Photography Talk lenses

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

General photography discussion.
Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Alright, not sure how the 100-400 will work on 7d m2 then. 🤔
the lens will work great to be honest jack, even if you add a 2x converter later it will be ok also.
Some people complain that the autofocus is not as fast when using a converter but I have never ever had any issues

Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
the lens will work great to be honest jack, even if you add a 2x converter later it will be ok also.
Some people complain that the autofocus is not as fast when using a converter but I have never ever had any issues

You think it will work great with 7d m2? Is a bit old camera, I meant in terms of model, but I bought brand new.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
You think it will work great with 7d m2? Is a bit old camera, I meant in terms of model, but I bought brand new.
No reason why it shouldn't.
Canon lenses work great on all EOS cameras, (forwards & backwards compatibility is great with Canon)
The image stabilisation and auto focus will work great on the 7D as they are from around about the same time anyway.
However,
If you add a 1.4x converter, the lens becomes f/8.0 so only the centre AF area will be functional on the 7D, but that's no issue for a long lens anyway.
If you add a 2x converter, the lens becomes f/11.0 so the autofocus will not function, everything else will work fine

Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
No reason why it shouldn't.
Canon lenses work great on all EOS cameras, (forwards & backwards compatibility is great with Canon)
The image stabilisation and auto focus will work great on the 7D as they are from around about the same time anyway.
However,
If you add a 1.4x converter, the lens becomes f/8.0 so only the centre AF area will be functional on the 7D, but that's no issue for a long lens anyway.
If you add a 2x converter, the lens becomes f/11.0 so the autofocus will not function, everything else will work fine

Alright, it’s pointless to add 2x converter if the autofocus won’t work. What’s the reason that the autofocus won’t work at that aperture ? Due of aperture I believe?

I don’t really think that at that aperture you can get nice images.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Alright, it’s pointless to add 2x converter if the autofocus won’t work. What’s the reason that the autofocus won’t work at that aperture ? Due of aperture I believe?

I don’t really think that at that aperture you can get nice images.
A converter reduces the amount of light reaching the image sensor and the AF sensor assembly. The AF sensors on a 7D are f/5.6 I believe except the centre one which is f/2.8.
So when you add a 2x converter the AF sensor cannot focus as the working aperture is beyond their capability, therefore the camera automatically switches to MF.
It should work in Live View mode though, as the camera uses a different focusing approach in Live View

Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
A converter reduces the amount of light reaching the image sensor and the AF sensor assembly. The AF sensors on a 7D are f/5.6 I believe except the centre one which is f/2.8.
So when you add a 2x converter the AF sensor cannot focus as the working aperture is beyond their capability, therefore the camera automatically switches to MF.
It should work in Live View mode though, as the camera uses a different focusing approach in Live View

Alright, that's good to know, something I didn't knew.

But then the quality of the photo must be affected as well?

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Alright, that's good to know, something I didn't knew.

But then the quality of the photo must be affected as well?
Not really Jack as the AF sensor assembly is different to the Image sensor, so the image sensor will still capture low light depending on it's sensitivity.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Not really Jack as the AF sensor assembly is different to the Image sensor, so the image sensor will still capture low light depending on it's sensitivity.

Alright, so the image quality won't be affected? But then I believe it would be a problem taking the pictures in low light.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Alright, so the image quality won't be affected? But then I believe it would be a problem taking the pictures in low light.
You have lost me Jack to be honest... Not sure why you think it would be a problem taking pictures in low light - I thought we were talking about auto focus here, which will work fine without a converter attached.
You should be familiar with your camera and what its capabilities are in low light anyway

Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
You have lost me Jack to be honest... Not sure why you think it would be a problem taking pictures in low light - I thought we were talking about auto focus here, which will work fine without a converter attached.
You should be familiar with your camera and what its capabilities are in low light anyway

My camera performs ok in low light, everything above 900 iSO isn’t good on pictures, noise starts to be present on pictures.

The thing is if the aperture will be f8 then I’ll have to bump my ISO a bit high, however the noise can be removed during post processing.

Regarding auto focus, need to check if it will work on 7D M2 with 2x converter. Other is a bit pointless in my honest opinion.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Regarding auto focus, need to check if it will work on 7D M2 with 2x converter. Other is a bit pointless in my honest opinion.
good review here Jack, and explains that the 100-400 IS II with 2x converter will disable the AF on a 7D MKII because the aperture becomes f/11.0

Teleconverters review is about half way through the review, it explains about 1.4x & 2x converters on mirrorless & 7D MkII..

Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
good review here Jack, and explains that the 100-400 IS II with 2x converter will disable the AF on a 7D MKII because the aperture becomes f/11.0

Teleconverters review is about half way through the review, it explains about 1.4x & 2x converters on mirrorless & 7D MkII..

thanks Andy Smith Andy Smith . Will definitely read that.