhoto!
Yes stormy skies are great! Thank you!
Good morning panos_adgr panos_adgr 😊. You're welcome! The picture is really hypnotizing me 😍.

And how are you Panagiotis? We haven't talked a long time 😊. I can see on your social medias you have forgotten for a while about "small beauties "😁 I really miss them 😍, although I love your landscapes and architecture pictures also 😊

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
Good morning panos_adgr panos_adgr 😊. You're welcome! The picture is really hypnotizing me 😍.

And how are you Panagiotis? We haven't talked a long time 😊. I can see on your social medias you have forgotten for a while about "small beauties "😁 I really miss them 😍, although I love your landscapes and architecture pictures also 😊
I'm fine Natalia!
Yes it's been a while since I've been last time in my favourite botanic garden. I might visit it soon. Small 'beauties' are so inspiring!😄

NataliaFlejszarPhoto

NataliaFlejszarPhoto

Staff member
May 18, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I'm fine Natalia!
Yes it's been a while since I've been last time in my favourite botanic garden. I might visit it soon. Small 'beauties' are so inspiring!😄

They are! I ve been back to macro last few months and visited Botanical garden also a few times and in parks... I've been inspired especially with flowers last time 😊. I posted two new pictures on Macro Deire! I'll post more tomorrow! 😊

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
They are! I ve been back to macro last few months and visited Botanical garden also a few times and in parks... I've been inspired especially with flowers last time 😊. I posted two new pictures on Macro Deire! I'll post more tomorrow! 😊
I'll have a look there as well!