New wide angle lens

Welcome to Explorness!

Looking for a peaceful place to meet other photographers from all around the world ? Then join us for FREE!!!

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
The camera i am using is a Sony a7rii and at the moment i only have the Samyang 35mm f/1.8 AF lens as a full frame lens. There is so much information to be found online and sometimes it is confusing, one says the lens is great and another says it is just ok or wouldnt even use it if given for free.

I am looking for 2 more lenses. One a tele lens and a wide angle lens. I am not sure if i want to go for a zoom lens for the wide angle or a prime lens. Maximum focal length of 28mm for prime lens, for zoom lens it should have at least a minimum length of 24 mm.

It probably will be a used lens, budget is around €1000. Not sure if anyone uses sony full frame a7r cameras. What lens do you own and can you recommend?

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Kit lenses are more than adequate TMG1961, keep shooting with what you have and save your money until the right lens which you really want comes along within the budget you have saved.
Practice your skills with the kit lens and the Laowa macro, it is time well spent and doesn't cost anything. :)
This morning i took some photos with the Laowa lens and the 55-210 and 16-50 kit lenses. The problem is nog the lens or the camera but me. Not saying that my settings are not good, but i need to work more on holding the camera rock steady, i have a little shake which at longer focal lengths are causing the blurry photos. And as i think of it, my hands are more painful since a week or 2 along with some other joints in my body.

Have to rethink my shooting, see what setting will be the best, A, S or M with auto ISO or a fixed ISO setting. I always used to shoot in M with ISO set to a fixed value and then use the shutterspeed to get the exposure correct or as correct as possible. But maybe set ISO to auto and use a minimum shutterspeed of maybe 1/250 or 1/500 along with aperture priority mode. The longest lens i have now is the 55-210 and that is a 82.5-315 full frame equivalent.

Andy Smith

Andy Smith

Feb 10, 2022
Edit my images
No
This morning i took some photos with the Laowa lens and the 55-210 and 16-50 kit lenses. The problem is nog the lens or the camera but me. Not saying that my settings are not good, but i need to work more on holding the camera rock steady, i have a little shake which at longer focal lengths are causing the blurry photos. And as i think of it, my hands are more painful since a week or 2 along with some other joints in my body.

Have to rethink my shooting, see what setting will be the best, A, S or M with auto ISO or a fixed ISO setting. I always used to shoot in M with ISO set to a fixed value and then use the shutterspeed to get the exposure correct or as correct as possible. But maybe set ISO to auto and use a minimum shutterspeed of maybe 1/250 or 1/500 along with aperture priority mode. The longest lens i have now is the 55-210 and that is a 82.5-315 full frame equivalent.
Using auto ISO is ok but can generate a noisy image if it goes too high. Using a faster shutter speed will help with the shakes for sure.
Another thing you could try is a cheap monopod, which could help steady the shots and are light and easy to carry around. Check your current tripod, as a lot of them have 1x leg that can be removed and used asa monopod. A small bean bag is also useful to rest the camera on as a makeshift support on rocks, walls or anything else that is close by.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
Using auto ISO is ok but can generate a noisy image if it goes too high. Using a faster shutter speed will help with the shakes for sure.
Another thing you could try is a cheap monopod, which could help steady the shots and are light and easy to carry around. Check your current tripod, as a lot of them have 1x leg that can be removed and used asa monopod. A small bean bag is also useful to rest the camera on as a makeshift support on rocks, walls or anything else that is close by.
My current tripod is a Velbon DV-30, you can't remove a leg to turn into a monopod. The tripod itself is not a lightweight, weighs around 1.5 kg. I have set the iso to 100-1600 to make sure the noise is not too much and set the minimum shutterspeed to 1/250. But i need to do some further looking into what gives the best results with my camera and lenses.

C

Chavezshutter

Feb 4, 2022
My current tripod is a Velbon DV-30, you can't remove a leg to turn into a monopod. The tripod itself is not a lightweight, weighs around 1.5 kg. I have set the iso to 100-1600 to make sure the noise is not too much and set the minimum shutterspeed to 1/250. But i need to do some further looking into what gives the best results with my camera and lenses.
I shoot either manual about 95% or aparture priority for time critical shooting like event shooting or street photography. Setting ISO limits is a good move, you dont want crazy ISO and 1600 is also where i also set my upper limit for aperture priority. Getting focus can always be tricky, AF will work until contrast between subject is too close. Learn manual focus and focus will never be an issue. Buy a lens when and if you're ready, dont stress it, you don't NEED a lens, you want a lens . Leave it aside and concentrate in photography, plenty to learn with whatever lens you have, dive deep into getting the most of out your camera and editing, its all a journey and it takes lots of time, practice and experimenting. Equipment is always second to technical skills.

TMG1961

TMG1961

Feb 8, 2022
Edit my images
Yes
I shoot either manual about 95% or aparture priority for time critical shooting like event shooting or street photography. Setting ISO limits is a good move, you dont want crazy ISO and 1600 is also where i also set my upper limit for aperture priority. Getting focus can always be tricky, AF will work until contrast between subject is too close. Learn manual focus and focus will never be an issue. Buy a lens when and if you're ready, dont stress it, you don't NEED a lens, you want a lens . Leave it aside and concentrate in photography, plenty to learn with whatever lens you have, dive deep into getting the most of out your camera and editing, its all a journey and it takes lots of time, practice and experimenting. Equipment is always second to technical skills.
Thanks for the answer. I don't have much experience with manual focus besides using it for macro. For landscape and architecture i haven't used it at all. For the time being the lens search is paused, i will eventually run into a new or used lens that ticks all the boxes.