Photo editing Best editing softwares

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

This topic is opened to chat about photo editing softwares.

Best editing softwares ?

• Total voters
Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
What’s the best editing software in your opinion, and what’s the most you are using . We can talk about these softwares in this topic.

you can vote 2 softwares.

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I voted for "other" because I use DXO Photolab. And I voted for Lightroom because I still have it installed on my computer, but I don't use it at all since Adobe switched to the subscription system.

What I particularly like about DXO Photolab is their noise reduction feature (Deep Prime) which is absolutely amazing. I also like the way they control the colours. Another strong point of this program is DXO's huge database of the combination of various cameras and lenses, which allows the program to automatically correct the defects associated with various camera and lens combinations based on the company's measurements.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
I have been using for many years the Adobe Photoshop CC. I've also tried DXO, Capture One, Nikon Capture NX-D , ON1 but I could never work with these...

In the beginning I thought I couldn't switch or use another software because I was and I'm used in Photoshop. But it wasn't that. I'm so accustomed to the use and result of each Photoshop tool that my Post Processing is almost determined by the time I take the photo.

I study my subject / image before I take the photo. I take my time to study the weather, the light, the scene and at the same time I imagine the final image. All these things work in my brain uniformly and the knowledge I have in what each tool makes in Photoshop plus the experience I have on my cameras image quality and final results, compose a complete estimated preview of potentials in my mind, of my work before I press the shutter.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I voted for "other" because I use DXO Photolab. And I voted for Lightroom because I still have it installed on my computer, but I don't use it at all since Adobe switched to the subscription system.

What I particularly like about DXO Photolab is their noise reduction feature (Deep Prime) which is absolutely amazing. I also like the way they control the colours. Another strong point of this program is DXO's huge database of the combination of various cameras and lenses, which allows the program to automatically correct the defects associated with various camera and lens combinations based on the company's measurements.
Never heard about that software , I need to check it out. I’m terms of pricing , is that expensive? Also, when you say big database what do you mean By that?

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I have been using for many years the Adobe Photoshop CC. I've also tried DXO, Capture One, Nikon Capture NX-D , ON1 but I could never work with these...

In the beginning I thought I couldn't switch or use another software because I was and I'm used in Photoshop. But it wasn't that. I'm so accustomed to the use and result of each Photoshop tool that my Post Processing is almost determined by the time I take the photo.

I study my subject / image before I take the photo. I take my time to study the weather, the light, the scene and at the same time I imagine the final image. All these things work in my brain uniformly and the knowledge I have in what each tool makes in Photoshop plus the experience I have on my cameras image quality and final results, compose a complete estimated preview of potentials in my mind, of my work before I press the shutter.

I have tried lots of softwares as well, but still using Lr because I’m used to it. I know you like to put your time in your photography. I do check the weather as well when going out, and if it’s nice outside I tend to take my gear, if not then maybe just the small camera.

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Never heard about that software , I need to check it out. I’m terms of pricing , is that expensive? Also, when you say big database what do you mean By that?
You can download the programme and use it for free for 30 days. The price is about £200 if I'm not mistaken. It's a perpetual license.
About the database, DXO does tests with a lot of cameras and lenses, and a lot of camera and lens combinations, and measures the flaws there may be. Their program then automatically corrects any defects based on the results of the tests done in their lab.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
My workflow incorporates sometimes a lot of luminosity masking, which is all geared up for in photoshop with my settings and plug ins. So I use Adobe Camera Raw, into photoshop usually in my current flow. I also use Lightroom for batch editing, and printing because it is so easy, plus I use Lightroom for tagging images and exporting various images to different settings if I am going to sell them online.
I use Affinity only for stacking images really, as I prefer to use photoshop as I am so accustomed to working in it now.

• Admin
Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
You can download the programme and use it for free for 30 days. The price is about £200 if I'm not mistaken. It's a perpetual license.
About the database, DXO does tests with a lot of cameras and lenses, and a lot of camera and lens combinations, and measures the flaws there may be. Their program then automatically corrects any defects based on the results of the tests done in their lab.

