Photography Full frame vs crop camera

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

General photography discussion.
panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
I agree. And manual focus with a film SLR is much easier than manual focus with todays DSLR. Focusing in the nikkormat (microprism center) or in the OM-10 (split image with microprism ring) is much precise than manual focus in my D5600.
I learned to shoot with my grandmothers Zeiss Ikoflex, a very old ( around 1935 or so), dual-lens reflex, 6x6 format film camera. 12 exposures for each 120 film roll. Of course, fully manual, no photometer. Just a table suggesting speed/aperture combinations for typical scenes. The level of detail in those 6x6 negatives was impressive...
I love this kind of conversations.
In the other forum Macroderie I once wrote the story of my life about photography.
I learned photography on a Kiev 4 rangefinder camera. I was about 10 - 11 years old. Focusing was possible through a 'double idol' frame in the center of the viewfinder where I had to align a mirror image on the real idol image. The meter was a honeycomb surface on the front of the camera and on the top was an analogue needle which I had to 'center' on the center mark of the meter adjusting the shutter speed and aperture. With this camera and later with a kiev19 I learned how to meter without the meter of the camera. With the old way. I learned by heart a chart of shutter speed and aperture combinations for any given light situation plus some tricks in case I was shooting in beach or snow (a lot of reflected strong light).
These things taught me to have a sense of the light around me and understand it. This follows me even today. There many times when I understand that my camera meters are 'fooled' by hard lighting situations. The truth is that modern cameras are very advanced and errors occur rare and when the user lacks of basic knowledge. A fact seen often in social media questions such as 'why my camera underexposes in this phot' ...

I then moved to a Minolta X300S (I loved this camera) which was my first 'real' good camera. After this camera I had a Canon EOS 50 (I hated that camera. I even hate it to this day šŸ˜‚) Then I bought my first Nikon the F90X and then my most most beloved Nikon FM2!!! I still own them to day, My FM2 is absolute Mint Condition. With it I took some great Ilford B&W.

Jack

Jack

Photo Shooter :)
Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
The new Canon FF are heavy hitters, very impressive cameras. And pricey šŸ˜Ÿ just like all the good gear. My brother and I have been going backwards and bought a very nice pentax LX film camera. It's so damn cool, all analogue and yet somehow so advanced for its time, very James Bond šŸ¤£
not surprised of their prices, because of shortness of microchips . Never had a Ff camera, so donā€™t know how results are, but i believe should be high end results.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Well not exactly...
Generally it said to be cheaper, to design a mirrorless. First of all they 've got rid of all the moving mirror parts and the complicated af system behind the mirror with the secondary mirrors. They got rid of the pentaprisms and al these were replaced with the evf.
The functions are now based in good software development and processor technology which are quite evolved in our time. The sensor technology is also quite advanced having already great sensors with great dynamic range and speed.
It was a very good chance to raise a bit the prices and create products with better margin. It is not my opinion. It is what I read from articles, reviews etc.

In any case I still use DSLRs and not intend to migrate soon, as I'm greatly satisfied by my system.

I have an M50 Mk1 and 7D M2, happy with both. But tend to use my old 7d M2 most of the time because has better grip than the M50. I went to the camera shop an other day to check Canon RP, and seems is bigger in size and the grip is better.

And you right, new mirror less camera are based on good software and modern technology.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
I have an M50 Mk1 and 7D M2, happy with both. But tend to use my old 7d M2 most of the time because has better grip than the M50. I went to the camera shop an other day to check Canon RP, and seems is bigger in size and the grip is better.

And you right, new mirror less camera are based on good software and modern technology.
I went to a shop a couple days before and I saw the RP also. I looked at it because we had the conversation some days ago. And it indeed looks nice. It is not small but it is compact and looks well made. Yes the grip looks quite good. It is very important to have a good grip.

panos_adgr

panos_adgr

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
No
That's good point, especially for people with big hands :D. I purchased the M50 as a gift to my gf :D
Lucky youšŸ˜Š
It is good to have a partner who understands your interests and respects them.

Jack

Jack

Staff member
1 1 1
Jan 29, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Lucky youšŸ˜Š
It is good to have a partner who understands your interests and respects them.
Highly agree, we try to have same hobbies. I believe that a hobby is really important for mental health.