I think you have lens correction on Adobe Lightroom as well. 🤔

£200 that's a bit pricey 😅

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I voted for Lightroom and photoshop. Still learning to use them to edit my photos. I must admit i do not go into details when shooting photos as some of you do. When i go for the afternoon walk with my dog i take my camera with me and most of the time i do not have anything prepared. I shoot what i come along during the walk.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
I voted for Lightroom and photoshop. Still learning to use them to edit my photos. I must admit i do not go into details when shooting photos as some of you do. When i go for the afternoon walk with my dog i take my camera with me and most of the time i do not have anything prepared. I shoot what i come along during the walk.
And that's the most nice thing to do! After all it's all about having a nice time and enjoying it. 😉

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I think you have lens correction on Adobe Lightroom as well. 🤔

£200 that's a bit pricey 😅
Yes, there is a lens correction on LR.
What is unique with DXO, is the combination of a lens with a camera correction.
For example, they take a Nikon D7500 and use it with different lenses and measure the defects for each camera and lens combination and then automatically correct them in their program.
And, yes, photography is an expensive hobby!
The advantage with a perpetual license like DXO is that you pay £200 once and not a subscription like Adobe.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
For example, they take a Nikon D7500 and use it with different lenses and measure the defects for each camera and lens combination and then automatically correct them in their program.
The advantage with a perpetual license like DXO is that you pay £200 once and not a subscription like Adobe.
I've used DXO some years ago. I never got along with the edit tools and settings. I liked though the correction it did for lens and camera. I stopped using it though because I couldn't take control of my work flow not because of DXO but because I became better familiar with the environment of Photoshop.

As for the license I will agree with you that the subscription is at least a bad method... The Lightroom classic version though I thing that it is still available for purchase with a license.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
But how is it when there is a new version comes out? How much do you need to pay for the upgrade to a new version?

Morexp57

Morexp57

Feb 12, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I've used DXO some years ago. I never got along with the edit tools and settings. I liked though the correction it did for lens and camera. I stopped using it though because I couldn't take control of my work flow not because of DXO but because I became better familiar with the environment of Photoshop.

As for the license I will agree with you that the subscription is at least a bad method... The Lightroom classic version though I thing that it is still available for purchase with a license.
I don't think it is possible to buy the classic version of LR today. I managed to buy it a few years ago, but with great difficulty. It took months for the online shop I ordered it from to get a copy for me.
I don't know how to use Photoshop and I regret not being able to buy a version as there are features I miss (focus stacking, for example).

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
I don't think it is possible to buy the classic version of LR today. I managed to buy it a few years ago, but with great difficulty. It took months for the online shop I ordered it from to get a copy for me.
I don't know how to use Photoshop and I regret not being able to buy a version as there are features I miss (focus stacking, for example).
All the basic editing is done in Adobe Camera Raw in Photoshop. The rest of the hard staff is done in Photoshop. It took some time to learn how to use it. It is hard in the beginning but when you realize how it works then it becomes a lot easier.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
Affinity is a very good, inexpensive alternative Morexp57, and has nice in built focus stacking. Have you had a look at it?

C

Chavezshutter

Feb 4, 2022
I voted Lightroom and Photoshop. While Lightroom does a lot of my editing, I would easly trade it for something like ON1 Photo RAW, specially since it apperently handles Sony RAW files (ARW) better then Lightroom but then again I'm unaware of ON1 Photo RAW's photo catalogue capability - I have a lot of photos for which I need some kind of system of catalogue to keep in order.

As for photoshop, I use it mostly for image manipulation and in that space I dont see it being equaled or surpassed for a very long time. It is like the encyclopedia of image trickery and has had too many years to be refined. There are programs that can do some of what photoshop does but none are as comprehensive or have as many ways to accomplish a task as what Photoshop has.

Last edited:
Jack

Jack

Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes

I will have to check it, yes agree, it’s better to pay once and that’s it. Hate subscriptions .